Season Ticket Refunds For Penn St and NH Games

VAHills

Elite Member
Yes....the debit was refunded Sunday... and I got a call from the box office stating that a handful of ticket holders were charged as the office was putting together the email list for the refund email.
In the same boat, I called yesterday and they said I should see that reverse out in a few days (haven't seen it yet though). What a cluster!

SpiderRAM

Elite Member
Insider
I wonder if they tried the $55.44 on my card. The card on file has been compromised and cancelled, so if they tried, they didn’t get anywhere with it.

When I called yesterday I asked about the priority points offered for not taking the refund. The person I spoke with did not know how many points and the supervisor was in a meeting.

We’ve been sitting “below our giving level” for 6 years. I was also told I could keep my donation level and possibly get better seats or lower my donation level (significantly) and keep my current seats.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
No, you are right. The Athletic Department should have resolved this as soon as they knew there would not be replacement games.
At the very least.... I hope this whole situation will awake Ed & the Ath Dept. as to what to do the next time a game gets cancelled, whether it be Covid, inclement weather or any other situation.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Yes....the debit was refunded Sunday... and I got a call from the box office stating that a handful of ticket holders were charged as the office was putting together the email list for the refund email.

Yet another prime example of how incompetent this athletic administration is. Exactly how do you randomly charge ticket holders while putting together an e-mail???????????? Seriously?????????????

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
At the very least.... I hope this whole situation will awake Ed & the Ath Dept. as to what to do the next time a game gets cancelled, whether it be Covid, inclement weather or any other situation.

Wake him up? There should already be contingency procedures in place in the event something like this happens. That's Business 101. Do they not have any policies/procedures in place as part of an overall contingency plan? Is anything of that nature even important to this administrative staff. There are lots of red flags regarding day to day operations in the athletic department. You have the ADA issue during basketball season. You have the way the ticket refund has been handled. You have the entire re-seating debacle. You have the general non-responsiveness of the athletic department when it comes to customer inquiries. At what point does the President's office get involved? It's clear the current daily leadership of the athletic department staff is poor at best. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Wake him up? There should already be contingency procedures in place in the event something like this happens. That's Business 101. Do they not have any policies/procedures in place as part of an overall contingency plan? Is anything of that nature even important to this administrative staff. There are lots of red flags regarding day to day operations in the athletic department. You have the ADA issue during basketball season. You have the way the ticket refund has been handled. You have the entire re-seating debacle. You have the general non-responsiveness of the athletic department when it comes to customer inquiries. At what point does the President's office get involved? It's clear the current daily leadership of the athletic department staff is poor at best. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
Yes, there should be a process for this. I put much of the blame on the VCU IT for not ensuring important functions are included or working properly.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I whole-heartedly agree... but clearly there wasn't. Hence my statement.

Is there a reason why VCU is out that money since the report was that it was Penn state with the Covid issues?
Ed is using it to hide the fact that there are many other reasons that the athletic department lost revenue. It is deflecting from the fact that a little more than 1/3 of season tickets remain unsold. That's a lot more than refunding 3,600 ST holders for 2 games. 5 years of decreasing sales of STs is a major issue that Ed is ignoring and making it worse, by raising the cost for smaller donors.

I wonder if they tried the $55.44 on my card. The card on file has been compromised and cancelled, so if they tried, they didn’t get anywhere with it.

When I called yesterday I asked about the priority points offered for not taking the refund. The person I spoke with did not know how many points and the supervisor was in a meeting.

We’ve been sitting “below our giving level” for 6 years. I was also told I could keep my donation level and possibly get better seats or lower my donation level (significantly) and keep my current seats.
That's SNAFU with VCU, I called the number given with the Tax statement VCU sent out, asking what the 2 values meant. The person had no idea and said I need to contact the Athletic department but did not know who. Did a VCU person tell you that about donation amt and ST seat selection? It's definitely true as 1/3 of the STs were unsold last year. I expect that many will lower their donation level and still get good or better seats.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Ed is using it to hide the fact that there are many other reasons that the athletic department lost revenue. It is deflecting from the fact that a little more than 1/3 of season tickets remain unsold. That's a lot more than refunding 3,600 ST holders for 2 games. 5 years of decreasing sales of STs is a major issue that Ed is ignoring and making it worse, by raising the cost for smaller donors.
Actually the number could fairly accurate.

The amount in the email was $169,333.95. A lot of you all have mentioned... $55.44 (brakes down to 27.72 a ticket) being charged to your card & then credited back...

So using those 2 numbers.... $169,333.95 divided by $5544.... that means there's about 3054.36 (so we'll round up to 3055) season ticket holders that are out money on those 2 games unless they ask for a refund.

And does anyone have the exact number of season ticket holders from last year? I just wanna see how close the numbers are.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

The amount in the email was $169,333.95. A lot of you all have mentioned... $55.44 (brakes down to 27.72 a ticket) being charged to your card & then credited back...

So using those 2 numbers.... $169,333.95 divided by $5544.... that means there's about 3054.36 (so we'll round up to 3055) season ticket holders that are out money on those 2 games unless they ask for a refund.

And does anyone have the exact number of season ticket holders from last year? I just wanna see how close the numbers are.
According to the FOIA thread there were 3,273 season ticket holders last season.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
According to the FOIA thread there were 3,273 season ticket holders last season.
I see us dipping below 3000 season tickets this coming year. I really hope Ed can figure a way to better balance fan's concerns and read the temperature of the room of donors or I fear in a few years we will be down to about 2000 season tickets (which would be less than 1000 donors). A start would be clear, honest communication/ information flow b/w the fan base and the AD.
A dip after the FF run was to be expected. A return to where we were prior to the FF in terms of donors and ST should be avoidable.

Note the steady decrease, so what are many reasons why and what can be done to sell more need to be a priority, which does not seem to be the case with Ed / VCU.

From FOIA request.

* The number of Season tickets that are available for the Last 5 years and the actual number sold at each donor level.

VCU Response: The maximum number of season tickets available for sale each year is 5,000. VCU does not maintain an existing record containing the number of season tickets sold at each donor level for the last five years and pursuant to Va. Code 5 2.23704(D), public bodies are not required to create a new record if the record does not already exist. However, readily accessible data that is partially responsive to your request and includes the total number of season tickets sold and unsold (i.e., available) at all donor levels for each of the last five years is provided below.

2021-22: 3,273 sold; 1,727 available

2020-21: 190 sold; 0 available due to COVID-19 global pandemic capacity restrictions

2019-18: 4,376 sold; 624 available

2018-19: 4,659 sold; 341 available

2017-18: 4,897 sold; 103 available

Last edited: