Staff Shaka to Marquette (#DoneDeal)

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
The writing had to be on the wall in Austin. Marquette is a good job, but it’s a downgrade. He could have had this job about 8 years ago.
I recognize that in the ordinary ordinal rankings of the coaching world what you say is true, but if you hate where you are the job sucks. He'll make a nice living at Marquette and I hope he is happy. He deserves better than the treatment he got in Texas

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
This is wild. Has to be that Shaka is probably so close to getting fired he is bailing when the time is right. Also, having four year players over one and dones has to have be part of it. Milwaukee though.
The crazy thing is this is coming off Texas's first conference title since they've been in the Big 12, but I'm positive the administration was about to can him after the lost to Abilene Christian (likely the last straw in a long string of tournament failures).

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
I know people will spin Texas as being this great job due to it's resources, but even back when we were trying to beat them back with a stick Marquette was a better fit for Shaka. Even with less money and name recognition (as well a bit of a tarnished coaching brand) I think Shaka is in a much better position to win at Marquette than he ever was or would be at Texas. I'm pleased to be able to root for him again.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I remember sitting in the Cabell Library in March 2014 when Twitter went crazy about how Shaka to Marquette was a done deal.
Regardless - I think this is a good move for him. He was okay at Texas, but losing to ACU was the nail in the coffin. It's not working as planned and I don't blame him for taking a good job like Marquette.

Now.... what does Texas do from here? This coaching carousel has been crazy.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The crazy thing is this is coming off Texas's first conference title since they've been in the Big 12, but I'm positive the administration was about to can him after the lost to Abilene Christian (likely the last straw in a long string of tournament failures).
Marquette is a basketball school. He got tired of the foolishness of Texas. Good for Shaka.