Season prediction (2019-20) - thru Selection Sunday Mar 2020

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
I don't know what our record will be....I don't know which games we will lose.....

However..... My prediction is that sparring some unforeseen circumstances (serious injury, suspensions or anything of that nature).... VCU will be a lock for the NCAA Tournament..... the only thing people will be wondering going into the selection show is the 3 W's..... 1. What Seed are we? 2. Who are we playing? 3. Where are we playing?

Also.... while this is not a prediction, but more so a Spoiler..... 1 Month from Tomorrow, Wednesday November 13th 2019, at 6 PM in the STU..... It will be one of the loudest atmospheres in the STU ever assembled.... but unlike the Texas game, where there were a lot of cheers for former VCU HC Shaka Smart returning to the STU for the first time..... WW & LSU will not be welcomed back with cheers.... but more so deafening boos that will continue for the entire length of the game until WW walks off the court.

I honestly think this game will might ultimately be the loudest game in STU history when all is said and done.
I gotta disagree. Time will tell. A barometer of VCU class maybe, IDK.

Ramikin

Top Member
Insider
Sep 5, 2016
Shockers could be the only ooc loss. That’s going to be a tuff one. I fully expect us to plow the rest of it. Our D is going to be too much too soon for early season opponents. If 3’s are falling and turnovers are limited, we could run the the whole dern thing.

A10. Dayton and Davidson are really good, but not good enough to escape an inexplicable loss or two (or three). That’s not to say we won’t drop a couple road games, that’s to be expected, but a reg season repeat and tournament championship will send us to the dance a 4 seed with a record of 30 and 4. A legit contender for the sweet 16 or better.

Overly optimistic? I don’t think so. This team doesn’t need to produce any miracles. None of our players need a superhuman offseason. We don’t need a freshman phenom. All that’s needed is progress. The kind of progress that’s 100% within reason. 3pt shooting to 35% or better and turnovers to 8 a game. That’s all it’s going to take.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
Put me down for 25-6 regular season, and 34-6 final record.

Maybe 34-6 is a bit high, but I do think we can get 30 wins this year.

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
May 3, 2012
I think we win 30 games or more and are a 4, 5, 6 or 7 seed. It depends on how things turn out for our opponents as far as their records and consequently our NET ranking.

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
May 3, 2012
I don't know what our record will be....I don't know which games we will lose.....

However..... My prediction is that sparring some unforeseen circumstances (serious injury, suspensions or anything of that nature).... VCU will be a lock for the NCAA Tournament..... the only thing people will be wondering going into the selection show is the 3 W's..... 1. What Seed are we? 2. Who are we playing? 3. Where are we playing?

Also.... while this is not a prediction, but more so a Spoiler..... 1 Month from Tomorrow, Wednesday November 13th 2019, at 6 PM in the STU..... It will be one of the loudest atmospheres in the STU ever assembled.... but unlike the Texas game, where there were a lot of cheers for former VCU HC Shaka Smart returning to the STU for the first time..... WW & LSU will not be welcomed back with cheers.... but more so deafening boos that will continue for the entire length of the game until WW walks off the court.

I honestly think this game will might ultimately be the loudest game in STU history when all is said and done.
As far as the LSU game, I agree. He will be roundly booed, VCU class or not. There are at least two different things being planned that are to ridicule WW.
We have been through his story before. WW had to leave because he created an environment where he was at war with Johnny and Justin. With them advancing to seniors and being the core of the team, he couldn't effectively coach them. But he left in a bad manner and folks weren't happy with it. I will boo... speaking of class, WW doesn't have any.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I fully expect us to plow the rest of it. Our D is going to be too much too soon for early season opponents.

This
This
This

P5 or not, most teams have that gelling process early on...regardless of how many Stars their guys have. LSU is game #3 and the Purdue/Other matchup is games #7 and #8...This Rams team is already gonna be on their 3rd or 4th gear at that point based on the near total lack of turnover and existing cohesiveness/comfort level.

It's gonna be fun to watch unfold!!!

Reactions: cabell and Ramikin

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
The more I think about this season, the higher my expectations get.

Continuity is a great point. VCU basketball has lacked that over the past several+ years. Everything from the obvious coaching changes to the impact of not having a recruiting class stick together, semi last minute transfers and so on. For once, im not sure any team will match the defense, depth. and cohesion this team will bring early on as was mentioned.

Three point shooting should improve noticeably as a whole (relative to where other teams will be with the 3 point line change). I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think IV for instance shot 40% his freshman year (against lower competition), Evans and Jenkins did not seem to hit their potential from a 3 point % standpoint either last year. Its highly likely all 3 of those guys will do better in that area.

Evans! From all accounts and watching him in the Black and Gold game looks much stronger and healthier (for good reason) coming into this season. He did a few dunks before the game I really don't think he could have physically done in the middle of last season without the rehab time - just my opinion and observation.

How many teams have 2 (quality) senior guards who have started in the past coming off the bench? Plus Curry and a 4* backup PG.

Another thing - MSS could very well produce the best play we have seen in a long time at the center position. Almost a 10/10 guy as a Sophomore coming back looking better than ever. This team has a rock down low. Corey plays smart and has the tools to neutralize a lot of opposing bigs as well.

I'll also mention Mr. Williams. This dude could be really special and just might have the most talent on the team - pretty sure he was the age of a highschool senior last year. Imagine what the team looks like if he takes a big jump this year and teams have to account for the young gun (when you got a killer (Evans), a beast (MSS), a sniper (DJ), and a slasher (IV) on the floor already - Happy Halloween!) putting up 12 a game, grabbing 6 boards and drawing fouls on other teams bigs.

More Kool-Aid please.

Last edited:

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
You guys are ridiculous, Everyone know we wont go through the regular season and big dance undefeated. But it is possible.

Dec 2, 2012
The more I think about this season, the higher my expectations get.

Continuity is a great point. VCU basketball has lacked that over the past several+ years. Everything from the obvious coaching changes to the impact of not having a recruiting class stick together, semi last minute transfers and so on. For once, im not sure any team will match the defense, depth. and cohesion this team will bring early on as was mentioned.

Three point shooting should improve noticeably as a whole (relative to where other teams will be with the 3 point line change). I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think IV for instance shot 40% his freshman year (against lower competition), Evans and Jenkins did not seem to hit their potential from a 3 point % standpoint either last year. Its highly likely all 3 of those guys will do better in that area.

Evans! From all accounts and watching him in the Black and Gold game looks much stronger and healthier (for good reason) coming into this season. He did a few dunks before the game I really don't think he could have physically done in the middle of last season without the rehab time - just my opinion and observation.

How many teams have 2 (quality) senior guards who have started in the past coming off the bench? Plus Curry and a 4* backup PG.

Another thing - MSS could very well produce the best center play we have seen in a long time at the center position. Almost a 10/10 guy as a Sophomore coming back looking better than ever. This team has a rock down low. Corey plays smart and has the tools to neutralize a lot of opposing bigs as well.

I'll also mention Mr. Williams. This dude could be really special and just might have the most talent on the team - pretty sure he was the age of a highschool senior last year. Imagine what the team looks like if he takes a big jump this year and teams have to account for the young gun (when you got a killer (Evans), a beast (MSS), a sniper (DJ), and a slasher (IV) on the floor already - Happy Halloween!) putting up 12 a game, grabbing 6 boards and drawing fouls on other teams bigs.

More Kool-Aid please.

Reactions: RAM_IT
Mar 5, 2014
Ok, 12-2 outside of conference, 16-2 in conference, Win A-10 Tournament, 31-4 going into NCAA as a 4 seed. Sweet Sixteen lose in overtime.
Hey Kool-Aid!!!

Love2Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 25, 2011
I'm certain that we will have a great season but the A-10 will be dramatically improved on the whole. We're in for a dogfight at the top of the conference. Starting the season ranked makes the odds good on dancing but it's far less certain about winning the regular season outright. Too many folks sleeping on Dayton and they're bringing a lot of talent off the bench who had to set one as transfers last year. Say what you want about Grant but he's in his third year, took over a rebuild after everyone left and he's improved (9th, 3rd place A10 finishes) both years since he arrived. Dayton will be notably better this year and Davidson is very talented if we are being objective about things.

Now let's go run the table!