Senior Class

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
It’s hard to win this many games in a row. It would serve Dayton well to drop a game now I think. As far as a blueprint to beat them, it was a loss.
I think they're more likely to drop one against a middle of the pack team than URI. But I wouldn't be surprised if they win out until their first or second game in Brooklyn and then take a week off.

Reactions: Celticguy and SWV

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
We set high ball screens almost every time on offense with our big men. Why are they ineffective ? Two things , one we seldom look to the roller( has to look for the ball) and two, our guards aren't very good at dribbling tight enough on the screener to make the screen effective. We seem to be trying to look mostly for the switch on D where we get the guard on our big . Our guard kicks to the corner then we try to hit the mismatch from there ( much more difficult to score inside due to less angles to work). Or we try to reverse the ball to other side and hope we still have the mismatch. However our spacing isn't good enough and the defense has time to switch back and we end up settling for some contested three pointer. If we had a big ( don't know why we didn't see Douglas more) that could pull Toppin away from the basket driving to the basket would have given us our best chance last night. Hitting bunnies and free throws makes the outcome different . But I agree that our seniors failed bigtime when the cream is suppose to rise to the top.

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
10 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, and 0 blocks from 4 seniors tonight.

Next year will be addition by subtraction.

Clark, McAllister, and Ward looked better than upperclassmen tonight. Not to mention Bones leading us in scoring. Play the freshmen and Curry more. Play the seniors less.
Seniors were 3 for 20 on FGs I might add. It’s embarrassing to be out shot like this in your own gym.

May 4, 2012
I'll cut ME some slack because of injuries. Hes doing the best he can.
DJ finally started showing some of the promise I saw as a freshman just wish he had gotten going sooner.
Vann I dont get. Maybe its him just not getting to be the player he wanted to be or maybe he was a U of Maine level guy. I doubt we will ever find out.
Crow ? May have a nice stroke and he does work and do whats asked but maybe just a limited ceiling.
Kel has been ok as a JUCO. Showed some promise early but was likely always going to be a role player in D1.
I'm hoping Douglas puts it all together next year and that MSS gets a real 4 to work with.

RVABean

Top Member
Oct 19, 2015
I'll cut ME some slack because of injuries. Hes doing the best he can.
DJ finally started showing some of the promise I saw as a freshman just wish he had gotten going sooner.
Vann I dont get. Maybe its him just not getting to be the player he wanted to be or maybe he was a U of Maine level guy. I doubt we will ever find out.
Crow ? May have a nice stroke and he does work and do whats asked but maybe just a limited ceiling.
Kel has been ok as a JUCO. Showed some promise early but was likely always going to be a role player in D1.
I'm hoping Douglas puts it all together next year and that MSS gets a real 4 to work with.
Thats a pretty fair assesment.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Which of our freshman outside of bones will start shooting and making 3s? Or are we only going to focus on driving the ball.
OK so I have a different take. We are not a bad three point shooting team. We take bad shots. Yes we have one player Bones who really excels at getting good shots but for the most part, no one else is really good at getting good shots. We don't collapse the defense often enough. We need paint touches. Our underclassmen are are better than our upperclassmen at making entry passes into the paint. We need people that can drive the lane without turning the ball over.

PS As I have said before, the talent level goes up next year

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
OK so I have a different take. We are not a bad three point shooting team. We take bad shots. Yes we have one player Bones who really excels at getting good shots but for the most part, no one else is really good at getting good shots. We don't collapse the defense often enough. We need paint touches. Our underclassmen are are better than our upperclassmen at making entry passes into the paint. We need people that can drive the lane without turning the ball over.

PS As I have said before, the talent level goes up next year
Our shooting percentages bear this out.

Reactions: SWV

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I haven’t listened to this podcast (and doubt I will) but this quote definitely has some merit.
Not buying it. Why would that just be a thing now ? Reason 1, College players used to routinely play 4 seasons before moving on to the pros or ending their careers.

There are more avenues for post college employment playing basketball so that would be reason 2 why I'd call BS. Kids have every reason to stay motivated their senior year.

Are they playing more games now than before entering college ? Is it the internet's fault ?? Most things are.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWV