Season tickets

$1.8 million of that is from basketball.
They did not supply any information that the RAF donations were made to support other sports. I highly doubt they know that information. Where did you get that amount?

VCU is no where close to covering athletic costs from its own revenues much less the revenues generated from mens basketball

VCU requires over $22 million of subsidy from student fees to balance the athletic budget - men's basketball basically pays for men's basketball if you fairly allocate the capital costs of our facilities that mens basketball uses that were only partially paid for by fund raising

using 2020 Auditor of Public Accounts reports student fees / total athletic revenues percentage (subsidy%)
JMU requires $45.7 million of student fees to balance athletic budget 79%
Odu requires $32.6 million of student fees to balance athletic budget 67%
GMU requires $19.0 million of student fees to balance athletic budget 62%
Radford requires $9.7 million of student fees to balance athletic budget 80%
VCU 63%
Va Tech 11%
uVA 13%
I'm confused by this. Where did you find this information? VCU had 21,707 students in 2021-2022. Checking VCU website the highest student fee I saw was $90. That's only $1,953,630, I expect some of that goes to other student activities, beside sports. Site for student fee. https://sfs.vcu.edu/media/semss/sfs/COMPVCUTuitionandFees2022-2023REMEDIATED.pdf

VCU Heel

Elite Member
They did not supply any information that the RAF donations were made to support other sports. I highly doubt they know that information. Where did you get that amount?
I got it from common sense. Most people make their RAF donation to get basketball season tickets. And that’s supported by the fact that most people that have dropped their season tickets have also dropped their RAF donations. There are a few people out there that donate for golf or soccer or women’s basketball, but they are the outliers.

I got it from common sense. Most people make their RAF donation to get basketball season tickets. And that’s supported by the fact that most people that have dropped their season tickets have also dropped their RAF donations. There are a few people out there that donate for golf or soccer or women’s basketball, but they are the outliers.
Ok, I assume all RAF donations are for BB only. Of the $401,000 lost in 2021-2022 from 2020-2021 donations, $258,500 was from CCA donors. $178,500 lost was from CCM Director society ($2,500 minimum donation) and above. It was a 64% lost from 25 CCA donors. The VCU RAF and Ticketing systems cannot provide this directly. It did not seem that they were interest in doing it. The spreadsheets I created shows that it is possible with the information they provided me. Perhaps I should send them a bill - LOL. I did this because I love VCU, and it was clear to me based on attendance there were serious problems with RAF & CCA donations. The information I got shows that.

I'm confused by this. Where did you find this information? VCU had 21,707 students in 2021-2022. Checking VCU website the highest student fee I saw was $90. That's only $1,953,630, I expect some of that goes to other student activities, beside sports. Site for student fee. https://sfs.vcu.edu/media/semss/sfs/COMPVCUTuitionandFees2022-2023REMEDIATED.pdf
yes it can be confusing

VCU charges every student full and part-time what is called a University Fee - full time students pay a flat fee and part-time students pay an amount that is Pro rated (I believe based upon credit hours attempted) - (you are also right that VCU charges what they refer to as student fees too which often are simply fees that the student leadership voted to assess as contrasted with University fees that the University sets and the students have no say in how it is set or used)

currently fiscal year 2022-23 the approved university fee for a full time student per the budget is $2,356 per semester. This is projected to raise nearly $60,000,000 for the full 22-23 fiscalyear

As part of the budget process annually, the university recommends to the board of visitors how this will be spent and the BOV will approve the budget normally in the spring prior to the start of the academic year - University fees at VCU support a wide range of activities like the Student Commons building and many programs there , Student recreational facilities and so on

As far as the amounts that go to VCU Athletics to subsidize their budget I get the amounts I used in my post from the State Auditors website of financial reports they issue annually. I will try and post a link to the VCU report on their website that you can peruse - the State Auditor refers to the University fee supports as Student Fees (look at Page 8)

Hopefully this helps your understanding

yes it can be confusing

VCU charges every student full and part-time what is called a University Fee - full time students pay a flat fee and part-time students pay an amount that is Pro rated (I believe based upon credit hours attempted) - (you are also right that VCU charges what they refer to as student fees too which often are simply fees that the student leadership voted to assess as contrasted with University fees that the University sets and the students have no say in how it is set or used)

currently fiscal year 2022-23 the approved university fee for a full time student per the budget is $2,356 per semester. This is projected to raise nearly $60,000,000 for the full 22-23 fiscalyear

As part of the budget process annually, the university recommends to the board of visitors how this will be spent and the BOV will approve the budget normally in the spring prior to the start of the academic year - University fees at VCU support a wide range of activities like the Student Commons building and many programs there , Student recreational facilities and so on

As far as the amounts that go to VCU Athletics to subsidize their budget I get the amounts I used in my post from the State Auditors website of financial reports they issue annually. I will try and post a link to the VCU report on their website that you can peruse - the State Auditor refers to the University fee supports as Student Fees (look at Page 8)

Hopefully this helps your understanding

Thanks for the clarification in university fee. I don't see that the audit report shows where it goes.

Thanks for the clarification in university fee. I don't see that the audit report shows where it goes.
the audit report shows $22 million in student fees in a column called non program specific - for statement presentation it is not allocated as revenue among the various sports (most colleges report this revenue source (student fees) in a general category and do not allocate the revenue to various sports)
in the expenditure sections in VCU report you can see bottom line deficits for all the sports except men's basketball - the student fees pay for all those deficits as well as the the in excess of $10 million dollars of non program specific expenses in athletics for admin and overhead costs and capital costs

no other college or university in Va allocates their student fees used in athletics to a specific sport in the revenue section of their statements so VCU is consistent in its practice with other state college and universities in the Commonwealth

(I have been around these reports for 25+ years, before retirement so I understand them and how they are put together)

bottom line in VCU athletics they operate at a roughly $22-25 million annual deficit that is funded by allocating a portion of the university fees all students pay
of the individual sports, men's basketball (if fully costed) would be the only sport that makes money annually and that probably started in the Anthony Grant/ Shaka Smart years because of gift giving and NCAA tourney money and ticket sales

all the other sports lose big money (VCU is NOT an outlier here because most all colleges and university sports programs other than mens football if you are a P5 and basketball lose money) there are some exceptions that mostly occur in P5 conference sports that have successful programs and strong gift giving fanbases for sports like baseball and Oklahoma softball and maybe wrestling or volleyball or tennis- t

VCU is one of the financially stronger programs in the A10 (sort of an oxymoron to say that given we require $22 million + subsidy but what I mean is we generate strong ticket sales, gift giving and NCAA money) as well as one of the most successful across so many sports besides men's basketball

go rams

Last edited:
Not exactly "Season tickets" but has anyone else gotten the "Super Rams Fun pass" email?

As some one who has actually been to multiple games for all these sports I don't see how it would be possible to spend 100 bucks a year on these.

"Hey Ram Nation, let us re-introduce you to the Super Rams Fan Pass. This one-stop-pass gives you access to five of your favorite VCU teams, and so much more.

For $100, Super Rams Fan pass holders become season long supporters of...

⚽ Men's Soccer

⚽ Women's Soccer

🏐 Volleyball

🏀 Women's Basketball

⚾ Baseball

"

That's a savings of 27 percent, and each fan will receive a VCU seat cushion with their purchase of a Super Rams Fan pass!

Additionally, Super Rams Fan pass holders will have access to exclusive Men's Basketball offers throughout the 2022-23 season.

Become a Super Ram Fan today, click the button below!

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Question for current season ticket holders/donors.

How many home games would you be willing to give up and maintain your current giving levels if those games were replaced with neutral and P6 road games with no return home date?

As I look at the landscape, I believe several posters are correct regarding the difficulty of getting P6 schools to the Stu. Now the coaching staff is responsible for building a schedule that positions us for a bid in March and they have done a wonderful job with that aspect. Marketing wise, fans would like to see more household names in the Stu. Reviewing non P6 schools it seems our most probable path to doing that is by being a regular preseason top 25 team. Using everyone’s favorite, Gonzaga, since the 99-00 season they have only not been a preseason top 25 team. There home schedule reflects as such with P6 teams at home virtually every year. So again, understanding with conferences going to 20 game schedules and super conferences, how many home games can VCU drop and still count on you for your support?

How many home games would you be willing to give up and maintain your current giving levels if those games were replaced with neutral and P6 road games with no return home date?

As I look at the landscape, I believe several posters are correct regarding the difficulty of getting P6 schools to the Stu. Now the coaching staff is responsible for building a schedule that positions us for a bid in March and they have done a wonderful job with that aspect. Marketing wise, fans would like to see more household names in the Stu. Reviewing non P6 schools it seems our most probable path to doing that is by being a regular preseason top 25 team. Using everyone’s favorite, Gonzaga, since the 99-00 season they have only not been a preseason top 25 team. There home schedule reflects as such with P6 teams at home virtually every year. So again, understanding with conferences going to 20 game schedules and super conferences, how many home games can VCU drop and still count on you for your support?
1 easily, probably 2. Could be talked into 3. The apparent schedule for this season is bleak. Not even any interesting MMs like a Belmont or someone similar. It's time Mike takes some games @ good P5 schools (assuming it's a legitimate option)

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
1 easily, probably 2. Could be talked into 3. The apparent schedule for this season is bleak. Not even any interesting MMs like a Belmont or someone similar. It's time Mike takes some games @ good P5 schools (assuming it's a legitimate option)
3 or 4 if it means we replace them with road games against mid/high level P6 teams. If we do that and it helps us make the tournament, I'd most likely give more (assuming the same financial picture or better, irrespective of inflation).

Uh, @TampaKAP intended to reply to you

2 would be a good number to try out - and if you cannot get a high/mid p6 find a mid major that will be in top 75 NET and play on the road so it becomes a Tier 1 game (and ask them to pay our travel expenses at a minimum for us going there )

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member

So we average what? 13 OOC games?.... 2 or 3 depending on the tournament reserved for early season tourneys.... so we'll say 3.... which leaves 10 games left.

We're likely always gonna get 1 or 2 home games as part of those early season tourneys... so we'll say 2 home games for that (prob 2 of the first games of the year).

That leaves 8 games in OOC play.... If it means having better quality opponents I'd be willing to give up 3 or 4 of those home games.

Especially if we can land games against teams that are with in reasonable driving distance (especially if the games are on weeknights... if they are weekends, the distances dont matter too much).... Tech, UVA, Maryland, UNC, Duke, NC State, Temple, Villanova, West VA.... etc.

And of course I'd also take games against other P5/6 opponents as well as Gonzaga if we got matches with them.

That being said.... We would still have to win those matches.... but what would you rather see?

Would you rather see us beat down Jacksonville state at home or win a close game against West Virginia on the road?

Would you rather see us lose a close game to Villanova on the road or would you rather see us lose at home to schools like Wagner & Chattanooga?

So I'd be willing to drop 3-4 home games if it means better opponents and occasional H&H's with P5/6 teams.... even though they'll be hard to come by.

But the problem with dropping that many games.... is they'll also have to drop season ticket prices a decent amount as well which means less money coming into the Ath. Dept.

Last edited:

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
But the problem with dropping that many games.... is they'll also have to drop season ticket prices a decent amount as well which means less money coming into the Ath. Dept.
That’s probably true but the question was how many are you willing to give up and pay the same as you are now. I don’t know enough of the economics but what is the value of a home game. I assume its more than payout for playing a road game. So it would stand to reason that if fans want road P6 games, they have to be willing to help in the revenue dept. Just a guess

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
That’s probably true but the question was how many are you willing to give up and pay the same as you are now. I don’t know enough of the economics but what is the value of a home game. I assume its more than payout for playing a road game. So it would stand to reason that if fans want road P6 games, they have to be willing to help in the revenue dept. Just a guess
I saw giving levels... I didn't see season ticket prices.

Giving levels to me = RAF donation.... and for that I always give what I can afford.

So in terms of RAF Donations... my response remains the same as my post.... if we're talking season tickets prices, the only way I'd pay the same amount for less games is if the quality of OOC games that we do get at the STU went up. 1 less game is fine cause you can chalk it up as a road game part of a H&H usually... but anything more than that.... no not happening.

I mean we're getting rid of odu (a rivalry game... although it's lost its luster since they started football back up) for games like Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Morgan State, Northern Illinois & Navy this year? I know some of those are part of that early season tourney.... but come on... I'd rather continue playing odu in H&H's every year than play these teams.