Semi-OT: A new in-state opponent for VCU?

Jan 16, 2020
I get the sentiment but if we're going to pay it forward with a state team let's at least get jmu or w&m. Would be a lot more interest in either one of those than vsu or longwood (another team that recently made the jump to d1)

Longwood officially upgraded from Division II to Division I prior to 2007-08 season .... VCU is the state's sixth longest standing D-1 member, following UR, W&M, VPI, UVa and VMi (the original "Big Five.") .... that said, Virginia's five HBCU's - at least prior to 1970s - were likely the athletic equal of the established D-1's of the day.

Jan 15, 2020
I'm no fan of the school itself but it's starting to make more sense to put them on our schedule. With the money they pump into athletics they're going to be a contender to win the a sun basically every year and (hopefully) would give us a win against a non-conference tournament bound team. Plus, I always enjoy the creativity of the vcu student section when we play an in state team such as them.

I agree normally on the last part but I don’t think the student sections are as creative anymore. I think it’s combination of not having band, rowdies, and regular students together. Now it’s a toned down band and toned down rowdies. Regular students really can’t get in now due to the amount of seating that was taken away for season tickets. I mean now it’s Let’s Go Rams, Defense, and a random occasional balloon snake crowd surfing around the arena.

Reactions: rvaram
Dec 2, 2012
I agree normally on the last part but I don’t think the student sections are as creative anymore. I think it’s combination of not having band, rowdies, and regular students together. Now it’s a toned down band and toned down rowdies. Regular students really can’t get in now due to the amount of seating that was taken away for season tickets. I mean now it’s Let’s Go Rams, Defense, and a random occasional balloon snake crowd surfing around the arena.
Id say 99% of the issue is that there are , what, maybe 205 of the crowd that are students? And of that a big chunk are organized so you will not see te really biting satire or whatnot.

The last time there was a big snow game, they decided to let the kids in ust before tip off because of so many no shows, and that crowd was lit!

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
It has been years since the students have used their allotment of tickets with the exception of a handful of big games each season. The tickets are available to them they are just not showing up.

Jan 15, 2020
It has been years since the students have used their allotment of tickets with the exception of a handful of big games each season. The tickets are available to them they are just not showing up.

I will give you the students don’t always show up part but a large amount of those sections that were for students are now GA. Even if students are showing up you won’t really know because most are sitting now because of GA people there (The standing sections especially on the West side is much smaller.). They just clap along with the chants created by the standing sections. Realistically you really can’t expect a student to show up every game. Back in the day you had 6th man rewards and such. That’s really the only reason someone came to watch Bethune Cookman. Now the students are very limited by GA and the Rowdies occupying the majority of the tickets students get and there’s no reward program. So it’s understandable why they don’t show up all the time. I use to show up every game for all 4 years but I was on the Rowdy board so there was a expectation plus I was just absolutely hooked on VCU sports back then where I attended everything from VCU soccer to volleyball (Me and the rest of Rowdy board were maxed out on the 6th man rewards like half way through the VCU sports season lol.). Anyway getting back to the student thing you can definitely notice how the student section has significantly shrunk from the seating alignment now. I definitely think the band took the hardest hit though energy wise but that affected the whole arena honestly.

Jan 16, 2020
@bighornn I never heard about 'the original "Big Five." Anymore about the timeline?

Yes .... until mid 70s the newspapers referred to UVa, VPI, WM, VMI, UR as "the big five" specifically in hoops and football. Of course they played in different leagues but they pretty much played each other every year for a "mythical Big Five" championship. NCAA Division has greatly expanded in size over the decades. Before the NCAA divided D-2 from D-3, they were all called "College Division." Division 1 was "University Division."

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
So when was Division 2 and 3 created? Does anybody have anything about the history or college basketball history?

Asking for my friend @Haywood Jablomi.

Jan 16, 2020
Wow. Thanks UD! 1973 was before I was born.

Jesus, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were before you were born, too .... still worth knowing about. State of Virginia had best "small college" hoops in the nation with ODU and Roanoke as NCAA National Champs, R-MC National Runner up, and the five Black schools (Union won d-2 in '80). RPI/VCU was slow getting off the launching pad - but it took off like a rocket primarily due to the spring of '70 recruiting class.

Last edited:

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Jesus, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were before you were born, too .... still worth knowing about.

depends on how “woke” one is......apparently history or herstory or theirstory is irrelevant unless it exists to support a narrative or serve as an object for scorn

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
depends on how “woke” one is......apparently history or herstory or theirstory is irrelevant unless it exists to support a narrative or serve as an object for scorn
That is what I, we, you, he, she, it, and they said.

Reactions: PRock