Season Ticket Refunds For Penn St and NH Games

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
VCU is finally offering season ticket holders refunds for the Penn State and New Hampshire games after months of "checking with their business office" to figure out how to do so. They are not necessarily making it easy though. They just sent an e-mail with the below instructions. Of course they sent it on Friday evening and the ticket office will not be open until Monday morning. Doesn't seem like it can be done online the way they did it for individual ticket purchases back in January. Good luck!

If you would like to receive a refund for these two games, please contact the VCU Athletic Ticket Office by calling (804) 828-7267 to submit your request. All refund requests must be submitted by May 20, 2022.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Also said if we choose not to get a refund… we get priority points towards our Ram Ranking…. But also did not specify how many per ticket.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Local business offers make goods to customers who missed out on a sale, protects rights with fine print: film at eleven!

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Also said if we choose not to get a refund… we get priority points towards our Ram Ranking…. But also did not specify how many per ticket.
Yeah, without any specifics I don't know that I would trust that. Normally I believe you get 1 point per $100 so it probably wouldn't be much if they do add any.

HBK

Elite Member
Ed said that they lost around 170 grand with the loss of those two games. I have to call to get my money back. I think I will let them keep my money and move on.
I've got 8 tickets, and I'm going to eat it and let the Athletics Department keep the money.

I'm glad Ed put into the email how much in ticket revenue they will lose. So, now we know the figure is roughly $85,000 per game, and that doesn't include concessions. Earlier this past season when discussing scheduling, some posters wondered why we schedule so many home games, and they also suggested we play more road/neutral court games against P5 schools.

This is what makes scheduling so difficult, and why everyone should spend 15 minutes speaking with Jimmy Martelli. It is fascinating to hear how they have to balance the goals of the team (good games that help to boost their ranking) with the needs of the athletic department (more revenue). It's why buy games are important for us, being able to get good mid-majors to the Stu is a good way to accomplish that balance. I'm all for playing road and neutral court games against P5 schools, but the reality is that we need home games to help fund the entire department budget.

Last edited:

Ramaste

Elite Member
About 45 minutes before receiving the refund email from VCU, the VCU Athletics charged my credit card $55.44, for no reason. The amount seemed to be the price of 2 season tickets for one game. I called the ticket office, but they had left for the weekend. Did anyone else have this happen?

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I've got 8 tickets, and I'm going to eat it and let the Athletics Department keep the money.
I suggest taking the refund and donating the money back if you want the dept to keep it. That way you will be more certain to get priority points. The ticket office and AD are already sloppy with simple duties and transactions. Throw in the end of fiscal year and RAF donations, i think there is a high margin of error that this transaction just stays on the books as a ticket sale and not a donation.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
The refund is about $27 per ticket. I'm taking the refund. After the way the athletic department has treated CCM's, changed the donor level of giving to cover replacing the annual $250 seat fee and also handled the re-seating debacle, I'm going to treat this as a transaction just like they treat donors. At this point, it's the principle of the matter. You just can't haphazardly implement underhanded policies/procedures and then beg your donor base to bail you out at a later date. It basically took them 60+ days to come up with this refund policy????????

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Ed said that they lost around 170 grand with the loss of those two games. I have to call to get my money back. I think I will let them keep my money and move on.

I believe the $85,000 per game number was just from season ticket holders. It just makes me wonder even more why they seem so committed to screwing those people over.

The refund is about $27 per ticket. I'm taking the refund. After the way the athletic department has treated CCM's, changed the donor level of giving to cover replacing the annual $250 seat fee and also handled the re-seating debacle, I'm going to treat this as a transaction just like they treat donors. At this point, it's the principle of the matter. You just can't haphazardly implement underhanded policies/procedures and then beg your donor base to bail you out at a later date. It basically took them 60+ days to come up with this refund policy????????
Why not apply it to next year's RAF donation instead of this year? I'll be calling on Monday morning.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Why not apply it to next year's RAF donation instead of this year? I'll be calling on Monday morning.

I will pay the $1,750 separately. FYI, my letter stated I owed $2,000 minimum in RAF. I call the athletic department and they then backtracked saying my minimum contribution was $1,750 since I was a CCM. I have no idea where they got $2,000 minimum from when the chart they sent out shows $1,750. They stated the problem is the "system" doesn't identify CCM's. Still............ where did you get a minimum of $2,000 when the chart says $1,750.

There's cashiers at Walmart that handle money better than this athletic department. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I have another beef with Ed and the athletic department. Ed is crying the blues regarding lost revenue from two games. Here's a question for anyone to answer. Why hasn't this athletic administration sold the naming rights to the arena since EJ Wade dropped out? How many years has that been now? Also, why not sell the naming rights to the BDC? Most other schools would.

If this athletic administration is a good as many posters on the boards claim they are, then why are these two large revenue generating opportunities not happening vs. begging season ticket holders to not ask for a refund for two cancelled games. Who's thinking big picture here??????????? Both naming rights should be a priority for the athletic department. Heck, even fmason sold the naming rights to their arena to Eagle Bank.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I have another beef with Ed and the athletic department. Ed is crying the blues regarding lost revenue from two games. Here's a question for anyone to answer. Why hasn't this athletic administration sold the naming rights to the arena since EJ Wade dropped out? How many years has that been now? Also, why not sell the naming rights to the BDC? Most other schools would.

If this athletic administration is a good as many posters on the boards claim they are, then why are these two large revenue generating opportunities not happening vs. begging season ticket holders to not ask for a refund for two cancelled games. Who's thinking big picture here??????????? Both naming rights should be a priority for the athletic department. Heck, even fmason sold the naming rights to their arena to Eagle Bank.
I wonder if Mr. Siegel himself has anything to do with it. Remember even when we had Verizon Wireless as a Sponsor... we always called it Stuart C Siegel Center at Verizon Wireless Arena.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
That is my philosophy from now on. I'm a transactional buyer now. I'll spend what I want for the tickets I want and nothing more. They should have sent these refunds back in December like they did for people that purchased individual game tickets or early March at the latest. They sent those buyers refunds so why did it take 2 months for them to "check with their business office" to see how they could send refunds to season ticket buyers? The individual game purchasers were able to fill out a form online to exchange for tickets to another game or request a refund. Why do season ticket holders have to call and beg for their money to be refunded? Why send out the information on Friday evening when people can't call until Monday morning? They're just trying to make it as hard as possible so people figure it's not worth the hassle and then let them keep the money. I don't appreciate that and I will let them know the next time they call me asking for money.