Siegel Center Experience

I 100% agree. The vibe is just not there anymore, and I mostly attribute that to the pep band. It used to be half the draw, I mean the antics were just insane. I looked at my youtube channel the other day, there are just a few videos there, and they're mostly wild stuff the Peppas did: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGlrlG3dCruzxc2P8GoQVwg. Watch the end of this video in San Diego and all of the fans of other teams cheering after the Peppas:

That's wild. I remember being SO PROUD of what we had with the Peppas, like something incredibly unique and just amazing that no other hoops program had going on, purely VCU.

Haven't felt compelled to upload anything like that in 6 or so years. Honestly I feel the pep band has gotten progressively worse year after year. If I were the AD i'd make a change this offseason, whether it's bringing back Ryan (who I'm sure would do it), or someone with that kind of energy. We're VCU, a lot of creative and artistic talent in our pool.
Let's Go Ryan!

Ramdog

Elite Member
I 100% agree. The vibe is just not there anymore, and I mostly attribute that to the pep band. It used to be half the draw, I mean the antics were just insane. I looked at my youtube channel the other day, there are just a few videos there, and they're mostly wild stuff the Peppas did: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGlrlG3dCruzxc2P8GoQVwg. Watch the end of this video in San Diego and all of the fans of other teams cheering after the Peppas:

That's wild. I remember being SO PROUD of what we had with the Peppas, like something incredibly unique and just amazing that no other hoops program had going on, purely VCU.

Haven't felt compelled to upload anything like that in 6 or so years. Honestly I feel the pep band has gotten progressively worse year after year. If I were the AD i'd make a change this offseason, whether it's bringing back Ryan (who I'm sure would do it), or someone with that kind of energy. We're VCU, a lot of creative and artistic talent in our pool.
That is missing

rvaram

Elite Member
Even just track down some of the grads that were in the band during the hay day and see if one or two would be interested in coming back to lead them. I would think that would be a dream job if you were a band guy/girl and they would know exactly the sort of energy and vibe we're looking for. Having someone young that can jump around and go crazy is a plus too.

MattRock

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I think Ryan could work, they just need to view him as an asset and not a liability. Ryan's a good guy with a big heart, I think if you keep a guy like that close to your program and work with him through his challenges, big rewards.

A couple things: If you took Ryan and the old Peppas and put them at LaSalle or Fordham, would a crowd like the old VCU crowd suddenly appear?

NOPE!
Ryan was just in the right place at the right time.

The band is just the sizzle, the basketball is the steak.

What made things exciting then was going from Sonny Smith , make the NCAAs once every five years to Grant/Smart fast paced high pressure hoops and making the NCAAs as a regular thing. I miss the old days too, gang, but let's be clear eyed about what made them great.

Second-there is no point bringing in Ryan (or Count Bassey, Louis Prima , or james Brown or any other great band leader) unless you are willing to give the band the resources it needs to improve.

Learning new songs and new acts or stunts or what not takes time, and if you expect a band to take more time to practice you need to pay the band members.

The Peppas are volunteers and get a seat to the game, well la di fricking da we can all see how much time and effort a person is going to be able to spend on the band on a volunteer basis.

Everyone on here seems to feel that the all volunteer band is sadly lacking.

So the actual solution would be to either pay the band; or to give them credit hours for the time they spend, because that's how a band gets better.

There is no point bringing Ryan back to the exact same situation that got him to leave--limited resources given to the band.

Havoc City

Elite Member

I agree 100%. What I find odd, however, is the people who try to argue that the band is just as good now as it used to be. Look, I get people who don't really care that the band isn't as good, and I understand those who say it was time for Ryan to go. But to try and argue that the band is just as good as it used to be is completely perplexing to me.

PuddinDaStunna

Elite Member

The only thing that makes me sad about anti maskers an anti vaxers is that they act as plague rats, spreading disease to the rest of us who care enough about truth, logic, science, reality and our fellow humans to take basic precautions for a pandemic.

If there was a just and loving God the anti maskers and anti vaxers would all die and they would do it quickly before they spread the disease.

IF everyone had vaxxed up and masked up when this started, the disease would be eradicated by now and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We would be back to normal.

Instead idiots are dragging this out.

You won't find any credible experts at this point who think Covid can be eradicated. Even in countries where the vax rate is much higher than ours, they are experiencing surges that equal their worst of the pandemic in terms of case numbers. This thing will be endemic, it is here to stay, that much is almost certain. I'm by no means anti-vax, I got a third dose as 38 year old in the best shape of my life. I'm just realistic. We aren't eradicating it, and we aren't wearing masks forever. Vaccines are effective and I strongly urge everyone I know to get them, but they won't eradicate Covid. Most highly attended full capacity events across the country are largely maskless, VCU requiring masks certainly keeps a number of fans away. This adds to the emptiness we are experiencing at the Stu. Those who are too scared to attend aren't likely to be enticed by crowds wearing cloth masks, often below their nose. By and large people are out and about, we cannot blame Covid on what's happening at the Stu.

As far as event attendance goes:

Festivals were large part of our return to live this summer with many of our festivals selling out in record time, and then overall ticket sales for major festivals was up 10% versus 2019.

Air travel is nearing 2019 levels with very little business travel and very little international business. People are back out and ready to be entertained.

The Stu is not what it once was. I agree with a lot of you that the Pep Band is the first thing I noticed that really started to lose the magic. Did we make the right call when we let Ryan go? Not sure. I don't really blame Ed for not getting involved in a game of chicken, but losing Ryan definitely changed things.

A couple things: If you took Ryan and the old Peppas and put them at LaSalle or Fordham, would a crowd like the old VCU crowd suddenly appear?

NOPE!
Ryan was just in the right place at the right time.

The band is just the sizzle, the basketball is the steak.

What made things exciting then was going from Sonny Smith , make the NCAAs once every five years to Grant/Smart fast paced high pressure hoops and making the NCAAs as a regular thing. I miss the old days too, gang, but let's be clear eyed about what made them great.

Second-there is no point bringing in Ryan (or Count Bassey, Louis Prima , or james Brown or any other great band leader) unless you are willing to give the band the resources it needs to improve.

Learning new songs and new acts or stunts or what not takes time, and if you expect a band to take more time to practice you need to pay the band members.

The Peppas are volunteers and get a seat to the game, well la di fricking da we can all see how much time and effort a person is going to be able to spend on the band on a volunteer basis.

Everyone on here seems to feel that the all volunteer band is sadly lacking.

So the actual solution would be to either pay the band; or to give them credit hours for the time they spend, because that's how a band gets better.

There is no point bringing Ryan back to the exact same situation that got him to leave--limited resources given to the band.
The band of old wasn't paid.......and they were amazing. It's the leader getting the very best out of people who love what they do and are motivated by that leader to have fun with it.

But to try and argue that the band is just as good as it used to be is completely perplexing to me.
Musically they are mostly as good as they were, but if you like a guy stripping down to a superman outfit then the old band was better.

GarseIronjade

Elite Member

The only thing that makes me sad about anti maskers an anti vaxers is that they act as plague rats, spreading disease to the rest of us who care enough about truth, logic, science, reality and our fellow humans to take basic precautions for a pandemic.

If there was a just and loving God the anti maskers and anti vaxers would all die and they would do it quickly before they spread the disease.

IF everyone had vaxxed up and masked up when this started, the disease would be eradicated by now and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We would be back to normal.

Instead idiots are dragging this out.
Talk about unscientific...

There's no evidence that I have seen which indicates that mask use or greater vaccination rates would have eliminated this virus.

It is pretty well accepted that COVID-19 is endemic. It will not be going away no matter how many boosters we take and masks we wear.

The current vaccine offers strong personal protection from severe illness to the vaccinated. If you are vaccinated, you should not be fearful of the unvaccinated or the virus itself. You probably won't be getting severely ill or have to go to the hospital. You will eventually be getting the virus, though. The COVID virus, like the flu, is here for the foreseeable future.

You say you care for your fellow humans...then you should stop wishing people dead, West End Ed. No "just and loving God" would kill billions of people because you are personally inconvenienced and irrationally scared of a virus that you have already been vaccinated for.

Twice now I have noticed you making bizarre mass-death fantasy posts here on VCURN. Please stop.

MattRock

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
The band of old wasn't paid.......and they were amazing. It's the leader getting the very best out of people who love what they do and are motivated by that leader to have fun with it.
This 100%

Ramdog

Elite Member
The band was the center of the game day experience (sans the basketball team). a big part of the energy in the Stu. You need that ...a full compliment of students ...those guys dressing up on the end line..the chanting the singing.
if you don’t have those things then the atmosphere will suffer
it will be like a ur game
you don’t need to pay the band anymore than you need to pay the dance team or cheerleaders or mop boys