Starting Five

PiKappSpiffy1989

Elite Member
Very surprised this thread has not been started. I feel like a kid in a candy shop trying to pick five since there are so many great ones to pick from. As Ramnation has not been updated our roster, below is current roster.

Here are my five;
Ace
DeLoach
Nunn
Watkins
Brandon Johns?

0Jamir WatkinsF6-7210R-So.Trenton, N.J. / Trenton Catholic
1Adrian "Ace" Baldwin Jr.G6-1190Jr.Baltimore, Md. / St. Frances Academy
2Zeb JacksonG6-5180Jr.Toledo, Ohio / Montverde Academy (Michigan)
4Jalen DeLoachF6-9215So.Savannah, Ga. / The Skill Factory
5Alphonzo "Fats" Billups IIIG/F6-7180Fr.Richmond, Va. / Varina
10Toibu "Tobi" LawalF6-8200Fr.London, England / Lee Academy (ME)
11Christian FerminF6-10215Fr.Tobyhanna, Pa. / Pocono Mountain West
15Arnold Henderson VIG5-10180Sr.Mechanicsville, Va. / St. Christopher's School
21Jarren McAllisterG6-4205R-Jr.Wake Forest, N.C. / Massanutten Military Academy
23Jayden NunnG6-4190So.Flint, Mich. / Dream City Christian School (Ariz.)
24Nick Kern Jr.G6-6190So.St. Louis, Mo. / Vashon
30Brandon Johns Jr.F6-8240Gr.Lansing, Mich. / East Lansing (Michigan)
33Josh BanksG6-5175Jr.Charlotte, N.C. / Olympic
35David ShriverG/F6-6220Sr.Philippi, W. Va. / Philip Barbour (Hartford)

Men's Basketball Coaching Staff​

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Ace
Nunn
Watkins
Johns
DeLoach/Fermin

I think DeLoach starts early in the season and Fermin might take over the starting spot as the season progress. I could also see a smaller lineup starting in certain situations.

Ace
Nunn
Jackson
Watkins
Johns/DeLoach/Fermin

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Ace
Nunn
Watkins
Johns
DeLoach/Fermin

I think DeLoach starts early in the season and Fermin might take over the starting spot as the season progress. I could also see a smaller lineup starting in certain situations.

Ace
Nunn
Jackson
Watkins
Johns/DeLoach/Fermin
I hope we go with the first one you listed on most occasions. We have some interior length so I'd like to see us use it, particularly if Brandon can act as a stretch 4.

SteveMM

Elite Member
I hope we go with the first one you listed on most occasions. We have some interior length so I'd like to see us use it, particularly if Brandon can act as a stretch 4.
I think Johns can absolutely play the 4. In fact, I think he may be more of a 4 than a 5.

I personally would like to see this (with position numbers for clarity):

1) Ace
2) Nunn
3) Watkins
4) Johns
5) Deloach

From what we're all hearing, Deloach's shooting from distance has improved since his hand is fully healed, so he could also effectively play the 4. I'm liking the flexibility we'll have at the 4 and 5, between Johns, Deloach, Shriver and Fermin. The only one I'm not sure could play both positions is Shriver. He seems like he's "just" a 4. My suspicion is that by mid-season Fermin starts to lock down the starting job at the 5, with the other three rotating into the 4 spot and backing up Fermin at the 5 spot. Next season we could see Deloach lock in as a starter at the 4 with Fermin in the 5.

Last edited:
I'm looking for scoring so...
1. Baldwin
2. Jackson
3. Shriver (proven scorer, Watkins a potential one)
4. Johns
5. Deloach

... this gives us a very solid 2nd line to rotate in. I dont like having my only two PG on the floor at once. And I obviously look forward to built in chemistry from the Michigan duo. Deloach can be free to focus on the rim and if he can score too ? So much the better.

RAM_IT

Elite Member
1. Baldwin
2. Jackson
4. Johns
5. Deloach

... this gives us a very solid 2nd line to rotate in. I dont like having my only two PG on the floor at once. And I obviously look forward to built in chemistry from the Michigan duo. Deloach can be free to focus on the rim and if he can score too ? So much the better.

If you think Shriver and Jackson will combine to outscore Nunn and Watkins this season, you sir are mistaken.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
1 Ace Baldwin
2 Jaden Nunn
3 Zeb Jackson
4 Jamir Watkins
5 Brandon Johns

Second starting lineup, going bigger:
1 Ace
2 Jaden Nunn
3 Jamir Watins
4 Brandon Johns
5 Jalen Deloach

Now what are we going to do with: Nick Kern, Christian Fermin, Josh Banks, Fats Billups, David Shriver... all of whom I could see starting and getting the job done also. What a nice problem, having multiple players at every position (except maybe point guard) who could start and do a great job. This will be a challenging juggling act for our coaching staff, but I think it's going to be really fun for us to watch!

VCU Heel

Elite Member
1. Baldwin
2. Jackson
4. Johns
5. Deloach

That’s an absolutely awful starting 5. Laughable even.

Mistachill

Elite Member
So...Shriver playing almost twice as many minutes per game as Watkins in an inferior conference and averaging a whooping 3.5 more points per game makes him a "proven scorer?" Interesting.

Perhaps you want to amend your comment and you really meant to say proven "shooter?"

VCU may be the nation's only school in which the "second five" might beat the "first five" in a game-like scrimmage. I played on a loaded softball team a while back (The Big Sticks at Warbro) in which there was no bad lineup. We led off the second game of the doubleheader wherever the first game ended (in lineup) and started the next week's games with whoever was on deck to end the preceding week. VCU could do pretty much the same. Rhoades could win 25 games with 12 Rams getting 16.6 minutes per.

RAM_IT

Elite Member
VCU may be the nation's only school in which the "second five" might beat the "first five" in a game-like scrimmage. I played on a loaded softball team a while back (The Big Sticks at Warbro) in which there was no bad lineup. We led off the second game of the doubleheader wherever the first game ended (in lineup) and started the next week's games with whoever was on deck to end the preceding week. VCU could do pretty much the same. Rhoades could win 25 games with 12 Rams getting 16.6 minutes per.
I hope so. This is how I feel most pre-seasons then a couple guys far exceed expectations and too many fall below. I will admit things keep looking better each year but there are a lot of question marks outside of maybe 3 guys. Freshman, transfer, coming off injury, will there be a sophomore/junior leap? Nothing is guaranteed yet.

rammad90

Elite Member
Nunn, Ace are locks. Jamir only if 100%. So the leaves us two.

I think we rotate 4-5 guys in those spots dependent upon what Coach wants and what's happening in practice. Jackson, Kerr, Johns, Deloach, Fermin. Shriver might get a start or two but not more than that unless he really puts in work on the defensive side and his shot proves to be as good as advertised.

VCU will be loaded and practice will be fun. Wish this was the 70's and 80's where you could catch a practice or two. #intense