Siegel Center Experience

Ramaholic

Elite Member
If I am unhappy with a product or service it is on me to make the supplier aware.
They are aware. It appears they are not concerned.
I gave a 6 figure gift a few years back. I was supposed to have a naming right. It was in writing. I have a copy and so does VCU Athletics. I gave the money. VCU refused to honor the commitment. I am not sure why. I have discussed it with everyone in the admin. They do not seem to care. I guess I can sue them. But man, I am a former student athlete, you would think they would be proud that I gave such a large amount and would be happy to honor the agreement. I don't understand the contempt they show to donors like me.

Ramdog

Elite Member
I gave a 6 figure gift a few years back. I was supposed to have a naming right. It was in writing. I have a copy and so does VCU Athletics. I gave the money. VCU refused to honor the commitment. I am not sure why. I guess I can sue them. But man, I am a former student athlete, you would think they would be proud that I gave such a large amount and would be happy to honor the agreement. I don't understand the contempt they show to donors like me.
Interesting. so we have moved from an AD that doesn’t care to one that is in breach of contract .
I must assume you have had a face to face with Ed on this.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I gave a 6 figure gift a few years back. I was supposed to have a naming right. It was in writing. I have a copy and so does VCU Athletics. I gave the money. VCU refused to honor the commitment. I am not sure why. I have discussed it with everyone in the admin. They do not seem to care. I guess I can sue them. But man, I am a former student athlete, you would think they would be proud that I gave such a large amount and would be happy to honor the agreement. I don't understand the contempt they show to donors like me.
May be a Dumb question... but was the gift/agreement under the current AD or a previous one? Jw

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Interesting. so we have moved from an AD that doesn’t care to one that is in breach of contract .
Yeah. Bryan, Jon Palumbo and Glenn too (when they were here). It was supposed to be the Student Athlete Academic/Study center in Seigel or the training/ weight room that was in the lower parking deck. Supposedly they are looking into it. They all came back with a proposal offering me to pay an additional $200K for naming rights to the Mens Track locker room (seriously?) We are years from the date it was supposed to occur. At the time I did it, I was pretty proud of myself for being in a position to make such a gift. Now, I sort of don't even want it. It went from a source of pride for me to an embarrassment.

Last edited:

Ramaholic

Elite Member
It was Norwoods last year. It was paid off during the current admin though. It was paid off early. At first I was told the naming opportunity couldn't be actualized till the gift was paid off. Then I was told, it should have been done at the time of the gift. Just a whole lot of pointing and sputtering. This is low end and as I said, how do you think it makes me feel to get a naming right now? Do you think I feel proud about it since they are so begrudgingly and reluctant to do it?

Last edited:

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
It was Norwoods last year. It was paid off during the current admin though. It was paid off early. At first I was told the naming opportunity couldn't be actualized till the gift was paid off. Then I was told, it should have been done at the time of the gift. Just a whole lot of pointing and sputtering. Defend them all you want. This is low end and as I said, how do you think it makes me feel to actually get a naming right now? Do you think I can ever feel proud about it since they are so begrudgingly and reluctant to do it?
As a fan I appreciate your support, and I know you donate to support the student athletes, but there have been so many times over the years reading your posts that I wonder why you still give them anything at all. Hopefully they go above and beyond to make things right with you before it is too late.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
As a fan I appreciate your support, and I know you donate to support the student athletes, but there have been so many times over the years reading your posts that I wonder why you still give them anything at all. Hopefully they go above and beyond to make things right with you before it is too late.
Thanks for the kind words. Its all good. I got some great seats out of the deal. I have alot more to be grateful for. It's just bewildering. I am sure I will get a call next week after they read this and say they are taking care of it. But whatever at this point. Any chance of it being an honor is gone.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
It was Norwoods last year. It was paid off during the current admin though. It was paid off early. At first I was told the naming opportunity couldn't be actualized till the gift was paid off. Then I was told, it should have been done at the time of the gift. Just a whole lot of pointing and sputtering. Defend them all you want. This is low end and as I said, how do you think it makes me feel to actually get a naming right now? Do you think I can ever feel proud about it since they are so begrudgingly and reluctant to do it?
Wow! As an admittedly low key defender of the AD, this and another story that was passed along is giving me serious pause and is troubling to read. Particularly as a former SA, you deserve clarity on the why the agreement has not been honored—seems like there are serious communication issues with the donor base….but hey, what about this new network with an archive of old audio!!!🤦‍♂️

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
I have spoken directly to the athletic department on more than one occasion. Whether I talk to Ed directly or individuals within the athletic department, it's still the VCU Athletic Department, and a direct reflection on the leadership. And when I send an e-mail to an appropriate party within the athletic department, am told in a subsequent conversation that my e-mail has been forwarded up the chain of command and then never receive a response, that tells me a lot regarding the level of respect they have for the general donor.

And I don't seem to be the only long time donor that is frustrated, based on this thread. There clearly is a pattern there.
I think Ed is calling a press conference tomorrow.......to replace you.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Let’s be clear
I am not defending anybody.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Thanks for the kind words. Its all good. I got some great seats out of the deal. I have alot more to be grateful for. It's just bewildering. I am sure I will get a call next week after they read this and say they are taking care of it. But whatever at this point. Any chance of it being an honor is gone.

@Ramaholic, this administration has definitely taken the pride out of giving to the program. Appreciation and respect doesn't cost them a dime. It's unfortunate they don't understand that.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
You can make jokes all you want, but it is obvious that there is a pattern here. @fmrick has stories, @Ramaholic has stories, I have stories. And we are all long time donors - and not the only ones.
Sorry Dude. Whatever the issues are, I hope they are resolved. I have apparently not had the same experiences with the Athletic department as you have.
Upward and onward!

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
Throwing in my 2 cents and I have known all of our AD's. I have only had positive interactions with Ed and his staff over the years since his arrival and have witnessed excellent decision making that kept us on the parth toward our mission. The last few years have presented additional challenges with the tranistions of coaches, introducing the reseating plans , and of course Covid. They are open to listening and dialog and do hear concerns. I think people have felt the pinch of us building our program to another level ( talking the entire department) and how involving corporate donors makes individual fans feel lesser. Expect some more of that as we kick off the campaign for the new athletic village. Also, expect opportunities to help with this and to put yourself in a better position for seating or attendance at our venues.
We are very fortunate to have Ed and he may at times seem busy or cold, but he is not cold and he does listen and he is Busy !!!