News Story about Franklin Street Gym and VCU Basketball: Worth subscribing to The Athletic for

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
I wish they'd book a few more events in the RC before they tear it down. Let the old girl have a proper sendoff. It wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing venue in the world, or Virginia, or that block of Leigh Street, but I have a lot of good memories there between VCU, the Renegades, the CAA/NCAA tournaments, the Women's Final Four, the VUU-VSU MLK games, the Richmond Speed and the never-ending cavalcade of indoor-football teams that followed, WWF, that time Nancy Kerrigan was part of some sort of Something on Ice tour shortly after the Olympics, and the concerts. It was a brown dump, but it was OUR dump. I hope we get to say goodbye to it before they flush it.
Well said!
And the Richmond Robins, several concerts (even though the sound sucked), Blue Man Group..

Renegade story-
Some guy was selling a single ticket ouside, asking face price so I said sure! Saw the seat and said holy cr@p, mind if I sit with you, random stranger? Right at center ice, penalty box side upstairs in that single row on the overhang.
Had a great time and anytime he or his buddy couldn’t make it, I had the option. Saw lots of hockey:)

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Well said!
And the Richmond Robins, several concerts (even though the sound sucked), Blue Man Group..

Renegade story-
Some guy was selling a single ticket ouside, asking face price so I said sure! Saw the seat and said holy cr@p, mind if I sit with you, random stranger? Right at center ice, penalty box side upstairs in that single row on the overhang.
Had a great time and anytime he or his buddy couldn’t make it, I had the option. Saw lots of hockey:)

Favorite Renegades memory was an Admirals game in 94 or 95. It was a sellout, as those games tended to be. Admirals were up a goal late, Renegades pulled the goalie, Admirals scored the empty netter to clinch the win ... oh, did I mention it was seat-cushion night? When nearly 10,000 seat cushions were distributed to fans? That's an important detail to explain why, seconds after the goal, the Coliseum air became choked with flying cushions from angry Renegades fans and the copycats who were all "well, when in Richmond ..." The ice was COVERED in them. Took forever to clean them out.

From that point forward, giveaways were distributed at the end of the night. The first game under the new policy was puck night, so good call there.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
U

UpTop Sub Shop was the best! Subs were awesome.
[/QUOT
I did up top but likes stuff ya
U

UpTop Sub Shop was the best! Subs were awesome.
i did up top but liked stuffy’s On Harrison. Underneath where edo’s Squid is now and behind where Village used to be.
The guy who seemed to be runnng it wasn’t white Afro but white curly; just trying to nail down timeframes

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Gonna take A/A up on the invitation to share a FSG story. Gonna take him up on it more once.

1. The chains on the doors for practice at least one year doing the JD Barnett years are true. I was on the inside of those doors and while there was incredible teaching and attention to detail going on, there was tension and explosion to levels you would not imagine.

2. FSG, the site where I played Moses Malone (R.I.P.) in a game of H.O.R.S.E.. Moses came by time to time in summers to play pick up ball. I was on a side basket shooting and had the only other good basketball in the gym so Moses came over and started shooting with me. Even though I had seen Moses play in the regionals held at VSU back in his senior year and knew he was skilled way beyond rebounding and laying it up- I still figured I could take him from the outside in shooting. Mose got 1st Shot and moved way out on the perimeter. Moses never missed a shot, I did... A story of beating Moses would be more fun, but the truth is he was cool in playing me and cool in totaling burning up the nets.

3. I was there in FSG pretty much every day during my 4 years and many days during summers for years after. The level of basketball was incredible during those days of summer with the legends such as Bernard Harris, Tom Motley, Jesse Dark coming in to play the Ben Wallace's, Mark West's, and the likes of every who's who from VCU basketball. On those days when the number of people in the gym was 9 1/2 I got a run and knew that my role was get in the way on defense and get out of the way on offense. I could look over and see laugher in the faces of FSG fixtures like Mr. McIntyre (Mr. Mc) before a 10th player arrived.

4. FSG, the original. The small old gym next door where you often were relegated to when you couldn't hang. FSG, The VENU where We listened to The Dads. FSG, the hot showers when we had none across the street so would run over in only a towel to take a shower. FSG, ... I am way over budget on my share.

FSG. A LEGEND.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Gonna take A/A up on the invitation to share a FSG story. Gonna take him up on it more once.

1. The chains on the doors for practice at least one year doing the JD Barnett years are true. I was on the inside of those doors and while there was incredible teaching and attention to detail going on, there was tension and explosion to levels you would not imagine.

2. FSG, the site where I played Moses Malone (R.I.P.) in a game of H.O.R.S.E.. Moses came by time to time in summers to play pick up ball. I was on a side basket shooting and had the only other good basketball in the gym so Moses came over and started shooting with me. Even though I had seen Moses play in the regionals held at VSU back in his senior year and knew he was skilled way beyond rebounding and laying it up- I still figured I could take him from the outside in shooting. Mose got 1st Shot and moved way out on the perimeter. Moses never missed a shot, I did... A story of beating Moses would be more fun, but the truth is he was cool in playing me and cool in totaling burning up the nets.

3. I was there in FSG pretty much every day during my 4 years and many days during summers for years after. The level of basketball was incredible during those days of summer with the legends such as Bernard Harris, Tom Motley, Jesse Dark coming in to play the Ben Wallace's, Mark West's, and the likes of every who's who from VCU basketball. On those days when the number of people in the gym was 9 1/2 I got a run and knew that my role was get in the way on defense and get out of the way on offense. I could look over and see laugher in the faces of FSG fixtures like Mr. McIntyre (Mr. Mc) before a 10th player arrived.

4. FSG, the original. The small old gym next door where you often were relegated to when you couldn't hang. FSG, The VENU where We listened to The Dads. FSG, the hot showers when we had none across the street so would run over in only a towel to take a shower. FSG, ... I am way over budget on my share.

FSG. A LEGEND.
That would be the same Moses Malone who took down my school west Springfield in the mid 70’s. Twice.
RIP MM.
/ Big Lew Djonkam was from WSHS so that was my vested interest.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

Steve Roadcap

Top Member
Oct 18, 2015
That would be the same Moses Malone who took down my school west Springfield in the mid 70’s. Twice.
RIP MM.
Moses Malone was often on campus and made regular appearances at the Chaukly House dorm where several VCU BB players resided, I always hoped (here I go pissing into the wind) that he would become a Ram. Oh well, a guy could wish....

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
RIP MM.
MM took everyone during HS.

Reactions: VCU74

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Favorite Renegades memory was an Admirals game in 94 or 95. It was a sellout, as those games tended to be. Admirals were up a goal late, Renegades pulled the goalie, Admirals scored the empty netter to clinch the win ... oh, did I mention it was seat-cushion night? When nearly 10,000 seat cushions were distributed to fans? That's an important detail to explain why, seconds after the goal, the Coliseum air became choked with flying cushions from angry Renegades fans and the copycats who were all "well, when in Richmond ..." The ice was COVERED in them. Took forever to clean them out.

From that point forward, giveaways were distributed at the end of the night. The first game under the new policy was puck night, so good call there.
Nothing better than beating the Admirals :) heckofa Coach...John Brophy was in the “Sit Down Gene!” Category for sure.

I have a signed Trevor Senn jersey from a Halloween game auction

• Love
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Phil Braswell

Top Member
Jun 24, 2015
When I was a student intramural director in 1970, I use to open the gym for the Squires opponents. I usually got to play HORSE with some of the players and sometimes play a one on one game. They were always good guys. The Intramural program used the big gym often for events. I will truly miss the Franklin Street Gym. Oh, I saw the Minnesota game. Great win! The officials used the Intermural office to dress. Some told me they would call games for the home team because they always wanted to have Coach Noe request them to come back. They liked the money! Somebody please save me a brick from the building. Oh, I also remember taking a class on the third floor when a professor asked me if I would please get a extra desk for the class. I looked for an opened classroom door when I came up on another class. I walked in and it was a art class painting a nude girl. I was shocked!!! I can remember being very selective, checking all the desks for just the right one. I hated to leave because I thought that class was a lot more interesting than the one I was taking.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
When I was a student intramural director in 1970, I use to open the gym for the Squires opponents. I usually got to play HORSE with some of the players and sometimes play a one on one game. They were always good guys. The Intramural program used the big gym often for events. I will truly miss the Franklin Street Gym. Oh, I saw the Minnesota game. Great win! The officials used the Intermural office to dress. Some told me they would call games for the home team because they always wanted to have Coach Noe request them to come back. They liked the money! Somebody please save me a brick from the building. Oh, I also remember taking a class on the third floor when a professor asked me if I would please get a extra desk for the class. I looked for an opened classroom door when I came up on another class. I walked in and it was a art class painting a nude girl. I was shocked!!! I can remember being very selective, checking all the desks for just the right one. I hated to leave because I thought that class was a lot more interesting than the one I was taking.
Selling bricks would actually be a great fundraising idea. I imagine the floors are long gone, but if not those too!

Phil Braswell

Top Member
Jun 24, 2015
I may be wrong but I dont think Creech ever played a game in the "new" FSG.
Creech never played in the FSG. I lived in the Chalkley House as a freshman in the first year of VCU (1968). I saw our first home game and Creech had already completed his career playing for RPI. I even went to a RPI game some time between 1962-64. My brother was an accounting major then.