Starting Five

If we play Jamir at the 4 this is the lineup I'd like to see.
This would be fun.

1) Ace
2) Nunn
3) Billups
4) Watkins
5) Deloach
Yes it would fun. I think John’s starts over Billups. John’s will bring us experience and rebounding. He will force opposing D’s to chase our spacing. But Jackson is the better MI scoring threat.

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I think...

PG - Ace
G - Nunn
G/F - Watkins
C - DeLoach

...are the locks

Then that last spot likely depends on what direction they want to go. Do you go small and roll with Zeb? Do you go big and go Johns? Love the potential of so many other guys. Fats has a very smooth game and can do so many things, but he'll need time to adjust to the speed of DI college hoops. I heard of the freshman that Fats will likely have the most opportunities, but that the fans are going to love Fermin and Tobi because of what they bring (Fermin apparently personality and energy I've been told are "unmatched" and Tobi is a highlight machine).

Very curious to see what Kern and Banks do this year. Both have great size, know the system and can make plays, but had negative +/- numbers last year. I still feel great when either is on the floor though, so expect both to be better and could do some things. Would LOVE to see Banks breakout somehow because in an era of instant transfers, he has stuck it out despite limited opportunity. All in all though, lots of talent on this squad, just gotta put it together without Vince around to do whatever we needed him to do.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Yes it would fun. I think John’s starts over Billups. John’s will bring us experience and rebounding. He will force opposing D’s to chase our spacing. But Jackson is the better MI scoring threat.
You're probably right. MR tends to side with upperclassmen when there isn't a clear starter at a position.

Mistachill

Elite Member
I think...

PG - Ace
G - Nunn
G/F - Watkins
C - DeLoach

...are the locks

Then that last spot likely depends on what direction they want to go. Do you go small and roll with Zeb? Do you go big and go Johns? Love the potential of so many other guys. Fats has a very smooth game and can do so many things, but he'll need time to adjust to the speed of DI college hoops. I heard of the freshman that Fats will likely have the most opportunities, but that the fans are going to love Fermin and Tobi because of what they bring (Fermin apparently personality and energy I've been told are "unmatched" and Tobi is a highlight machine).

Very curious to see what Kern and Banks do this year. Both have great size, know the system and can make plays, but had negative +/- numbers last year. I still feel great when either is on the floor though, so expect both to be better and could do some things. Would LOVE to see Banks breakout somehow because in an era of instant transfers, he has stuck it out despite limited opportunity. All in all though, lots of talent on this squad, just gotta put it together without Vince around to do whatever we needed him to do.
I agree regarding Banks. I'm really hoping the coaching staff is seeing something in him in practice that is not evident in games yet. I would love to see him become this squad's version of Troy Daniels and break out strong junior and senior seasons. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more Malik Crowfield than Troy Daniels, but I hope I'm wrong.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
it seemed to me that Nunn feeds off Kern and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nick start at the three at times.

RonnieDobbs

Elite Member
I think...

PG - Ace
G - Nunn
G/F - Watkins
C - DeLoach

...are the locks

Man, this whole thread gets me pumped up, but this post in particular. So many possibilities.

VRam

Elite Member
So...Shriver playing almost twice as many minutes per game as Watkins in an inferior conference and averaging a whooping 3.5 more points per game makes him a "proven scorer?" Interesting.

Perhaps you want to amend your comment and you really meant to say proven "shooter?"
I've had him on ignore for years, but I had to peek to see what he was saying. I think the last time I read his stuff he wanted to start Djonkam over Tillman.lol

duncanlamb

Elite Member
I think...

PG - Ace
G - Nunn
G/F - Watkins
C - DeLoach

...are the locks

Johns didn't come here to be a reserve.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I don't think we recruit anyone who wants to be a reserve.
True, but this time DL may be onto something. Johns may be the best all-around basketball player on the team—he could be that guy, he just loved UM and unfortunately they’ve had a run of NBA starter caliber bigs come through the program while he was there. Many don’t realize that he should have started there last year on merits/talent alone…..but he played good soldier while they were developing a freshman deemed to have high level NBA talent (Diabate). Says a lot about his character and he has some nice NCAA tourney film out there.

Johns is a stud!

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Also of importance is who is on floor the last 4 minutes of the game because last season finishing games was a bugaboo. As VRam aptly pointed out every player wishes they could start and run out during intros. It is a team game so Johns will get his minutes if he shows he can produce.

Mistachill

Elite Member
True, but this time DL may be onto something. Johns may be the best all-around basketball player on the team—he could be that guy, he just loved UM and unfortunately they’ve had a run of NBA starter caliber bigs come through the program while he was there. Many don’t realize that he should have started there last year on merits/talent alone…..but he played good soldier while they were developing a freshman deemed to have high level NBA talent (Diabate). Says a lot about his character and he has some nice NCAA tourney film out there.

Johns is a stud!
Hope you're right but not to sound like a broken record, I'm gonna wait and see with Johns. The whole power conference transfer thing has had mixed results for us. Over the past 20 or so years we've had Skeen, Willie Taylor and Emanuel Mathis work out well. We've had Eric Davis, Toby Veal, Terrance Shannon, Jimmy Nichols, and Marcus Tsohonis not exactly work out (I'm on the fence with Wil Fameni).

I just have a hard time believing the numbers Johns posted over the past four years is primarily because of the players brought in who played in front of him. The highlight videos are encouraging, but you have four years of footage to pull from. I would hope you could splice together a good 10-15 minute highlight package out of four years of basketball. I could probably put together a nice video package of DJ Haley's three years here that would make DL salivate (lol).

If he is what he's advertised to be, he would definitely be what the doctor ordered. But I just keep looking at his four year numbers and it just doesn't add up.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Hope you're right but not to sound like a broken record, I'm gonna wait and see with Johns. The whole power conference transfer thing has had mixed results for us. Over the past 20 or so years we've had Skeen, Willie Taylor and Emanuel Mathis work out well. We've had Eric Davis, Toby Veal, Terrance Shannon, Jimmy Nichols, and Marcus Tsohonis not exactly work out (I'm on the fence with Wil Fameni).

I just have a hard time believing the numbers Johns posted over the past four years is primarily because of the players brought in who played in front of him. The highlight videos are encouraging, but you have four years of footage to pull from. I would hope you could splice together a good 10-15 minute highlight package out of four years of basketball. I could probably put together a nice video package of DJ Haley's three years here that would make DL salivate (lol).

If he is what he's advertised to be, he would definitely be what the doctor ordered. But I just keep looking at his four year numbers and it just doesn't add up.
I am sure you can do any film work you’d like. While you are at it, check out Johns‘ work in UM’s ’21 NCAA run and others. Also look at the guys he played with/behind….Livers, Wagner, Dickenson, Diabate. If he couldn’t play, Howard would have gotten rid of him, as he hasn’t been shy in moving guys along. He is a very nice player that can pass, shoot, defend, rebound and has played a good amount of quality minutes vs. top end talent over the past three years.

If you spend the time reviewing his film, looking past the fact they are highlights, you’ll see a pretty fluid big who is agile, runs pretty well and is strong—very different in overall game. UM fans will tell you he was among their best five this past year and it frustrated them to no end that Howard was playing Diabate over him.

Or, you can play pessimist or “realist“ as I’m sure you’ll correct me on, there is no cost or risk of disappointment by doing so. Either way, I’m sure we both want the same outcome—so I’ll stay bullish and you do your thing, I’m sure it is highly motivating to someone.

Last edited: