Should The Siegel Center Sell Beer At Games?

Discussion in 'VCU Mens Basketball' started by Natty, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Should VCU sell beer at games?

1. Yes

136 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. Undecided

9 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Natty

Natty Co-Founder Staff Member Top Member

2. Natty

Natty Co-Founder Staff Member Top Member

I voted yes, here's why.

1) There is already alcohol in the building. - You can get beer already in the right suite, from VCU. So there's that.
    2) There has been beer (and liquor for that matter) at all of our conference tournaments. - There may have been incidents that I don't know about, but that seems to have worked out fine at both the CAA tournaments and A-10 tournaments I've been to.
    3) Hard to really kill it at a game - Hard to get wasted at a relatively short basketball game when there are long lines and when you don't want to leave your seat because you're watching hoops. Maybe I'm naive on that one though.

#2 Natty, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  3. ViCtorioUs

ViCtorioUs Legend Top Member

What a pleasant way to spend the evening. Quaffing a cold golden beverage at ones seat while spectating a sporting event. Jolly good. Of course there will need to be strict rules and limits. We wouldn't want inebriated ruffians running willy nilly and disturbing the enjoyment of ladies and gentlemen. I fear that the prices for these refreshing libations will be astronomical, but this would automatically winnow out much of the riff raff.

umwram, JonBoy, VRam and 1 other person like this.
  4. Love2Ram

Love2Ram Hall of Famer Top Member

I'm for it but I wonder if this will add to or decrease the aisle traffic during play that so many complain about. At least 15oo people won't rush to the commonwealth room to chug during halftime and end up missing the first five minutes of the second half. However, we may end up with more people shuffling around to get a drink during the game. If you're going to do it at least offer craft beer. There is no reason to funnel our money to St. Louis. The bilikens are already doing this so I assume the conference doesn't object.

rob0978 likes this.
  5. BigE

BigE Legend Top Member

why would we have to do that with new breweries popping up all over RVA

SportsPenguin and rob0978 like this.
  6. david coxxx

david coxxx Legend Top Member

For those who vote no, are you also in favor of banning alcohol from the hospitality rooms and private suites?

rammad90 likes this.
  7. VRam

VRam Legend Top Member

Ahhahahahahahaha

I voted yes. Of course. Beer is good.

8. rob0978

rob0978 6th Man Top Member

Besides the "legal" booze already in the building...lets not forget the fact that some students already sneak liquor in or mix it with their cranberry juice. I don't think it will add to any potential incidents at all.

I have yet to make it to a Kickers game, but I hear they serve craft beer over there.

I think it would be a cool idea to have local craft beer while enjoying a top-notch sporting event like the Rams.

9. Hoos A Ram

Hoos A Ram 6th Man

Absolutely not. I don't think that alcohol should be served at college events (and to answer the question I'd be OK with banning it in the suites). While the money side would certainly be nice, 1) I find it unbecoming for a school to make money off beer sales when the majority of their student population is under the legal drinking age, 2) I would hate to potentially turn our environment into, say, a Blacksburg football game with a bunch of drunken idiocacy, 3) People inherently make poor choices and have screwed up priorities, which will lead to a constant moving in and out of people to go for a beer run instead of cheering on the Rams.

I realize I'm going to be in the minority on this one, but it's OK.

BigE, vcu70 and KFull-VCU97 like this.
  10. VRam

VRam Legend Top Member

I think the majority of drunks at athletic events arrive in that state, but your points are well-taken.

11. Love2Ram

Love2Ram Hall of Famer Top Member

You are going to love your football team's road games against Louisville and Syracuse next year. They both plan on selling to the general public during the game.

12. MobileMunchies

MobileMunchies Legend Top Member

Not a big fizzy drink consumer. Still, I voted yes. It's at all sporting events. I also think there should be wine. Even if you don;t sell it, peeps will sneak in liquor for their own enjoyment. Make the cash.

VCU94MCV98 likes this.
  13. VCULee

VCULee Starter

i vote yes.

If not, then I think there should be trolleys or buses on a continuous loop 4 hours before tip among Triple Crossing, Hardywood, Ardent, Isley, and the Village. Finish with some drinks and a scouting report in the Commonwealth Room.

TDXRamsFan likes this.
  14. TheScoob

TheScoob Starter Top Member

As my great-grandmother once said--#YOLO.

Steed23, umwram, ShootTheJay and 6 others like this.
  15. TampaKAP

TampaKAP Legend Top Member

The fact that this statement had to be made is the same reason I am undecided. Ultimately, I want to say yes but a little part of me wonders if adding alcohol will do the same thing that keyboard does to some and make them bullies:D