Recruiting Silas Demary Jr.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I think it started when someone said Silas visited USC and because LA was so cool (I'm sure I'm dating myself with that word) we didn't stand a chance of signing him.
I simply pointed out that LA is not all paradise (actually Paradise is about 400 miles north of LA and it burned down a few years ago), especially around the USC campus. I was not comparing it to Richmond, someone else did that. It is certainly comparing apples and oranges, or better a grain of sand with a boulder. Anyway, from what little I can tell, doesn't look like Silas has made a decision and unless he says, VCU no, I think we are still in it.
Cool never goes out of style

Do you know where USC is located? Because you seem to think it's on a beach. And I'm pretty skeptical you've spent that much time in LA, at least recently.

I’m pretty skeptical you’ve been anywhere besides Central LA. Or you just Wikipedia a lot of bad LA areas. LA is no different than any city with good and bad areas. You think there’s not gangs in Richmond just like in LA? You’d be surprised. USC is a very prestigious private university that yeah has bad areas near it. News flash VCU has bad places near it too. End of the day USC players aren’t gonna be spending time in those bad areas unless they are looking for trouble. You are talking like USC drops students in skid row and says good luck suckers. I’m well aware of where USC is as are millions of people that try to get into it every year. You try to make it sound like a rat hole which if that where the case it wouldn’t be luring high regarded students and athletes from across the nation and honestly the world. They have one of the highest championship title totals in NCAA. Stop trashing a top university simply because it might out recruit us to a player. They won’t be the first and won’t be the last. All we can do present ourselves the best we can and let the chips fall into place.

RESRam

Insider
I bet her name Holly or something "Christmassy" and the small town she was in always had a big Christmas festival where to cheer her up her mom got her to pick out the town Christmas tree. I both hate and look forward to those Hallmark Christmas movies.
One of our favorites is A Dog Named Christmas.

I’m pretty skeptical you’ve been anywhere besides Central LA. Or you just Wikipedia a lot of bad LA areas. LA is no different than any city with good and bad areas.
USC is a very prestigious private university that yeah has bad areas near it. News flash VCU has bad places near it too. End of the day USC players aren’t gonna be spending time in those bad areas unless they are looking for trouble. You are talking like USC drops students in skid row and says good luck suckers. I’m well aware of where USC is as are millions of people that try to get into it every year. You try to make it sound like a rat hole which if that where the case it wouldn’t be luring high regarded students and athletes from across the nation and honestly the world. They have one of the highest championship title totals in NCAA.

darn you have a hardon for LA. You should move there.

FWIW my uncle has taught at USC my entire life and my cousins attended for free, so I'm well familiar with their pedigree.

The distance between MCV and the new Athletic village is greater than the distance from the USC campus to skid row. That's why it's relevant. The nearest beach to USC is Venice Beach 13 miles away or about 5x as far. Also, Venice has been plagued by hardship, so hardly the idyllic picture you've tried to paint. Add in traffic, and the distances seem even more vast.

Again, when was the last time you were in LA?

You think there’s not gangs in Richmond just like in LA? You’d be surprised.
You're the one focused on crime (and also getting constantly wrong in favor of LA), but the mere fact that I would be surprised about RVA while it's a known quantity in LA is the point.

They have one of the highest championship title totals in NCAA. Stop trashing a top university simply because it might out recruit us to a player. They won’t be the first and won’t be the last. All we can do present ourselves the best we can and let the chips fall into place.

Are you confusing USC with UCLA? USC has 0 national championships, and their last final four was in 1954 and their only other appearance was in the middle of WW2.

So far you've only provided false stats and fantasy. The reason why I would pick VCU over LA-outside of basletball-is pretty straightforward. Richmond is condensed and is more approachable for college students. You don't have to spend half the day getting to where you want to go, and you don't need to be independently wealthy to enjoy the best restaurants and nightlife in RVA. This is important for a basketball player who's free time and expenses are probably minimal outside of team practices and functions.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Elite Member
If you were writing a script for a Hallmark movie, would it take place in LA or Richmond?
Mostly neither, LA would just be the big city where someone was a business exec. and went home to realize small town life was better than the big city. Richmond is neither big enough to be the big city or small enough to be the small town.

darn you have a hardon for LA. You should move there.

FWIW my uncle has taught at USC my entire life and my cousins attended for free, so I'm well familiar with their pedigree.

The distance between MCV and the new Athletic village is greater than the distance from the USC campus to skid row. That's why it's relevant. The nearest beach to USC is Venice Beach 13 miles away or about 5x as far. Also, Venice has been plagued by hardship, so hardly the idyllic picture you've tried to paint. Add in traffic, and the distances seem even more vast.

Again, when was the last time you were in LA?

You're the one focused on crime (and also getting constantly wrong in favor of LA), but the mere fact that I would be surprised about RVA while it's a known quantity in LA is the point.

Are you confusing USC with UCLA? USC has 0 national championships, and their last final four was in 1954 and their only other appearance was in the middle of WW2.

So far you've only provided false stats and fantasy. The reason why I would pick VCU over LA-outside of basletball-is pretty straightforward. Richmond is condensed and is more approachable for college students. You don't have to spend half the day getting to where you want to go, and you don't need to be independently wealthy to enjoy the best restaurants and nightlife in RVA. This is important for a basketball player who's free time and expenses are probably minimal outside of team practices and functions.

1. USC has 111 national championships across all sports. One of the highest totals in college. Not bad for a school that no one would want attend because it’s too dangerous eh?

2. I was just there not long ago.

3. USC players are not poor. They are getting everything covered along with their NIL. They are going to be perfectly fine having a life outside of sports.

4. Rooting for VCU doesn’t mean I have to ignore other good schools. I can see the strengths and shortcomings. No different than if it was Miami, LSU, etc.

duncanlamb

Elite Member

This is the one Silas has been waiting for...pretty much what he said in his last recruitment update.

More on this down below.

Demary talks visits​

USC: “I learned about their playing style. I saw why they are recruiting me and where I fit in with what they are doing. They are looking to get up and down and not play through their bigs as much, so that was really good for me to see. They like I can come in and be a lead guard and make plays right away.”

NC State: “I learned a lot about who Coach (Kevin) Keatts really is as a person. My favorite part of the visit was when we had dinner at his house. The videos he showed about his players and listening to the plans he has for the team really stuck out the most.”

I still have three visits I can take,” Demary said. “I’ve talked to Alabama, Kansas, and Wake Forest so far, but I don’t have anything set yet.”

Alabama: “They have been really good the last few years and have produced some good point guards. Alabama is a winning program; they like how I’m a big guard and get after it on both ends.”

Kansas: “They haven’t offered yet; they’re kind of slow playing it right now. They came in late to see me in July and thought I played really well. They are reaching out consistently.”

Wake Forest: “They offered me a few weeks ago. I had a relationship with Coach (Steve) Forbes and Coach BJ (McKie) from before they offered. For them to come by on the first day after I finished my visit this weekend really means a lot.”

Demary’s take​

“What I’m going to be looking for in a school, well first, have you guys been winning? Secondly, how are the coaches away from my parents? Third, will I be able to play right away and fight for minutes? And finally, how is the environment on and off the court?

I don’t have an exact time frame. As of now, I’m not in too much of a rush, but right now, I’d like to have a decision before the season starts in November

Last edited: