News Story about Franklin Street Gym and VCU Basketball: Worth subscribing to The Athletic for

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Creech never played in the FSG. I lived in the Chalkley House as a freshman in the first year of VCU (1968). I saw our first home game and Creech had already completed his career playing for RPI. I even went to a RPI game some time between 1962-64. My brother was an accounting major then.
I personally witnessed Len playing in the “old” FSG. Where else would he have played?

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Creech never played in the FSG. I lived in the Chalkley House as a freshman in the first year of VCU (1968). I saw our first home game and Creech had already completed his career playing for RPI. I even went to a RPI game some time between 1962-64. My brother was an accounting major then.
They played in the old FSG in 68`69 while the new side was under construction. 69-70 was the first year we played in the new gym and Creech was gone along with several others, Allen, Herndon, Lawson, etc.
His last year would have been 67-68.
I believe Creech sat out the 67-68 and returned for 68-69.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
My fav game is actually one of the few loses VCU ever had at the FSG. The games started at 8:00 pm back then. They were playing VUU so I got there at 6:30 pm. I got the last SRO tix. The big stud for VUU that year was Mike Davis. He scored 64 points on VCU. I had never seen anything like that in person.

Reactions: VCUBeatsduke

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
Spent many a Friday night at the Midnight madness parties. Our frat house was right across the street, so it was a short walk from from hither to thither, and back to hither with a "new friend".
Best memory is a party the boys from 818 threw in the gym. The rest of Richmond canceled activities because of massive snowstorm. Our party went on as scheduled. Hadn't thought of that one in a while.

May 27, 2016
Hello there fellow Rams, I'm a real 'old timer, having arrived in Richmond in the middle of May, 1967. I was visiting a friend of mine who told me I might be able to work out with the RPI team, with the hope of actually joining the team in the Fall. I had left Newberry College, after playing there for 2 years. Shortly after I got to Richmond, I worked out with Len Creech, Bob Alford, Ron Woody and another transfer, Don Ross and the games were intense and very phyical !! So it occurs to me that Len did play in the old FSG...I attended Summer school for the next two months and continued to work out. I got a chance to talk to Buck Jones (and Benny Dees, I think...) who told me they might be able to use my 'skills' on the team. They advised me I would have to work out during the first half of the year, since I (along with Don Ross...) would be ineligible for the first half year. So rather than sit on the bench and watch the guys play, I decided to volunteer to be the announcer for our home games. As I recall we didn't win that many games at home, but we did better when Don started playing. Just because I'm old and didn't save any info from the games I played in, I think the school paper reported thatRon Woody and I helped defeat Randolph Macon College in our final game that year. Interesting fact---my son, Matt, went to RMC and was a D3 All American in 1999. Regretably two of the great guys that Benny Dees brought with him from Georgia, Denis Logan and Keith Lawson are no longer with us, but I have also heard that Don Ross has returned to Richmond. That young man could really shoot and pass the rock. Glad to hear Coach Rhoades has gotten and extension--another great young man. He coached my son, Matt, at RMC and did well there so I was't surprised at what he had done at VCU. Hope to see some of you at games this upcoming season. Maybe we ought to see how many former players we could get together for drinks before a game this season...Just a thought...Thanks

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Hello there fellow Rams, I'm a real 'old timer, having arrived in Richmond in the middle of May, 1967. I was visiting a friend of mine who told me I might be able to work out with the RPI team, with the hope of actually joining the team in the Fall. I had left Newberry College, after playing there for 2 years. Shortly after I got to Richmond, I worked out with Len Creech, Bob Alford, Ron Woody and another transfer, Don Ross and the games were intense and very phyical !! So it occurs to me that Len did play in the old FSG...I attended Summer school for the next two months and continued to work out. I got a chance to talk to Buck Jones (and Benny Dees, I think...) who told me they might be able to use my 'skills' on the team. They advised me I would have to work out during the first half of the year, since I (along with Don Ross...) would be ineligible for the first half year. So rather than sit on the bench and watch the guys play, I decided to volunteer to be the announcer for our home games. As I recall we didn't win that many games at home, but we did better when Don started playing. Just because I'm old and didn't save any info from the games I played in, I think the school paper reported thatRon Woody and I helped defeat Randolph Macon College in our final game that year. Interesting fact---my son, Matt, went to RMC and was a D3 All American in 1999. Regretably two of the great guys that Benny Dees brought with him from Georgia, Denis Logan and Keith Lawson are no longer with us, but I have also heard that Don Ross has returned to Richmond. That young man could really shoot and pass the rock. Glad to hear Coach Rhoades has gotten and extension--another great young man. He coached my son, Matt, at RMC and did well there so I was't surprised at what he had done at VCU. Hope to see some of you at games this upcoming season. Maybe we ought to see how many former players we could get together for drinks before a game this season...Just a thought...Thanks
VCU has a digital library. I searched Ron Woody's name and these two box scores popped up.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Here is an article after Creech broke the 2,000 point mark. Jabo Wilkins had 29 pts.

JDI

Apr 20, 2009
Here is an article after Creech broke the 2,000 point mark. Jabo Wilkins had 29 pts.
This answers the questions of did Creech play in the "new" FSG and did he sit out a year. He sat out the 67-68 season for academics which made 68-69 his senior season.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
This answers the questions of did Creech play in the "new" FSG and did he sit out a year. He sat out the 67-68 season for academics which made 68-69 his senior season.
Those VCU digital archives are great. You can search anything.