Senior Class

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I don’t believe it is intentional. But...
2006 - GW NCAA 8 seed, X wins A-10 to be 14
2007 - X 9, GW wins to be 11
2008 - X 3, Temple wins to be 12
2009 X 4, Temple wins to be 11
I don’t think McGlade became commish of the A-10 until 2009.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Not really..........(original comment was about offensive production/efficiency/improvement, not D)

Top 60 HS recruit
- 6'5" senior shooting guard - 10.8 ppg (down from each of the last two years)
- 27 minutes per game (leads team)
- 40% FG
- 31% 3FG
- just 45 FTs attempted in 18 games (2.5 FT per game)
- 4.2 rebounds (up from 3.9)
- 2 assists per game
- no noticeable difference/improvement defensively that wouldn't otherwise be expected of any normal junior-to-senior progression

These are fairly pedestrian numbers for a starting shooting guard averaging 27 mpg; he likely won't make first or second team all A-10 his entire career. Decent player/career (two, hopefully three, NCAA appearances). Never quite made "the leap."

If you want to see what a "very good" senior year looks like, go check the senior stats of VCU guards/wings/perimeter players BA Walker, Jesse Pellot-Rosa, Eric Maynor, Melvin Johnson, Jamal Shuler, Brad Burgess, Troy Daniels, Jequan Lewis, Treveon Graham, etc.
Different teams, different coaches, different roles. His 10.8 points per game is down a half point from last year. He’s also playing less minutes and taking slightly fewer shots than the previous two years. You neglected to mention that, but I’m sure it was an honest oversight.

You look at 45 FTs in 18 games as a negative. He took 48 FTs all of last season (32 games) and 60 in 33 games as a sophomore. Thus, he’s taking more FTs per game this year and converting at a much higher clip.

His overall FG % is the same as last year; his 3-point % is down as I mentioned in my post.

As you acknowledged, his assists and rebounds are up. His steals are a career high and his turnovers are down 50% from his sophomore year.

If you cannot see the improvement in his defense, then I cannot help you. Sit with Litos or the staff and they’ll help you see it.

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
Different teams, different coaches, different roles. His 10.8 points per game is down a half point from last year. He’s also playing less minutes and taking slightly fewer shots than the previous two years. You neglected to mention that, but I’m sure it was an honest oversight.

You look at 45 FTs in 18 games as a negative. He took 48 FTs all of last season (32 games) and 60 in 33 games as a sophomore. Thus, he’s taking more FTs per game this year and converting at a much higher clip.

His overall FG % is the same as last year; his 3-point % is down as I mentioned in my post.

As you acknowledged, his assists and rebounds are up. His steals are a career high and his turnovers are down 50% from his sophomore year.

If you cannot see the improvement in his defense, then I cannot help you. Sit with Litos or the staff and they’ll help you see it.
I think we have very different definitions of "very good" (which, frankly, doesn't surprise me).

You go right ahead and believe (try to justify) anything you want.

As for this -- "sit with Litos or the staff and they’ll help you see it"..............please. 😆

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
I think we have very different definitions of "very good" (which, frankly, doesn't surprise me).

You go right ahead and believe (try to justify) anything you want.

As for this -- "sit with Litos or the staff and they’ll help you see it"..............please. 😆
Whatever you need to say or type to feel good or to get yourself through the day is fine with me.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Dear Marcus/Isaac/Deri’/Mike’l/Malik
Please go to Amazon Prime and cue up Unbelievable is Believable Here. Skip to the 38 minute mark and listen to Rob Brandenburg discuss the impact of the Seniors on their team. When that is completed, please know that there is plenty of time for you guys to lead this team from Good to Great.
Now is your chance
Now Is your time

Sincerely,
Every VCU Ram Fan

We Love You Guys!!
Go Rams!!!!

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Not really..........(original comment was about offensive production/efficiency/improvement, not D)

Top 60 HS recruit
- 6'5" senior shooting guard - 10.8 ppg (down from each of the last two years)
- 27 minutes per game (leads team)
- 40% FG
- 31% 3FG
- just 45 FTs attempted in 18 games (2.5 FT per game)
- 4.2 rebounds (up from 3.9)
- 2 assists per game
- no noticeable difference/improvement defensively that wouldn't otherwise be expected of any normal junior-to-senior progression

These are fairly pedestrian numbers for a starting shooting guard averaging 27 mpg; he likely won't make first or second team all A-10 his entire career. Decent player/career (two, hopefully three, NCAA appearances). Never quite made "the leap."

If you want to see what a "very good" senior year looks like, go check the senior stats of VCU guards/wings/perimeter players BA Walker, Jesse Pellot-Rosa, Eric Maynor, Melvin Johnson, Jamal Shuler, Brad Burgess, Troy Daniels, Jequan Lewis, Treveon Graham, etc.
Actually Troy Daniels never made All League. In fact comparing Sr. years Troy scored slight more than Jenkins 12.3. to Jenkins 11.1 but Troy took more shots per game. Further, Jenkins leads him in every other category except 3 point shooting percentage. Rebounds , Assists (Over 3x's as many as Troy,) Steals(over 2x as many as Troy), Blocks (4x as many).

Jenkins averages more rebounds, assist, steals, blocks, and shoots free throws at a higher percentage than BA did as a Sr. He also shoots from a deeper 3 point line.

Bradford Burgess as good as he was actually slumped his Sr. Season. Bradford shot just 36.5 from the floor, vs 48.7 his Jr. year, his 3 point percentage dropped as well from 43.4 to 36. 7, rebounding yep it dropped fro 6.3 to 5.0 as did his assists and steals. Bradfords scoring and rebounding are higher but he certainly didn't make a jump from Jr to Senior year. Jenkins numbers having really dipped relatively from Jr. to Sr.year.

Heck even Treveon Grahams shooting percentage was lower from Jr to Sr. year as was his steals, assists and free throw shooting.

So the guys you named were very good and some great VCU Rams but like Jenkins not all of them improved their production from Jr. to Sr. year.

Also you have to consider that most of those guys had Sr.'s leave who were ahead of them and thus they had the room to score more do to loss of previous years production. Treveon lost Ju and Rob B, Melvin Johnson lost Treveon and Bri, Shu lost both JPR and BA, Brad lost Jamie, Joey, Brandon, Ed, Troy, Troy lost Burgess, and JeQuan lost Melvin. All those guys had room for more shots and scoring. Jenkins didnt lose anyone. In fact, he adde Bones who needs shots, and Curry who also needs shots.

Your comparison IMO doesn't stand up. Yes, Jenkins was expected to be better no doubt. To his credit he has also been a much better defender than most guys on your list and his D is amongst the best in the league. I do admit I am still waiting for a get our of my face, jump shooting, reverse dunking 30 point game ala Willie Taylor. He has the ability. However, just because I am not getting it doesnt mean that Jenkins has had a bad Sr. year.

Finally, you ever think he is doing what his Coach is asking of him?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
It's not just the Dayton loss. It's a combination of the Dayton loss and a home loss to a mediocre Rhode Island team. At the end of the season, that Rhode Island loss is going come back to haunt VCU big time. Posters say it was not a bad loss, but I disagree. Particularly since it was at the Stu. Due to lack of depth, Rhode Island very well could be going in the same direction as Davidson once February hits.
This is just ridiculous. RI is a good program. One of the best in the A10. They are in just about everyone's bracket projection. Fatts and Dowtin are 2 of the best players in the league. They are definitely going in the right direction.

Reactions: RamStrut

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
This is just ridiculous. RI is a good program. One of the best in the A10. They are in just about everyone's bracket projection. Fatts and Dowtin are 2 of the best players in the league. They are definitely going in the right direction.
And that post is from January 15th, over a month ago after fur beat RI in RI and VCU lost to RI in the Stu. :roll:

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Actually Troy Daniels never made All League. In fact comparing Sr. years Troy scored slight more than Jenkins 12.3. to Jenkins 11.1 but Troy took more shots per game. Further, Jenkins leads him in every other category except 3 point shooting percentage. Rebounds , Assists (Over 3x's as many as Troy,) Steals(over 2x as many as Troy), Blocks (4x as many).

Jenkins averages more rebounds, assist, steals, blocks, and shoots free throws at a higher percentage than BA did as a Sr. He also shoots from a deeper 3 point line.

Bradford Burgess as good as he was actually slumped his Sr. Season. Bradford shot just 36.5 from the floor, vs 48.7 his Jr. year, his 3 point percentage dropped as well from 43.4 to 36. 7, rebounding yep it dropped fro 6.3 to 5.0 as did his assists and steals. Bradfords scoring and rebounding are higher but he certainly didn't make a jump from Jr to Senior year. Jenkins numbers having really dipped relatively from Jr. to Sr.year.

Heck even Treveon Grahams shooting percentage was lower from Jr to Sr. year as was his steals, assists and free throw shooting.

So the guys you named were very good and some great VCU Rams but like Jenkins not all of them improved their production from Jr. to Sr. year.

Also you have to consider that most of those guys had Sr.'s leave who were ahead of them and thus they had the room to score more do to loss of previous years production. Treveon lost Ju and Rob B, Melvin Johnson lost Treveon and Bri, Shu lost both JPR and BA, Brad lost Jamie, Joey, Brandon, Ed, Troy, Troy lost Burgess, and JeQuan lost Melvin. All those guys had room for more shots and scoring. Jenkins didnt lose anyone. In fact, he adde Bones who needs shots, and Curry who also needs shots.

Your comparison IMO doesn't stand up. Yes, Jenkins was expected to be better no doubt. He has also ben a much better defender than most guys on your list and his D is amongst the best in the league. I do admit I am still waiting for a get our of my face, jump shooting, reverse dunking 30 point game ala Willie Taylor. He has the ability. However, just because I am not getting it doesnt mean that Jenkins has had a bad Sr. year.

Finally, you ever think he is doing what his Coach is asking of him?
Well said.