Senior Class

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
It's not just the Dayton loss. It's a combination of the Dayton loss and a home loss to a mediocre Rhode Island team. At the end of the season, that Rhode Island loss is going come back to haunt VCU big time. Posters say it was not a bad loss, but I disagree. Particularly since it was at the Stu. Due to lack of depth, Rhode Island very well could be going in the same direction as Davidson once February hits.
Can't be any worse than Charleston last year. We can overcome it.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Sounds good but I don't think the results reflect that. We've only won two games away from the Stu, one game (Charleston) we were down 8 at half time and won by four. The other was Mason who we handled pretty easily. I'm not seeing how that statement is remotely true (I'm sure someone will post some advanced stats for make the case).
He said that they are more focused on the road i.e. less distractions. Not that they play better.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
For all the sky is falling around here I actually think this years resume is better at the moment then last years 8 seed team. That said, fingers crossed the offense can get going again.
Interesting point. Exact same record. We certainly have better losses than at this point last year. But I think we had more impressive wins last year (Temple, Texas). Last year our out of conference schedule seemed significantly more impressive than this year.'

The fact that expectations were greater this year comes into play too.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Interesting point. Exact same record. We certainly have better losses than at this point last year. But I think we had more impressive wins last year (Temple, Texas). Last year our out of conference schedule seemed significantly more impressive than this year.'

Plus, the odds of VCU making a run in this year's A-10 regular season like last year's run are slim to none.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If you are a VCU player and coach, you better darn well think this is possible.
that would mean running the table from here to the end of the regular season. Anything can happen, but I just don't see this team going 14-0 through the rest of the schedule. I'm betting the coaching staff and players also don't see that happening. I hope they prove me wrong.

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011

I will always defer to @BracketForecast when it comes to resumes but it seems to me the out of conference is about identical save for no “bad losses”. Last year the Q1 win was at Texas. This year the Q1 game is home to LSU. Last year the Q2 win was neutral vs Temple and this year it is at Charleston. This years A10 also has plenty of Q1/Q2 chances and less of a chance for a bad loss like the two vs Rhode Island last year. Of course this years quads can change as the season progresses.

I agree with you that expectations are a lot higher this year. Not seeing the progress on the offense like I thought I would see has been disappointing so far.

Reactions: mrgeode

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
Didn’t we have like the 2nd non conference SOS last year? I definitely think that played a role in getting an at-large. Not the case this year.

Reactions: connell

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
He didnt win more than a few games, just seemed like it.:|
Actually, if you look back at last year ME had big games in almost every tough game or critical game that we played. If he wasn’t the high scorer he hit the key basket or basket toward the end of the game. No doubt, DJ and IV were also main contributors but ME came up big in almost all key games. This year, it is not for lack of effort or heart but the lanes are not there, his shots have not been falling, but most of all he seems frustrated and almost desperate at times. I feel like he may be turning the corner and what I really want to see is a smile on his face as he remembers how much fun the game can be again. We have a lot of basketball in front of us and I know we all want these seniors to enjoy their last year. Enjoy the journey and GO RAMS!!!!

Nov 19, 2019
I will say our quintet has done a superb job on jump balls. I think we are 15-2 and tops in the league also.