Season prediction (2019-20) - thru Selection Sunday Mar 2020

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
PERFORMANCE
OOC = 10-3 (losses to LSU, Purdue, Wichita St)
A-10 Reg Season = 13-5 (losses to Dayton, UR, Rhody, Davidson, St Louis)
A-10 Tourney = 1-1 (loss in semis)
-----------------------------
Selection Sunday Record = 24-9; KP = 44 Overall (Offense = 91; Defense = 29); NET = 42; NCAA Tourney = 10 seed (at-large)

MINUTES
Starters = 120

Evans - 27
Jenkins - 26
Vann - 25
Santos-Silva - 22
Williams - 20

Rotation = 65
Simms - 17
Douglas - 16
Crowfield - 13
Hyland - 10
Curry - 9

Other = 15
Ward - 7
McAllister - 5
Clark - 3

Total = 200

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
Seems a little optimistic in OOC but I'll be happy to be wrong.
I'm seeing more Ward and less Curry because we will need the size.
Other than that seems reasonable. I need to see the promise become reality, not a Koolaid kinda guy but its time we got a step up.

May 4, 2012
Why are you here? So you say we will be worse than last season? If this was were to happen it would be very disappointing.
Only if you fail to manage your expectations.
Would you rather be disappointed or delighted ?
I prefer delighted.
Sluggish OOC is a constant for us. Id love to see that change but I have to see it to believe it.
We did well in a weak conference last year. We will have to see whether the conference has gotten better as well as to see if we fixed our weaknesses.

Mcuff

Top Member
Jul 27, 2017
Why are you here? So you say we will be worse than last season? If this was were to happen it would be very disappointing.
We may be a better team and have a worse record. The A10 is going to be a lot better this year. Dayton and URI will be a lot better and make a push to make the tournament. I would be surprised if Davidson doesn't make tournament. He is trying to make a reasonable unbiased prediction.

Dabrie

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I don't expect to win every game so I am managing expectations.:D However, the OP feels that we will lose all of our "tough" games. This team is too experienced and well coached to just lay down against good competition.

Reactions: vcugq08
May 4, 2012
I don't expect to win every game so I am managing expectations.:D However, the OP feels that we will lose all of our "tough" games. This team is too experienced and well coached to just lay down against good competition.
I hope you are right. While I don't believe we will lay down against what are supposed to be stouter 2019-2020 A10 teams, we will have to be better than last year to do it. My biggest concern, and it started last year is that teams will make life much harder for MSS and we are thin at big. Thats why I see Ward getting 10-15 minutes. Not necessarily because he's ready for it but just because somebody has to rebound.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
In a normal year 24-9 is a perfectly reasonable prediction, but this year it's insulting. This iteration of VCU basketball is going to have the highest upside of any team in program history. Barring an injury to Evans or MSS, this group is too mature and poised to collapse during big games.

29-5 overall

OOC
11-2
Losses to Purdue and Wichita St

A-10
15-3
losses at Dayton, at Rhody, and a random Q2 road trap game

A10 Tournament champs

KenPom: 15
NET: 13

Q1: 3-3
Q2: 6-2
Q3/4: 17-0

NCAA 4 seed.

Wins against at-large field: (7) LSU, FSU or Tennessee, Dayton, Davidson, at Davidson, Dayton (A10 title game)

And this isn't even my kool-aid prediction!

Last edited:

Dabrie

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Maybe we combat that by spreading out the court more this year. As it stands now everyone is healthy. If we can avoid serious injuies I feel real good about our chances. Even without the cool aid.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
PERFORMANCE
OOC = 10-3 (losses to LSU, Purdue, Wichita St)
A-10 Reg Season = 13-5 (losses to Dayton, UR, Rhody, Davidson, St Louis)
A-10 Tourney = 1-1 (loss in semis)
-----------------------------
Selection Sunday Record = 24-9; KP = 44 Overall (Offense = 91; Defense = 29); NET = 42; NCAA Tourney = 10 seed (at-large)

MINUTES
Starters = 120

Evans - 27
Jenkins - 26
Vann - 25
Santos-Silva - 22
Williams - 20

Rotation = 65
Simms - 17
Douglas - 16
Crowfield - 13
Hyland - 10
Curry - 9

Other = 15
Ward - 7
McAllister - 5
Clark - 3

Total = 200
Man I get out of that is we will beat either Utenn or fsu!

Hops

Top Member
Insider
Jul 14, 2013
OOC 11-2 (losses to Purdue, Wichita St)
A10 15-3 (losses to Dayton, Davidson, +1)
Tour 2-1 (loss in final)
28-6 Six seed

Dabrie

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
People have seen asking him that for over a decade now.
I'm not one to personally attack anyone on here, however, I come here to share my excitement for the team with fellow fans, not someone who roots for mediocrity. I do think his minute distributions are pretry close.

Reactions: Celticguy

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I don't know what our record will be....I don't know which games we will lose.....

However..... My prediction is that sparring some unforeseen circumstances (serious injury, suspensions or anything of that nature).... VCU will be a lock for the NCAA Tournament..... the only thing people will be wondering going into the selection show is the 3 W's..... 1. What Seed are we? 2. Who are we playing? 3. Where are we playing?

Also.... while this is not a prediction, but more so a Spoiler..... 1 Month from Tomorrow, Wednesday November 13th 2019, at 6 PM in the STU..... It will be one of the loudest atmospheres in the STU ever assembled.... but unlike the Texas game, where there were a lot of cheers for former VCU HC Shaka Smart returning to the STU for the first time..... WW & LSU will not be welcomed back with cheers.... but more so deafening boos that will continue for the entire length of the game until WW walks off the court.

I honestly think this game will might ultimately be the loudest game in STU history when all is said and done.