Staff Shaka to Marquette (#DoneDeal)

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I dunno. As someone whose daughter lives in Baltimore - yes, inside the city limits - I'm gonna push back on that. I feel better about where she is now than when she lived in the Fan. The area between Fells Point and the Inner Harbor is a huge leap better than it was when I lived in Fells Point 30 years ago.
It certainly has changed but if you let your guard down, there will be consequences.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Well, he sort of did eventually take it for granted, didn’t he?
No G he didnt. He was offered what he and his family believed was a better situation and he took it. Fwiw, you cannot blame him for choice. He had a high profile at Texas made a heck of a lot more money for himself and his family, and it didnt have negative affect on his earning potential.

Nov 20, 2009
No G he didnt. He was offered what he and his family believed was a better situation and he took it. Fwiw, you cannot blame him for choice. He had a high profile at Texas made a heck of a lot more money for himself and his family, and it didnt have negative affect on his earning potential.
I get it, but you can’t buy happiness. Besides, with as much coin as he could have had here (reportedly 2.5 or 2.8 mil...I forget), really what difference does it make?

Now, there’s the theme of being “home” at Marquette. There’s also the coming back to a non-football playing school. I recall Shaka liking this when he was here.

Look, I like Shaka and want to see him do well. He did A LOT for VCU and stayed when others wouldn’t have. I just find his plight humorous on some levels.

The track record of VCU coaches leaving for “better” jobs is not good. This is almost as predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I get it, but you can’t buy happiness. Besides, with as much coin as he could have had here (reportedly 2.5 or 2.8 mil...I forget), really what difference does it make?

Now, there’s the theme of being “home” at Marquette. There’s also the coming back to a non-football playing school. I recall Shaka liking this when he was here.

Look, I like Shaka and want to see him do well. He did A LOT for VCU and stayed when others wouldn’t have. I just find his plight humorous on some levels.

The track record of VCU coaches leaving for “better” jobs is not good. This is almost as predictable as the sun coming up tomorrow.
Yeah, the bullpoop is really obvious the second time around.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013

This and consider where Shaka and VCU might be now had he stayed. He had a great recruiting class coming in, a lot of momentum to have another one after that we were in the new conference, he had the new BDC, everything at VCU was big time but the conference and that had just been upgraded. The possibility that VCU would be an every year NCAA tourney team was great and that we would have been making deep runs many of those years was great. The difference in money, is not talking about whether he would be rich, just how rich. I mean how much do you need? I know it's water over the dam now. We have a guy who's going to be here a while, but at some point you have to question the wisdom of leaving a good thing and hoping you find something better. Very often you find that behind the bright lights it not what it seemed.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
This and consider where Shaka and VCU might be now had he stayed. He had a great recruiting class coming in, a lot of momentum to have another one after that we were in the new conference, he had the new BDC, everything at VCU was big time but the conference and that had just been upgraded. The possibility that VCU would be an every year NCAA tourney team was great and that we would have been making deep runs many of those years was great. The difference in money, is not talking about whether he would be rich, just how rich. I mean how much do you need? I know it's water over the dam now. We have a guy who's going to be here a while, but at some point you have to question the wisdom of leaving a good thing and hoping you find something better. Very often you find that behind the bright lights it not what it seemed.

Leaving on a Jet Plane​

Peter, Paul and Mary
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin', it's early morn
Texas's waiting, he's blowin' his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could cry

Last edited:

LLLeopold

Top Member
Feb 3, 2010