Second Half Margins (because we're all curious)

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Just cause I need to know, here are our second half scoring margins this season:

v Utah State +19
v WVU -3
v Memphis +7
v Penn State (even)
v Mount St. Mary's +1
v NC A&T +15
v ODU +5
v West Carolina +12
v JMU -14
v St. Joe's +8
v Mason +6
v Rhody -15
v GW +1
v Bona -31

Just overall haven't looked good in conference, but also I just can't get over that half I just watched. I just don't know how it's even possible to get beat that badly in a half by that St. Bonaventure team. Get beat that bad by Gonzaga or Baylor? Sure. But not by basically any team in the Atlantic 10. That's a bit (very?) concerning to me. Need to be better.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Just cause I need to know, here are our second half scoring margins this season:

v Utah State +19
v WVU -3
v Memphis +7
v Penn State (even)
v Mount St. Mary's +1
v NC A&T +15
v ODU +5
v West Carolina +12
v JMU -14
v St. Joe's +8
v Mason +6
v Rhody -15
v GW +1
v Bona -31

Just overall haven't looked good in conference, but also I just can't get over that half I just watched. I just don't know how it's even possible to get beat that badly in a half by that St. Bonaventure team. Get beat that bad by Gonzaga or Baylor? Sure. But not by basically any team in the Atlantic 10. That's a bit (very?) concerning to me. Need to be better.
And the two good conference teams we’ve played both crushed us in the 2nd half. YOUTH.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009

v Utah State +19
v WVU -3
v Memphis +7
v Penn State (even)
v Mount St. Mary's +1
v NC A&T +15
v ODU +5
v West Carolina +12
v JMU -14
v St. Joe's +8
v Mason +6
v Rhody -15
v GW +1
v Bona -31

Natty - thanks for this data.

Losing is inevitable and it’ll always happen, but those two red marks next to Rhody and St Bona are concerning.

The last few years of watching basketball I’ve tried to examine how a team (VCU in particular) looks when they LOSE even more than when they win. If we were 3-2 right now with a couple of losses in the final few minutes vs Rhody and St Bona then it would look a LOT different than the massive second half differences we’ve had vs them.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
My largest frustration is that it just seems like we regress as the seasons go on. Maybe I say that thought because the last postseason we had was when Wade was here in 2017. Just a rough night.

I think we've got so much promising talent on this team, but my faith in the staff to figure out how to use the talent they bring in is honestly at a low point after what I just saw. Just watching a half of basketball like that really makes me question their ability to play the game from a strategy standpoint, to adjust the x's & o's when the Jimmies and Joes are having a bad night.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
We only scored 14 points in the second half. That’s inexcusable.
I will say this, I didn’t see it when we played them, and I didn’t see it tonight, but the Bonnie’s Defensive Efficiency in conference games is getting difficult to dispute.

Overall Baylor is #1 at 87.3. Bonnie’s in A-10 games are 87.1. And amazingly, I think they were 85 Point Something before tonight...

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
My largest frustration is that it just seems like we regress as the seasons go on. Maybe I say that thought because the last postseason we had was when Wade was here in 2017. Just a rough night.
Natty - I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt because tonight sucked, but did we not play UCF in the tourney in 2019? Lol.

Reactions: RamStrut

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
The players didnt get younger in the 2nd half.
It wasnt broke at halftime so it didnt get fixed.
As usual, Rhoades got out coached.
When you lose like that, then it is on the players and the coaches. So, I can accept that Schmidt outcoached him, just as Mike had outcoached Schmidt the two previous seasons. That said, I am fairly certain Mike did not coach the players to get stupid fouls and technicals, to be sloppy with the ball and to take bad shots early in the shot clock.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I will say this, I didn’t see it when we played them, and I didn’t see it tonight, but the Bonnie’s Defensive Efficiency in conference games is getting difficult to dispute.

Overall Baylor is #1 at 87.3. Bonnie’s in A-10 games are 87.1. And amazingly, I think they were 85 Point Something before tonight...
Torvik's ratings have swung so much that St. Bonaventure is now projected to win a share of the conference title along with SLU.

May 4, 2012
When you lose like that, then it is on the players and the coaches. So, I can accept that Schmidt outcoached him, just as Mike had outcoached Schmidt the two previous seasons. That said, I am fairly certain Mike did not coach the players to get stupid fouls and technicals, to be sloppy with the ball and to take bad shots early in the shot clock.
He did not prepare them to know what Bona would do to adjust. As a result they got surprized and started doing stupid things.
A switch to zone would have helped. Dialing back the trapping perhaps.
SOMEthing, anything...

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Yeah. It felt like “hero ball” had returned. As far as the technicals, when one of your team leaders is constantly getting them, it’s kinda hard to jump on the other players for doing the same thing.

Jan 15, 2020
People need to stop with the youth stuff. These players came out and played great at the beginning. If anything you’d expect bad starts with youth because they come in nervous. Not unravel at first hint of adversity. That means our mental toughness needs serious work. That goes for Rhoades too. He waits too long to kill the bleeding when teams bite back. Will there be games where we just can’t get it back and lose? Sure. But crumbling with no answers against a team we were manhandling and simply chucking garbage up in desperation is not acceptable. Soon as they made any run we looked like a deer starting at a semi truck coming down a steep hill. You know a team isn’t gonna just roll over.

Reactions: DNB and RamStrut