Season ticket holders - what happens if no attendance?

MattRock

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2009
Does anyone happen to know what happens to season tickets if VCU has limited or no attendance this season? Are they refunded, or do they carry over to next season?

(Pardon me if this has already been discussed, but couldn't find anything specific to this)

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I’ll see if I can find it again but there were a couple of options including refunds

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
This email was sent at the end of May, but I want to say I have seen something relating to this subject that was put out more recently than that (although I can't find it at the moment)

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 8.41.38 AM.png

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
And to go along with @DisplacedRam this was the opt out info....

2020-21 Men’s Basketball Opt-Out Policy

VCU Athletics will offer donors the ability to opt out of their season tickets for the 2020-21 while still maintaining the ability to retain their seat selection for the 2021-22 season. In order to do so, please follow this process:

1. Participate in the 2020-21 reseating and/or renew your Capital Campaign, Club or Floor seats
  2. Select and pay for your 2020-21 season tickets to reserve them (payment plan or full payment)
  3. Opt out by emailing [email protected] or [email protected]
  4. Information regarding ticket refunds will come from VCU Athletics following your renewal.
  5. You will maintain your seats for the 2021-22 season if you maintain the appropriate giving level

Reactions: VCUendo

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I would be ok with them carrying over the payments for next season's tickets, but I am worried that when next season comes around they will try to screw us on that somehow.
Doesn't seem like thats an option though... prob because if there's fewer total games (or marquee games) fans would want lower prices... where as if there are more home games or bigger home games... VCU will wanna charge more.

and if it were an option I would want something in writing for this very reason.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Doesn't seem like thats an option though... prob because if there's fewer total games (or marquee games) fans would want lower prices... where as if there are more home games or bigger home games... VCU will wanna charge more.

and if it were an option I would want something in writing for this very reason.
They are already charging more than they ever have before and expecting to have fewer games.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
They are already charging more than they ever have before and expecting to have fewer games.
They are charging the same as last year - $499. Regarding games, you are correct. VCU had 18 home games last year, plus an exhibition game. This year, the absolute maximum number of home games is 14, if they play all other non-conference games at the Stu except for the Orlando games (possibly 3 games) and the game at LSU. Out of those 14 remaining games, 9 are conference games. That leaves 5 other games to schedule, and VCU is scheduled to play at fodu this year.

My guess is VCU's home game schedule will be 12-13. That's at least 5 home games fewer than last year (plus an exhibition game) and VCU wants to charge the same as last year for season tickets? I'm sorry VCU athletics is having financial challenges, but so is the general U.S. population due to a world-wide pandemic.

My fear is VCU is making short-term decisions that are going to impact the program in a negative way long-term. There seems to be no understanding/compassion regarding the fact that the fan base may also be facing financial challenges due to the pandemic. And that is truly sad. :(

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

NC State is doing it for football. VCU is already charging the same this year as they did last year with at least 5 fewer home games. Why not lock season ticket holders in for next year now and use the funds to cover expenses. Also, look at the good will VCU would receive by telling those season ticket holders that the season ticket price will be locked in at the current season ticket price if they carry over their payment to pay for next year's tickets. Trust me, if VCU didn't lower ticket prices this year, they are not going to do it next year. And, how much do you think it is going to cost VCU to do a ton of manual refunds vs. carrying over the money to next season's ticket purchase? This process has not been well thought out by the athletic department, and they are going to get hit with a ton of refund requests.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
NC State is doing it for football. VCU is already charging the same this year as they did last year with at least 5 fewer home games. Why not lock season ticket holders in for next year now and use the funds to cover expenses. Also, look at the good will VCU would receive by telling those season ticket holders that the season ticket price will be locked in at the current season ticket price if they carry over their payment to pay for next year's tickets. Trust me, if VCU didn't lower ticket prices this year, they are not going to do it next year. And, how much do you think it is going to cost VCU to do a ton of manual refunds vs. carrying over the money to next season's ticket purchase? This process has not been well thought out by the athletic department, and they are going to get hit with a ton of refund requests.
I completely agree. They need to give us that option

Mar 1, 2015
I understand that if you want to opt out, you must notify them by 12/31/20. Won't some games have been played before then? If so, do they simply refund the games after your request and still hold your seats selection for next year?

UPDATE - Season ticket holders may anticipate an email update soon (this week perhaps). I was told that the deadline by which to request a refund could be around October 31st so we'll have to make a decision before the first home game which I think is November 25th. The new information is entirely dependent upon the Governor's order with respect to capacity in the Stu. If it is limited, say to 1,000, the chances of the lower level donors getting seats is slim and will largely be based upon what higher-level donors choose to do in terms of keeping their seats or opting out. It will trickle down from there. In that event, our seats will be guaranteed for next season and we might as well request a refund as what we've paid toward this season's tickets can be put forward toward our next season donation but NOT toward next year's ticket price since it will be in a different fiscal year. I'm already on the payment plan for my donation so I might as well request a refund. I'm just going to ride it out knowing that in all likelihood I won't have seats this season.

Last edited:

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
They are charging the same as last year - $499. Regarding games, you are correct. VCU had 18 home games last year, plus an exhibition game. This year, the absolute maximum number of home games is 14, if they play all other non-conference games at the Stu except for the Orlando games (possibly 3 games) and the game at LSU. Out of those 14 remaining games, 9 are conference games. That leaves 5 other games to schedule, and VCU is scheduled to play at fodu this year.

My guess is VCU's home game schedule will be 12-13. That's at least 5 home games fewer than last year (plus an exhibition game) and VCU wants to charge the same as last year for season tickets? I'm sorry VCU athletics is having financial challenges, but so is the general U.S. population due to a world-wide pandemic.

My fear is VCU is making short-term decisions that are going to impact the program in a negative way long-term. There seems to be no understanding/compassion regarding the fact that the fan base may also be facing financial challenges due to the pandemic. And that is truly sad. :(
My mistake, I was thinking it was around $480 last year. That must have been a couple of years ago.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Not to be negative, but listening to the news I'm betting we won't have any in-person games this season. The spike in cases is expected to be big...hopefully they're being overly cautious.

MattRock

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2009
Not to be negative, but listening to the news I'm betting we won't have any in-person games this season. The spike in cases is expected to be big...hopefully they're being overly cautious.
Agreed, if you look at the NBA as a case study, which Rhoades has eluded to many times this off-season, don't see any reason why the program or the university would allow fans. It's just too much risk, and honestly, irresponsible.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Agreed, if you look at the NBA as a case study, which Rhoades has eluded to many times this off-season, don't see any reason why the program or the university would allow fans. It's just too much risk, and honestly, irresponsible.
Agreed.... and knowing that.... I think Athletics should do EVERYONE a favor and give us the option use our season ticket purchases from this year & put it to next year.

Lets be cautious... not worry about fans in the STU this year (as much as we all hate it)... maybe if we're lucky come A10 Tourney time they'll let some fans in the Arena (wherever the A10 Tourney is this year)... assuming things have settled down come March. And then put our season ticket purchases from this year to next year.

This will limit how much $$$$ Athletics is having to dish back out.... plus it will be a much better look for Athletics.... considering a lot of people already do not like how the whole Reseating thing was handled this year... this could be a way to get back on the good side of some fans.

Some were talking bout how season ticket sales were down this year... well imagine, how much further they could drop after the reseating confusion people seemed to have this year & if they decide not to give us the option to push our season ticket purchase from 20-21... to 21-22.

Also... while they've given us til December 31st/January 1st to opt out & get a refund of our season ticket purchase for this year.... at what point are they going to tell us what the plans are for the season in terms of attendance?

At the very least there should be a firm deadline of when they are going to make a decision so fans can plan accordingly.