Siegel Center Experience

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Or you can answer Wes McElroy’s trivia question on his radio show and win 2 free tickets like yours truly did yesterday.

Anybody know who was the first VCU player to appear in an NBA game?
Nope, but I bet you're gonna tell us

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
One of them spends his time at Tech. His daughter and my daughter are freshman there and run in the same circles. Pretty sure he is the one that had the tickets.
Sons of Shaka?

Two of the guys are the owner(s) of ChemDry. I’ve seen them individually this year, but just with their spouses/kids and not dressed up.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Jessie Dark I believe? 1974? I only know that from looking up before to see who all from VCU has played in the NBA
Yes! I used to religiously read our preseason media guides and I remember Jesse Dark played for the Knicks in 74-75 which was when Gerald was at VCU so I knew it wasn’t him.

My dad says they called him Jessie Bodine (sp?).
Old timers - does that ring a bell?

Ramlove81

Elite Member
It all started with VCU WBB honestly under Beth Cunningham honestly. My freshman year... I was one of the few people in the stands that was not directly connected to the team (family members) or the gameday operations. Hardly any students came to the WBB games until athletics made it a requirement for the "6th man rewards"... and they'd all show up & leave after swiping in. But generally it was Dr. Hunt, his wife and a handful of others... plus family members & such..... and that was it.

To the point that when I was not cheering on the team, stomping on steps or yelling at the refs for stupid calls... that it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. And the players on the bench could literally hear everything I was saying whether I was yelling or not.

And it was then that the fan to player/coach connection started for me.

And you wanna know something kind of ironic, one of the players & one of the assistant coaches who were part of that whole connection.... after bouncing around a few other schools as Asst. Coaches.... are now Assistant coaches together across town at ur. The main coaching staff for ur WBB all came from Bucknell a few years ago after ur fired their previous coach.... and I remember after hearing that the now ur WBB coach got hired over there.... I texted the one who used to play for us and asked if the 2 of them were coming with him.... and they said at the time while it was unofficial.... that yes they were..... so part of me was Happy cause 2 of the people responsible for beginning my connections with a lot of the womens team over the years were coming back to RVA. I even went over to ur one day during the off season just to go see them.

And of course I told them "You know I'm gonna have to "Boo" you for 40 mins at least twice a year now right?"... they both laughed but completely understood.

But that whole fan-coach/player connection started with those Beth Cunningham teams. Also where the tradition started where before every game I'd stand over by where the team comes running out & stick my hand out giving the players a high five & wishing them good luck as they're running out of the tunnel... to the point that the cheerleaders & other fans (usually little kids) started doing it too at the WBB games. Obviously can't do it right now because of Covid and all that, but I'm sure once things are over and "back to normal" that I'll start doing it again.
One of these days when I can get back to Richmond for a game I'll join you in high fiving the team. I've always wondered why we didn't have more fans at the women's games. They work just as hard as the guys and really play an exciting brand of Basketball (shameless advertising for the women ended now).

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
One of these days when I can get back to Richmond for a game I'll join you in high fiving the team. I've always wondered why we didn't have more fans at the women's games. They work just as hard as the guys and really play an exciting brand of Basketball (shameless advertising for the women ended now).
Its obvious why they don't get the support.... because people find it "boring" or other reasons. Also because it's not a revenue sport Athletics doesn't advertise it much. I know the guy who runs the VCU WBB twitter account & he does the best he can getting stuff out there via Twitter/FB/IG... etc. But that's all he can control.

I've said it before.... we could make a Final 4 or National Champ. run (I know its a far chance at that... but for the sake of the argument lets say we do).... our attendance prob still won't go up much, if at all.

RESRam

Insider
This x 1000. I naturally have nervous energy at all times. I have a stand up desk at work and I love it. If it weren’t for SENSITIVE people behind me at The Stu, I’d stand the whole game.
Why are people that pay for their season tickets with donations and seat fees labeled sensitive because they wish to be able to sit in their seats and see the game? I’m not saying it’s not ok to occasionally stand up for a great play, etc. But to stand up for the entire game seems insensitive to me. Suppose the people behind you I described are old and have difficulty standing up/down? Maybe we should have certain sections designated “stand up seats”. That way everyone is happy and at least gets a choice of wether they want stand/sit to watch the game and is aware of the proclivities of those in front of them.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Why are people that pay for their season tickets with donations and seat fees labeled sensitive because they wish to be able to sit in their seats and see the game? I’m not saying it’s not ok to occasionally stand up for a great play, etc. But to stand up for the entire game seems insensitive to me. Suppose the people behind you I described are old and have difficulty standing up/down? Maybe we should have certain sections designated “stand up seats”. That way everyone is happy and at least gets a choice of wether they want stand/sit to watch the game and is aware of the proclivities of those in front of them.
I stand up pretty often but for truly tense games I usually go stand by the railing along the concourse. Works for me, plus I get a different view.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
You make an extremely valid point, I probably should have clarified what I said.

When I sit with my dad at games in Section 5 (behind opponents bench) I am sitting the majority of the time. He has a bad back, hip, foot, etc so he only stands when we go on a run, make a big shot, etc. I get irritated when the team CLEARLY needs a crowd boost and I (or anyone else) stands up and tries to pump up the section that they are in and the people behind them just sit there and look at you like you are committing a crime.

I do think that the two sections in each end zone should have a note regarding standing. Those seats are a combination of students, general admission, and people who bought tickets elsewhere, but found an open spot in that area.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
You make an extremely valid point, I probably should have clarified what I said.

When I sit with my dad at games in Section 5 (behind opponents bench) I am sitting the majority of the time. He has a bad back, hip, foot, etc so he only stands when we go on a run, make a big shot, etc. I get irritated when the team CLEARLY needs a crowd boost and I (or anyone else) stands up and tries to pump up the section that they are in and the people behind them just sit there and look at you like you are committing a crime.

I do think that the two sections in each end zone should have a note regarding standing. Those seats are a combination of students, general admission, and people who bought tickets elsewhere, but found an open spot in that area.
If someone wants to sit the entire game and complain about how others go about enjoying the game, stay home and watch it on TV or the internet. Attending a live sporting event is not the same as going to the movies or the symphony if that’s one’s style.…it is a physical and emotional experience meant for high degree of interaction, it is certainly not a time to sit on one’s hands and whisper good tidings.

No issues if someone wants to attend and doesn’t want to stand and cheer, but geez that’s an individual’s choice. As long as others are respectful in word and deeds—they should be able support the team with whatever level of energy they so desire.

That said, part of being respectful may be looking out for others who may have physical limitations or other hinderances—but beyond that, it’s a sporting event not study hall.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If someone wants to sit the entire game and complain about how others go about enjoying the game, stay home and watch it on TV or the internet. Attending a live sporting event is not the same as going to the movies or the symphony if that’s one’s style.…it is a physical and emotional experience meant for high degree of interaction, it is certainly not a time to sit on one’s hands and whisper good tidings.

No issues if someone wants to attend and doesn’t want to stand and cheer, but geez that’s an individual’s choice. As long as others are respectful in word and deeds—they should be able support the team with whatever level of energy they so desire.

That said, part of being respectful may be looking out for others who may have physical limitations or other hinderances—but beyond that, it’s a sporting event not study hall.

I think both sides make valid points. Fans should be engaged and part of the gameday experience, including standing, yelling and supporting your team. On the flip side, if you and your friend are the only ones constantly standing in your section throughout the game, then you are not being considerate of others attending the game and are being a total jacka$$. And I have witnessed this in person, including at VCU games. It's one thing to cheer your team on. It's another to be standing for extended periods of time during the game for no apparent reason other than to be standing and being a jacka$$. When that happens, then its open season for the rest of the fans around them to complain. Stand and cheer for your team. Just don't be THAT jacka$$!!!

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I think both sides make valid points. Fans should be engaged and part of the gameday experience, including standing, yelling and supporting your team. On the flip side, if you and your friend are the only ones constantly standing in your section throughout the game, then you are not being considerate of others attending the game and are being a total jacka$$. And I have witnessed this in person, including at VCU games. It's one thing to cheer your team on. It's another to be standing for extended periods of time during the game for no apparent reason other than to be standing and being a jacka$$. When that happens, then its open season for the rest of the fans around them to complain. Stand and cheer for your team. Just don't be THAT jacka$$!!!
Fully acknowledge there is no reason to be a jackalope and it is civil to show some respect to fellow fans…..still, it’s a live sporting event, if one is offended by some jostling, standing, colorful language and the possibility of getting something spilled on them—stay home and watch TV. Everyone will be happier by that decision.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Fully acknowledge there is no reason to be a jackalope and it is civil to show some respect to fellow fans…..still, it’s a live sporting event, if one is offended by some jostling, standing, colorful language and the possibility of getting something spilled on them—stay home and watch TV. Everyone will be happier by that decision.

95% of fans attending sporting events know proper fan etiquette. Most fans know when to stand and when to sit. All fans know when to cheer. Not sure why this is even a point of discussion. The examples you use are part of that 5%. Most fans are respectful of each other. If you think 95% of the fans need to cave to that 5% by staying at home and watching the game on TV, then there is a bigger problem. What you are referencing are exceptions, not the norm. At the end of the day, it comes down to respect. Everyone is paying good money to see a sporting event in person and everyone has rights within reason. We don't need to turn all sporting events into Philadelphia Eagles home football games. There's a reason Lincoln Financial has a jail and magistrate in the bowels of the stadium during Eagles football games.