Siegel Center Experience

That was the most intense game I have ever been to. You could cut the hate with a knife. Luckily I didn’t have one.
There was so much hatred between VCU and odu that year. I remember at odu the Lion pushed one of our fans down when it came out, our fan got up and charged the court only for security to stop them. The lion stood at mid court like what did I do? The whole arena was on its feet and straight nasty and that was awhile before tip off. I got told to GFY so many times. Then you had that girl that looked a hooker (Like everything was hanging out everytime intentionally when she was at the VCU odu games.) that stirred stuff up and then at our place she flipped off the band and told them to eat 💩 which triggered a sl*t chant. Man those games were so vicious. Like when mason chanted F you VCU at Pat center it was jealousy. odu truly meant it and hated everything about us. Though I did have some good rounds of shots with the Ted heads at the Coliseum. UR will never reach the nastiness of odu VCU. Honestly we have better chance of SBU tbh. You can’t manufacture straight up hate.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
“It’s Havoc you fear” is not the song to play when the opponent scores the final bucket with .1 second left.

Followed by “You don’t wanna go to war” 🙄

The issue with this particular part is... the band under the current director has a "script" I believe... so instead of just being told when to play... they're also being told what to play & when.

Which for the regular songs "africa", "crazy".... or what not is fine.... but The Hey Song, It's Havoc You Fear & You wanna go to war.... Should not be played after the opponent goes on a run.... Or down by whatever with .4 secs to go and we gotta go the full length of the court.

Those songs should either be used early in the game to get the crowd pumped up, after we get on a big run.... OR late in the game while we are up. Thats honestly my only real grief with the current band director. Now Idk if its him making the schedule of the songs, or the AD, or if they're all drawn out of a hat & randomly ordered.

And the result is.... that a lot of fans, will refuse to chime in & start singing, dancing, clapping, stomping along.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
That year was such a roller coaster. I made so many road trips. I remember Joey’s clinching three at JMU after the arena lost its 💩 about a travel uncalled. At odu my buds and I had second row seats behind the basket. My buds didn’t believe the seats we had until we got there. I remember how angry that arena was that we owned that place. Joey silencing them with a three. Skeen holding up the VCU up at our fans when we won. Then we unravel getting crush by odu where trailing 9 at half was honestly go for us considering. Mason blasting our doors off causing a mass exodus and infamous F you chant at Mason. None of us had hopes for the CAA tourney. The buzzer beater against Drexel was bananas. Running #25 Mason out. Then the darn odu game I mentioned. Little did we know what all that would lead to.
I remember watching us lose at Georgia State first week of January on a really crappy streaming feed at Mulligan's.

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
The issue with this particular part is... the band under the current director has a "script" I believe... so instead of just being told when to play... they're also being told what to play & when.

I agree with you, and that this is one of my biggest gripes about the band issue. At the end of the day, Ryan had an innate sense of what was needed in the moment to help the team, the fans, and create that "Stu Magic".

Which for the regular songs "africa", "crazy".... or what not is fine.... but The Hey Song, It's Havoc You Fear & You wanna go to war.... Should not be played after the opponent goes on a run.... Or down by whatever with .4 secs to go and we gotta go the full length of the court.

Those songs should either be used early in the game to get the crowd pumped up, after we get on a big run.... OR late in the game while we are up. Thats honestly my only real grief with the current band director. Now Idk if its him making the schedule of the songs, or the AD, or if they're all drawn out of a hat & randomly ordered.

And the result is.... that a lot of fans, will refuse to chime in & start singing, dancing, clapping, stomping along.
That’s been a issue for awhile as far as timing. Like we just gave 18 pts in a row and are now tied. WTF are you doing playing going to war? Obviously they want to go to war. How about some situational awareness?

I remember watching us lose at Georgia State first week of January on a really crappy streaming feed at Mulligan's.
GSU was a thorn later CAA days. They beat us on our home court in a shocking upset early one season. It was like their coach’s first season and they had a 7-8 game winning streak coming in I think against very small mid majors where they played shut down defense so none of us took it that serious. I think we finished in the 50s and loss by 3ish. Back then our fans were like how the heck do you only score in the 50s? 😂

Havoc City

Elite Member
That’s been a issue for awhile as far as timing. Like we just gave 18 pts in a row and are now tied. WTF are you doing playing going to war? Obviously they want to go to war. How about some situational awareness?

GSU was a thorn later CAA days. They beat us on our home court in a shocking upset early one season. It was like their coach’s first season and they had a 7-8 game winning streak coming in I think against very small mid majors where they played shut down defense so none of us took it that serious. I think we finished in the 50s and loss by 3ish. Back then our fans were like how the heck do you only score in the 50s? 😂
Do you remember their super enthusiastic fan. He seemed like a good kid. Not obnoxious at all (no sarcasm here). He just really, really loved Georgia State basketball. If memory serves me, I think his fandom led to a free trip to the CAA tournament for him.

Do you remember their super enthusiastic fan. He seemed like a good kid. Not obnoxious at all (no sarcasm here). He just really, really loved Georgia State basketball. If memory serves me, I think his fandom led to a free trip to the CAA tournament for him.

Yep! Him and Calvin of Drexel always stuck out. Not many people had the guts to scream miss it in the away section at VCU right by the students and band every VCU FT. Even odu and Mason weren’t that bold. UNCW would but then they stopped caring with Benny and such. I did like Puppet lady though. UNCW hecklers were awesome. Even when the sucked. I loved that road trip. The cheerleaders and dancers were easy on the eye also lol.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Yep! Him and Calvin of Drexel always stuck out. Not many people had the guts to scream miss it in the away section at VCU right by the students and band every VCU FT. Even odu and Mason weren’t that bold. UNCW would but then they stopped caring with Benny and such. I did like Puppet lady though. UNCW hecklers were awesome. Even when the sucked. I loved that road trip. The cheerleaders and dancers were easy on the eye also lol.
Puppet Lady was possessed, but I did like her.

IstanbulRam

Elite Member
Given the cost of travel I doubt many working class fans were in attendance tonight.

I’m glad Ed is open for engagement but the answer isn’t as simple as corporate fan bad working fan good.
Agreed. I think that the covid year and us essentially missing the tournament the last two years has hurt us with casual fans working class and white collar alike.