Shaka Watch

dirtywb

Top Member
Mar 23, 2013
Not sure how I feel about shaka now, he left the program at a better place than he found it...but I really can't say I want him to be successful at Texas. Maybe that's petty but it's how I feel. Can't picture myself cheering for him when he plays the return game.

dirtywb

Top Member
Mar 23, 2013
Agree. I really thought it would eventually be Big 10 or ACC. But Texas, wow? Two straight NCAA one and done's and a likely off year next year (sorry, I really believe so minus Bri and Tre) - he needed to pull a Barnett.
Yeah he left when it was most advantageous to him, we were poised for a growing year next year but I thought we'd be really good in two years. Shakas best chance to get paid was now.

Reactions: rammed

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014
screenshot the text and ask for verification as proof
This makes me so sad for our student athletes. I feel such angst, I know they must be in a windstorm of emotion. I know it will all be ok & I am counting on y'all to help me & others believe that, but I'm just so sad on so many levels about so many aspects of this.
Sharpen you pencil Mike Litos, we need a double portion of healing balm from you.

S. Jackson

Top Member
Aug 17, 2012
So long Shaka!

Thanks for the memories & everything you did for our great program.

I personally wish nothing but the best @Texas for you and your family.

I will have to root against you though in the home & home, but other than that hope you can give Kansas & Iowa State a run for their money.

It's been great having you around, your a first class guy who treated us well & left our program in a better place than when you got here.

Last edited:

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
1. I am so disappointed with this and can't imagine the players emotions now, especially if he promised any of them he would be here thru their 4 yrs.
2. What happen to the father thing?
3. why is he leaving happiness? Maybe something has happened we dont know about.
4. We surely are going to lose players and our best recruiting class. heck of a blow now.
5. What are we going to get now from an ED hire?
6. I would cancel all my NYC plans except I want to be there to show my support for these kids that stuck with us.
7. I dont care what he does in Texas.
8. Whats gonna happen to our big money sponsors if anything?
9. who in the heck is available now to coach the Rams?
10. a bigger challenge?, I dont think so, I have to think about my family's future, bullpoop.

Reactions: hyeahvcu and Mike T
Nov 9, 2009
I tell you what, the body language I always saw between Ed and Shaka always made me warry.

Ed better not screw this up. He is no Norwood.

Nov 26, 2010
I had wondered towards the end of the season if his players had a feeling he was leaving after the season. Their play before the A10 was so horrific that I thought for sure something else (not bri) was brewing behind the scenes.

Nov 26, 2010
I had wondered towards the end of the season if his players had a feeling he was leaving after the season. Their play before the A10 was so horrific that I thought for sure something else (not bri) was brewing behind the scenes.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Well, did anyone consider that maybe Maya said it was time? I mean it does seem so against the grain of Shaka's steadfast nature but it's very possible. As much as they embraced and were embraced by our community, there may have been an underlying fear that the opportunities would begin to wane and this one was good enough, who knows... It may prove to be fine; or, if Donovan goes to the NBA tomorrow, there may be a lifetime of regret. Regardless, our attention must be directed elsewhere now.
No. I could see Maya having to sign off on this move, but saying it was time? No.

I'll tell you something to consider though. If Shaka had a short list of schools he had his eye on, why are we giving him props for turning down schools that weren't on the list, especially when leveraged it into more money for himself, his assistants, and facility upgrades?