Staff Shaka to Marquette (#DoneDeal)

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
It's hard to build excitement around "I better take this job quick because the other guys are gonna fire me any minute now."
Marquette is a top 40 job that will pay millions of dollars a year. It’s a step down from Texas, but 99% of the world would say it’s a step up from VCU. I think he should have gambled on one more year at Texas, but Shaka knows more about the team he could build next year than I do.

Reactions: Ramdog

VCUBeatsduke

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I’ll add my 2 cents. Coach Smart speaks so eloquently and from his heart. There is still passion there. Relationships mean everything to him. I was told by a senior VCU staffer that Coach just liked to hang out with his guys and not mess with all of the rest of the stuff HC have to do with alumni and other University commitments. I think it’s funny how it always comes back to VCU - hardly any words about his 6 years at UT. He may have been more done with them than we know.

When was named HC at VCU his eyes were lit up and he an inferno burning inside of him. He was ready for the world. I did not feel that with this press conference. Not having a Large crowd may have affected the energy. Starting over again must be daunting.

He hand picked one of the greatest group of assistant coaches and they built there program. It will be interesting to see if any of his assistant coaches follow. He said how he would never take that Final Four for granted. I bet that magical moment crosses His mind more than we think.

I wish Coach Smart great success. I actually mean it this time.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
He's coming off a major failure. Texas was his dream job and his attraction to it allegedly was that they were going to compete for national championships every year. By that standard, every one of his six seasons was a complete failure. Abilene Christian won more NCAA tournament games than his Texas teams. As bad as it was for him, it was an even bigger disaster for the Texas program. Rick Barnes is looking like John Wooden now.

May 19, 2015
I’ll add my 2 cents. Coach Smart speaks so eloquently and from his heart. There is still passion there. Relationships mean everything to him. I was told by a senior VCU staffer that Coach just liked to hang out with his guys and not mess with all of the rest of the stuff HC have to do with alumni and other University commitments. I think it’s funny how it always comes back to VCU - hardly any words about his 6 years at UT. He may have been more done with them than we know.

When was named HC at VCU his eyes were lit up and he an inferno burning inside of him. He was ready for the world. I did not feel that with this press conference. Not having a Large crowd may have affected the energy. Starting over again must be daunting.

He hand picked one of the greatest group of assistant coaches and they built there program. It will be interesting to see if any of his assistant coaches follow. He said how he would never take that Final Four for granted. I bet that magical moment crosses Hisb mind more than we think.

I wish Coach Smart great success. I actually mean it this time.
I wish Shaka Smart success also. I think you are spot on with your take of his mannerisms during the intro to Marquette. Perhaps I misread his demeanor. He was probably thinking how relieved he is to leave the tumble weed behind for greener pastures😁.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
He's coming off a major failure. Texas was his dream job and his attraction to it allegedly was that they were going to compete for national championships every year. By that standard, every one of his six seasons was a complete failure. Abilene Christian won more NCAA tournament games than his Texas teams. As bad as it was for him, it was an even bigger disaster for the Texas program. Rick Barnes is looking like John Wooden now.
Well yeah. The former AD hired Shaka Smart and Charlie Strong on the principle that Texas’s problems would be solved by throwing money at them. That proved to be hilariously incorrect for football, and only somewhat less so for basketball, and cost that AD his job. Sure, Shaka led them to a Big 12 title this season but they wanted tournament success, and if they thought what Rick Barnes gave them (I believe 16 tournament appearances in 17 years) wasn’t good enough, they were definitely willing to can Shaka after losing to Abilene Christian.

Reactions: Rammit and VRam

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I'm kind of surprised Marquette would hire a coach who hasn't won a tournament game in 8 years, particularly given that he's had so many 5 star recruits over the last 6.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
When Shaka was first named the VCU head coach within days he brought some of the team for a visit to the VCU PICU. When he walked theough the door I thanked him for coming and shook his hand. Call me crazy but I could feel the energy in his body through that hand shake. It was like an electrc shock and unlike anything I had ever experienced.