Season prediction (2019-20) - thru Selection Sunday Mar 2020

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Why does everyone predict a loss to Wichita St? I know they return just about everyone, but so do we!
Home court counts for a lot and the Shockers have a strong home court advantage just like we do.

I think we have the better team, but wouldn’t be surprised if we drop that one. Gregg Marshall and the Shockers are going to be back this year with a vengeance IMHO.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Home court counts for a lot and the Shockers have a strong home court advantage just like we do.

I think we have the better team, but wouldn’t be surprised if we drop that one. Gregg Marshall and the Shockers are going to be back this year with a vengeance IMHO.
Don't much care for the guy's personality, but he's a good coach and will have his team prepared. Expect a difficult game.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Don't much care for the guy's personality, but he's a good coach and will have his team prepared. Expect a difficult game.

Him and Tom Crean are the worst. Remember during the 2012 NCAA tournament vs IU? Shaka helped an IU player up and complimented him on his effort, and Crean screamed at Shaka "COACH YOUR TEAM!"

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
In a normal year 24-9 is a perfectly reasonable prediction, but this year it's insulting. This iteration of VCU basketball is going to have the highest upside of any team in program history. Barring an injury to Evans or MSS, this group is too mature and poised to collapse during big games.

29-5 overall

OOC
11-2
Losses to Purdue and Wichita St

A-10
15-3
losses at Dayton, at Rhody, and a random Q2 road trap game

A10 Tournament champs

KenPom: 15
NET: 13

Q1: 3-3
Q2: 6-2
Q3/4: 17-0

NCAA 4 seed.

Wins against at-large field: (7) LSU, FSU or Tennessee, Dayton, Davidson, at Davidson, Dayton (A10 title game)

And this isn't even my kool-aid prediction!
Highest upside ever. I think we are thin in the middle and we should be a 25-30 ranked team. We will win at least one NCAA tournament game and have a shot at the 2nd.

Unlike a lot of folks, I thought the FF team could have been a top 16 team. Thing is they under performed in the regular season. That team was a veteran team with talent at every spot. Jamie & either Ju/DJ up front with Brad B, Ed Nixon, and a veteran 4 year starter pg in Joey. B Rozzell, Brandeberg, Theus, off the bench. These guys beat our present guys IMO.

However, I think we go or 11-2, 10-3 OOC. I think we defeat LSU and lose to Purdue, FSU, if Tenn is the team we face we beat them, maybe Charleston. A10 lose to Dayton at their place, and either Slu or Rhode Island on the road as well, possibly a surprise loss. 16-2 maybe 15-3. A10 tournament 3-0 control our own fate.

Worst case 10-3, 15-3, 3-0. 28-56 5th seed NCAA tournament.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Him and Tom Crean are the worst. Remember during the 2012 NCAA tournament vs IU? Shaka helped an IU player up and complimented him on his effort, and Crean screamed at Shaka "COACH YOUR TEAM!"
Yep. SMDH Crean was un hinged because the thought they were going to lose.

May 4, 2012
Seems a little optimistic in OOC but I'll be happy to be wrong.
I'm seeing more Ward and less Curry because we will need the size.
Other than that seems reasonable. I need to see the promise become reality, not a Koolaid kinda guy but its time we got a step up.
May have change my mind about Curry. If he can bring the D Mr Crow may surrender a few minutes.
Glad Ward seems to be ahead of the curve and those will be more productive than usual. Likeing Hyland's ability to give productive minutes as well.
And it will be fun seeing the rest of the new kids nipping the heels of the upperclassmen. Hopfully that can even their performance.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
..... WW & LSU will not be welcomed back with cheers.... but more so deafening boos that will continue for the entire length of the game until WW walks off the court........
Two thoughts.
  1. I think you will be surprised as while there will be a number of boo birds, there will be some cheers
  2. If WW stays at VCU as little as one week longer, we are not enjoying the MR era as he was on his way to other interiews the next day. If Ed waits 24 hours to call MR, there is a good chance he is at Duquesne and not VCU

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Two thoughts.
  1. I think you will be surprised as while there will be a number of boo birds, there will be some cheers
  2. If WW stays at VCU as little as one week longer, we are not enjoying the MR era as he was on his way to other interiews the next day. If Ed waits 24 hours to call MR, there is a good chance he is at Duquesne and not VCU
Nah, F him.

Ramwitch

Top Member
Dec 2, 2014
Two thoughts.
Officially going to the game. There will be boos from me

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Two thoughts.

Maybe, Maybe Not.

I honestly think most of the people cheering him, will be sarcastic cheers because him leaving allowed us to bring MR back. Sure WW did some good while here at VCU. Kept our NCAA Tourney streak alive and such.... but it's no secret of how much dislike there was for the guy.... He is not going to get the same reception that Shaka did.... No Chance.

Also, I'm not so sure about that. Sure Duquesne was/is a step up from Rice....however there were at least 2 huge factors that made MR pounce at the opportunity to come back to VCU.... 1. He knew VCU quite well, loved this fan base, loved this school, not to mention all the alums that he once coached who always come back at some point during their off seasons to work out & visit. 2. He knows the Richmond area very well, probably better than a lot of D1 coaches.... I mean heck, the man worked right up the road at Randolph Macon for like a decade before leaving and coming to VCU. I believe it's public knowledge that him & his wife actually really like this area.

Not that Pittsburgh isn't nice and all, definitely a good sports town.... but other than Duquesne being a better job than Rice.... what ties does MR have to the school or the area? I don't know of any.

I believe Shaka made the comment saying Texas was on his "short list of schools" that he would leave VCU for... after turning down Job after Job after Job before finally taking the Longhorns job.... and even then the rumors were that it was a back and forth on that night. One min hes staying, next hes going, next hes saying.... etc. Besides a P5/Big East job.... I honestly believe that VCU was one of the few jobs that MR woulda left Rice early for. I honestly didn't see him leaving for any other team in the A10.... maybe Dayton when Miller left because Dayton was a school at or near the top most years.... but I honestly don't think he would've left for Duquesne. Especially since he just got Rice going right before the VCU job opened.

Reactions: rammad90

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Maybe, Maybe Not.

I honestly think most of the people cheering him, will be sarcastic cheers because him leaving allowed us to bring MR back. Sure WW did some good while here at VCU. Kept our NCAA Tourney streak alive and such.... but it's no secret of how much dislike there was for the guy.... He is not going to get the same reception that Shaka did.... No Chance.

Also, I'm not so sure about that. Sure Duquesne was/is a step up from Rice....however there were at least 2 huge factors that made MR pounce at the opportunity to come back to VCU.... 1. He knew VCU quite well, loved this fan base, loved this school, not to mention all the alums that he once coached who always come back at some point during their off seasons to work out & visit. 2. He knows the Richmond area very well, probably better than a lot of D1 coaches.... I mean heck, the man worked right up the road at Randolph Macon for like a decade before leaving and coming to VCU. I believe it's public knowledge that him & his wife actually really like this area.

Not that Pittsburgh isn't nice and all, definitely a good sports town.... but other than Duquesne being a better job than Rice.... what ties does MR have to the school or the area? I don't know of any.

I believe Shaka made the comment saying Texas was on his "short list of schools" that he would leave VCU for... after turning down Job after Job after Job before finally taking the Longhorns job.... and even then the rumors were that it was a back and forth on that night. One min hes staying, next hes going, next hes saying.... etc. Besides a P5/Big East job.... I honestly believe that VCU was one of the few jobs that MR woulda left Rice early for. I honestly didn't see him leaving for any other team in the A10.... maybe Dayton when Miller left because Dayton was a school at or near the top most years.... but I honestly don't think he would've left for Duquesne. Especially since he just got Rice going right before the VCU job opened.
Rowdy, I tend to agree with you. Even if Mike left for Duquesne, I dont think he would have had any issue with telling them he was headed to VCU. Its not as if it were Pitt. For all the reasons you enumerated and its Duquense for goodnesses sake.

Also, sure Duquesne would have understood.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk