Senior Class

Sep 2, 2013
Contrary to what many people believe, this season is far from over. We are 12-5 with no bad losses. I think what has disappointed people this year comes from the inflated expectations put on the shoulders of these seniors. This team is a better team than last year's team; we have just lost to teams playing better ball than us.
What this team is lacking right now is confidence. The whole mood of the group seemed to change after losing to Purdue and Tennessee. I think one good win can fix that.
The seniors are playing like the weight of the world is on their shoulders when they should be leaving it all out on the floor and having fun.
I remember hearing on the broadcast last night that MR said the team plays better on the road than at home. That tells me that maybe the pressure being pushed on these players by the fans might be a bit much ( I could be wrong).

In the end, I will root for these young men win or lose.

Go Rams Go!

Kenneth Jones

Insider
May 15, 2017
Contrary to what many people believe, this season is far from over. We are 12-5 with no bad losses. I think what has disappointed people this year comes from the inflated expectations put on the shoulders of these seniors. This team is a better team than last year's team; we have just lost to teams playing better ball than us.
What this team is lacking right now is confidence. The whole mood of the group seemed to change after losing to Purdue and Tennessee. I think one good win can fix that.
The seniors are playing like the weight of the world is on their shoulders when they should be leaving it all out on the floor and having fun.
I remember hearing on the broadcast last night that MR said the team plays better on the road than at home. That tells me that maybe the pressure being pushed on these players by the fans might be a bit much ( I could be wrong).

Go Rams Go!
Well spoken, couldn't agree more!

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Why do you think this is a better team than last year's team?
Tremendously better bench. Otherwise about the same, just have several key guys going through an awful slump at the same time. There are workable solutions to that.

While we may be victims of the fallacy that teams full of upperclassmen with little turnover usually get better (statistically they usually stay about the same), that leaves us with a darn good team, same as last year. Plenty of season left, get to Brooklyn and see what happens. Then rinse and repeat.

Reactions: ramzilla and DevDog

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Pretty much. You'd think we'd just gotten blown out by Fordham on our home court seeing some of the reactions. We have a stretch now where we have some time to correct our issues...but we need to correct them.
Bona on Saturday and then the cheesesteak tour. I know I will at least make the La Salle game the following Saturday. I kind of want to go to Hagan too but the Tuesday thing and the drive hurts that one. One at a time and then the team gets UR at the Stu.

Dec 2, 2012
Tremendously better bench. Otherwise about the same, just have several key guys going through an awful slump at the same time. There are workable solutions to that.

While we may be victims of the fallacy that teams full of upperclassmen with little turnover usually get better (statistically they usually stay about the same), that leaves us with a darn good team, same as last year. Plenty of season left, get to Brooklyn and see what happens. Then rinse and repeat.
Please go on

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Pretty much. You'd think we'd just gotten blown out by Fordham on our home court seeing some of the reactions. We have a stretch now where we have some time to correct our issues...but we need to correct them.
It's not just the Dayton loss. It's a combination of the Dayton loss and a home loss to a mediocre Rhode Island team. At the end of the season, that Rhode Island loss is going come back to haunt VCU big time. Posters say it was not a bad loss, but I disagree. Particularly since it was at the Stu. Due to lack of depth, Rhode Island very well could be going in the same direction as Davidson once February hits.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
It pains me so much to see Mooney and his players playing so polished getting the most out of his bunch while we look like the complete opposite.
What's even more painful is fur is doing it without any seniors. So much for a senior laden team being an advantage in college basketball.

Reactions: RamStrut and Newboy

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

Go Rams Go!
I agree with you that the season is not over, and that the disappointment stems from expectations. Coming off of last year, our expectations were justifiably high for this season. We can still accomplish every goal we have for this year. We can still win the A-10 regular season, but will need some help. We can win the A-10 tournament and we can make a run in the NCAA Tournament.

Where I would differ from you is this: some of the disappointment isn't necessarily the losses. Speaking for myself only, I didn't think we'd go undefeated. In fact, at this point I thought we'd be 14-3; one loss in Florida, a loss at Wichita and a loss at Dayton. Going 0-2 in Florida and the home loss to Rhody were unexpected. There isn't much difference in 14-3 and 12-5 numerically, so it isn't really the record that is disappointing, but rather how we've played. Even in some wins, we haven't looked good. For example, Alabama State shouldn't have been within 30 of us. They never really threatened us, but we didn't look good that night given the competition, in my opinion. In most games we seem to go through these strange lulls, where we are just not good at all. I would expect that from a less-experienced team, but not from a team with most of its players returning. One game it is turnovers on offense; another game it could be FT shooting or shooting in general; another game might be the defense wasn't where it should be for a long stretch. I certainly don't expect perfection from any team, but I also didn't expect to see the constant struggles seemingly every game. If we can start putting together complete games, then watch out because we can compete with anyone at that point.

Also, last night the broadcasters said that Rhoades had told them the team was more FOCUSED on the road compared to being at home. That is different that playing better one place or another. VCU plays better at home; most every team does, even though the focus is often greater on the road (less distractions).

In the end, this team can play better, and all of our goals are still in front of us. However, a bit more than halfway through the season, they aren't as good as most expected. Typing that doesn't mean I won't support them. I always will because I bleed black and gold. We have great kids who graduate and are good people (met them all); we have a great staff, all of whom I am fortunate to know personally. I think the players and coaches would tell you they are disappointed to lose any game. Show me a player or coach who isn't disappointed in a loss, and I'll show you someone who rarely wins.

Let's get this thing turned around on Saturday and beat up the Bonnies. We owe them from having the audacity to win in our building two years ago. Peace all.

Last edited:

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I agree with you that the season is not over, and that the disappointment stems from expectations. Coming off of last year, our expectations were justifiably high for this season. We can still accomplish every goal we have for this year. We can still win the A-10 regular season, but will need some help. We can win the A-10 tournament and we can make a run in the NCAA Tournament.

Where I would differ from you is this: some of the disappointment isn't necessarily the losses. Speaking for myself only, I didn't think we go undefeated. In fact, at this point I thought we'd be 14-3; one loss in Florida, a loss at Wichita and a loss at Dayton. Going 0-2 in Florida and the home loss to Rhody were unexpected. There isn't much difference in 14-3 and 12-5 numerically, so it isn't really the record that is disappointing, but rather how we've played. Even in some wins, we haven't looked good. For example, Alabama State shouldn't have been within 30 of us. They never really threatened us, but we didn't look good that night given the competition, in my opinion. In most games, we seem to go through these strange lulls, where we are just not good at all. I would expect that from a less-experienced team, but not from a team with most of its players returning. One game it is turnovers on offense; another game it could be FT shooting or shooting in general; another game might be the defense wasn't where it should be for a long stretch. I certainly don't expect perfection from any team, but I also didn't expect to see the constant struggles seemingly every game. If we can start putting together complete games, then watch out because we can compete with anyone at that point.

Also, last night the broadcasters said that Rhoades had told them the team was more FOCUSED on the road compared to being at home. That is different that playing better one place or another. VCU plays better at home; most every team does, even though the focus is often greater on the road (less distractions).

In the end, this team can play better, and all of our goals are still in front of us. However, a bit more than halfway through the season, they aren't as good as most expected. Typing that doesn't mean I won't support them. I always will because I bleed black and gold. We have great kids who graduate and are good people (met them all); we have a great staff, all of whom I am fortunate to know personally. I think the players and coaches would tell you they are disappointed to lose any game. Show me a player or coach who isn't disappointed in a loss, and I'll show you someone who rarely wins.

Let's get this thing turned around on Saturday and beat up the Bonnies. We owe them from having the audacity to win in our building two years ago. Peace all.
Yes! Not the record, per say, but the way they look.