Starting Five

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I think early on we go small, especially in some of those home buy games where the opponents will probably lack size:

Ace
Nunn
Zeb
Watkins
DeLo

I think eventually that Johns may start.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I am sure you can do any film work you’d like. While you are at it, check out Johns‘ work in UM’s ’21 NCAA run and others. Also look at the guys he played with/behind….Livers, Wagner, Dickenson, Diabate. If he couldn’t play, Howard would have gotten rid of him, as he hasn’t been shy in moving guys along. He is a very nice player that can pass, shoot, defend, rebound and has played a good amount of quality minutes vs. top end talent over the past three years.

If you spend the time reviewing his film, looking past the fact they are highlights, you’ll see a pretty fluid big who is agile, runs pretty well and is strong—very different in overall game. UM fans will tell you he was among their best five this past year and it frustrated them to no end that Howard was playing Diabate over him.

Or, you can play pessimist or “realist“ as I’m sure you’ll correct me on, there is no cost or risk of disappointment by doing so. Either way, I’m sure we both want the same outcome—so I’ll stay bullish and you do your thing, I’m sure it is highly motivating to someone.

I see Ace starting with the rest of team paying their butts off for the starting positions and playing time on the floor. The coaches will make the right decisions. Lots of talent and potential.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
I am sure you can do any film work you’d like. While you are at it, check out Johns‘ work in UM’s ’21 NCAA run and others. Also look at the guys he played with/behind….Livers, Wagner, Dickenson, Diabate. If he couldn’t play, Howard would have gotten rid of him, as he hasn’t been shy in moving guys along. He is a very nice player that can pass, shoot, defend, rebound and has played a good amount of quality minutes vs. top end talent over the past three years.

If you spend the time reviewing his film, looking past the fact they are highlights, you’ll see a pretty fluid big who is agile, runs pretty well and is strong—very different in overall game. UM fans will tell you he was among their best five this past year and it frustrated them to no end that Howard was playing Diabate over him.

Or, you can play pessimist or “realist“ as I’m sure you’ll correct me on, there is no cost or risk of disappointment by doing so. Either way, I’m sure we both want the same outcome—so I’ll stay bullish and you do your thing, I’m sure it is highly motivating to someone.

Again, he will dominate the A10.

RAM_IT

Elite Member
I'm most curious about the point rotation if Ace and Nunn start together. Maybe Nunn gets replaced early then comes back to give Ace a rest?

I don't really see Zeb being the backup point.

Maybe JJ will play the Ben Simmons role as a 6'9 PG as he alluded to 😎

Mistachill

Elite Member

Not sure what "my thing" is? Just sharing my thoughts.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I agree regarding Banks. I'm really hoping the coaching staff is seeing something in him in practice that is not evident in games yet. I would love to see him become this squad's version of Troy Daniels and break out strong junior and senior seasons. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more Malik Crowfield than Troy Daniels, but I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think anyone is talking about Banks moving to point, which had a lot to do with holding Crowfield back.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I don't think anyone is talking about Banks moving to point, which had a lot to do with holding Crowfield back.
Banks has a long way to go to be compared to Crowfield, much less Troy. Seems like a great teammate and can stroke it, but has had a minimal impact on the floor to date.

Good teams need great team guys who can contribute in practice and are ready in a pinch….there is no harm in a player being good enough to compete with the front liners, but maybe not quite there as a key contributor. Not every recruit is going to be a heavy contributor in games, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t having a positive impact on the team.

Fantasy stat heads tend to miss the fact that it is a team game and great teams have stars, role players and guys that push the others in practice. Every D1 team athlete will tell you that often the guys at the end of the bench are more inspirational via their commitment than the so called stars.

Foster Loyer was that guy at Michigan State and is now an A10 stud.…so perhaps there are options if this year isn’t a break-out for Josh. I hope he breaks out, but this may be the toughest roster talent wise for him to standout. In any case, even if he turns out to be the eleventh or twelfth man, he’ll contribute to the success of the team and get a good education for himself.

Dalai Rama

Elite Member
Banks has a long way to go to be compared to Crowfield, much less Troy. Seems like a great teammate and can stroke it, but has had a minimal impact on the floor to date.

Good teams need great team guys who can contribute in practice and are ready in a pinch….there is no harm in a player being good enough to compete with the front liners, but maybe not quite there as a key contributor. Not every recruit is going to be a heavy contributor in games, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t having a positive impact on the team.

Fantasy stat heads tend to miss the fact that it is a team game and great teams have stars, role players and guys that push the others in practice. Every D1 team athlete will tell you that often the guys at the end of the bench are more inspirational via their commitment than the so called stars.

Foster Loyer was that guy at Michigan State and is now an A10 stud.…so perhaps there are options if this year isn’t a break-out for Josh. I hope he breaks out, but this may be the toughest roster talent wise for him to standout. In any case, even if he turns out to be the eleventh or twelfth man, he’ll contribute to the success of the team and get a good education for himself.
I very much agree with what you've expressed here. I am really pulling for Josh this year.