So, As It Turns Out......

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Speaking of the Celtics.....My father went to Ohio State with John Havlicek. I watched him play when I was kid and he was cash money. Humble but a killer on the hardwood.
RIP Hondo
Yeah. I don't really remember him too much. I was young. But a little. More importantly tho.... I can vividly remember the night ole' @RAMification took me up to K-Mart in VA Beach, and bought me a pair of Havilceks. I thought they were the reeeel deeel ! He thought they were going to give me basketball powers. But it didn't really work out so well. :mrgreen:

vcubob

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Yeah. I don't really remember him too much. I was young. But a little. More importantly tho.... I can vividly remember the night ole' @RAMification took me up to K-Mart in VA Beach, and bought me a pair of Havilceks. I thought they were the reeeel deeel ! He thought they were going to give me basketball powers. But it didn't really work out so well. :mrgreen:
One of the best I remember at moving without the ball. Hard to guard.

AlienAiden

Top Member
May 3, 2012
One of the best I remember at moving without the ball. Hard to guard.
This season my father mentioned to me that he thought the Lucas and Havlicek team played the way UVA played this season when it came to off the ball movement. How players move off the ball is an underrated part of the game. Some players take breaks.

Havlicek is an underrated player maybe due to how long ago he played but consider this: Only two players in NBA history have scored at least 26,000 career points, grabbed at least 8,000 rebounds and dished out at least 6,000 assists: LeBron James and John Havlicek

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Top Member
Insider
Dec 4, 2013
Little known (and completely irrelevant to what we do here LOL) fact: Jay Silverheels, better known to millions, as Tonto, hailed from Canada, and was a World-Class Lacrosse Player. OK. There I said it. Why.... I have no idea. But I said it. :mrgreen:
I believe he was Haudenosaunee (Iroquoi) and it's their game. You want to see some Lacrosse by the founders? Go up to Onondaga and watch one of their tournaments, fast, physical fierce competition and a bunch of really fun people.

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
This season my father mentioned to me that he thought the Lucas and Havlicek team played the way UVA played this season when it came to off the ball movement. How players move off the ball is an underrated part of the game. Some players take breaks.

Havlicek is an underrated player maybe due to how long ago he played but consider this: Only two players in NBA history have scored at least 26,000 career points, grabbed at least 8,000 rebounds and dished out at least 6,000 assists: LeBron James and John Havlicek
Havlicek was the prototypical Celtic wing player. When Boston drafted Larry Byrd it was a smart move. In many respects Byrd’s game was similar to Havlicek’s and he fit instantly into Red Auerbach’s system.

Reactions: RamBo

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I believe he was Haudenosaunee (Iroquoi) and it's their game. You want to see some Lacrosse by the founders? Go up to Onondaga and watch one of their tournaments, fast, physical fierce competition and a bunch of really fun people.
AWESOME!! I did not know that. I believe Silverheels was from somewhere in that Central Canadian Grasslands area, which is home to many Native Peoples, as I understand it. I believe in Canada, they are referred to as "First Nations" People. Then again.... if he were akin to the Iroquois, and hearing you speak of Onondaga.... maybe it's further East, where he is from. I don't know. Anyway- super cool. I'm interested in learning more about this (for some reason). Didn't know what a big deal Lacrosse was for these People.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Insider
Dec 4, 2013
AWESOME!! I did not know that. I believe Silverheels was from somewhere in that Central Canadian Grasslands area, which is home to many Native Peoples, as I understand it. I believe in Canada, they are referred to as "First Nations" People. Then again.... if he were akin to the Iroquois, and hearing you speak of Onondaga.... maybe it's further East, where he is from. I don't know. Anyway- super cool. I'm interested in learning more about this (for some reason). Didn't know what a big deal Lacrosse was for these People.
Many of the Haudenosaunee ended up leaving the Up State NY area and many have settled in Canada (mostly Ontario, but also further west) and some upper mid-west states. Some of my Oneida friends returned to NY from Wisconsin. I'm not sure what nation Silverheels is from, but was assuming Haudenosaunee with the lacrosse connection. The tourneys I've seen at Onondaga have been indoors and in small venues. It was crowded, physical and very fast, even when the old guys were playing. For them the game takes on almost a religious feeling. It's part of the tradition of their ancestors and elders. But like a lot of sporting events, heated competition gives way to both teams having a few beers together when the game is over. It was a lot of fun.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Fun fact: Hockey was actually not Canada’s original official national sport, it’s been Lacrosse since 1859 and Hockey was only added on officially as the national winter sport by the Canadian government in 1994.

I can confirm that we Canadians refer to them as ‘First Nations Peoples’. Unfortunately by and large they are treated no better than the majority of Native American peoples in the United States. Lacrosse is one of their many great gifts to us.

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Lacrosse? Hockey? I think I have lost complete track of this thread. Seems to be a meandering road to nowhere and everywhere all at the same time. Sort of like my retirement :)

Reactions: Ululating Daddy

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
Lacrosse? Hockey? I think I have lost complete track of this thread. Seems to be a meandering road to nowhere and everywhere all at the same time. Sort of like my retirement :)
This forum has turned into a collaborative, informative thread where people who share a common admiration for our Rams have brought other sports/athletes related topics to light. The best part about what I’ve read here over the past 10+ pages is folks have not digressed into petty squabbles over the ideas/topics being put forth, but have added content and thoughts of interest. I for one think it’s GREAT and I hope it continues. Just my 2 cents.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
This forum has turned into a collaborative, informative thread where people who share a common admiration for our Rams have brought other sports/athletes related topics to light. The best part about what I’ve read here over the past 10+ pages is folks have not digressed into petty squabbles over the ideas/topics being put forth, but have added content and thoughts of interest. I for one think it’s GREAT and I hope it continues. Just my 2 cents.
Borrrrrrrrririiiiiiiinggggg !!! : )

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
I’ll restate my outside hopes that the university look to invest the dollars into the addition of a Men’s D1 Lacrosse team. We could start with the nucleus of what I understand is a very good men’s club team (which is the model UR employed a few short years ago, and last week they knocked of #10 in the nation Noter Dame).

But if not Lacrosse, what about crew. With the mighty James in our backyard it seems like we “missed the boat” (pardon the pun) on taking advantage of the resource. Up 64 about 70 miles UVA women’s team was/is top 10 in the nation, and their men’s team was/is in the top 25.

We have a boathouse where our club team stores it’s sculls, it seems like the additional costs would be relatively modest. I believe it would draw more focus to our title as “The River City”.

Again, just a thought....