Supreme Court Decision on College Athlete compensation

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
uugh. couldn't leave this thread unread no matter how hard I tried. now back to the other threads...

Feb 14, 2011
Was talking about with the wife. An LSU women’s gymnast will probably make a million dollars this year. The kids who who come out the best may not be the most notable players. A role player off the bench for the Rams could really cash in, and then he star may not do nearly as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/lsu-gymnast-olivia-dunne-could-become-first-million-dollar-college-athlete-new-nil-1606213?amp=1
This post made me think of Doug Brooks, that guy could sell snow cones to Eskimos. If he were still a Student/Athlete imagine the bank he could be making.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
I think any negative financial damage to VCU will be minimal with very, very few players at the mid major level making a few thousand $$. I think you will see players sporting free merch, driving demo auto's from local car dealers and getting free meals and drinks at local establishments (if that will be allowed). But a mid major player getting a company to hand them a check? Ask anyone in VCU development (who has been trying for a few years to sell naming rights to the court for about $150k per year) how hard it is to get money from the local business community.
Are you saying I could name the arena for 150k?

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Are you saying I could name the arena for 150k?
I think that is about what EJ Wade was paying annually approximately for the rights. Now there are ticket costs and other advertising they paid for that raised there total spend. But If I am not mistaken, it was in that area of $$. For a market the size of Richmond and a program like VCU, we should not be struggling to get a naming sponsor.

Dec 16, 2013
gonna get ugly for a few years until Presidents of colleges and universities figure out the next steps ( just think NCAA will be enforcing such trivial rules on recruiting like a coach contacting prospects during dead periods contrast that with star players at major schools will be earning 6 and 7 figures in endorsement deals and that is perfectly legal)
anyone got a link to the rules around NIL - I would love to read

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
The concept of tying sports... especially popular/revenue sports... to educational institutions, isn't an eternal or inevitable thing. Collegiate sports didn't really become publicly popular until about 100 years ago. We're used to it being how it is because it's what we've experienced, and even heard about from our recent ancestors... but it can come to an end. It can become something else.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
gonna get ugly for a few years until Presidents of colleges and universities figure out the next steps ( just think NCAA will be enforcing such trivial rules on recruiting like a coach contacting prospects during dead periods contrast that with star players at major schools will be earning 6 and 7 figures in endorsement deals and that is perfectly legal)
I don’t see any next steps for the Presidents. If it’s legal under federal/state laws and it’s not against NCAA rules, then there’s no reason to limit what athletes can make anymore than any other student on campus.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
if I’m his left tackle...he better pony up

Reactions: share the ball
Dec 16, 2013
I don’t see any next steps for the Presidents. If it’s legal under federal/state laws and it’s not against NCAA rules, then there’s no reason to limit what athletes can make anymore than any other student on campus.
I said Presidents because Presidents and member institutions are the NCAA . They appoint NCAA leader and member institutions populate all the committees that lead to rule changes. Yeah it is a slow and laborious process for rule change too.
19 members of the NCAA Board of Governors are university/college representatives - most are presidents or chancellors and those that are not are likely from nominations from theie president - In contrast there are only a few (3 -5) outside Board of Governors like Grant Hill and former sec of defense robert gates
I understand your point that it is legal - I am just uncomfortable that the compensation is not going to be linked to any real relationship to the value of the advertising/work the athlete provides vis a vis an athlete doing the same thing at a university without boosters/supporters with deep pockets

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I said Presidents because Presidents and member institutions are the NCAA . They appoint NCAA leader and member institutions populate all the committees that lead to rule changes. Yeah it is a slow and laborious process for rule change too.
19 members of the NCAA Board of Governors are university/college representatives - most are presidents or chancellors and those that are not are likely from nominations from theie president - In contrast there are only a few (3 -5) outside Board of Governors like Grant Hill and former sec of defense robert gates
I understand your point that it is legal - I am just uncomfortable that the compensation is not going to be linked to any real relationship to the value of the advertising/work the athlete provides vis a vis an athlete doing the same thing at a university without boosters/supporters with deep pockets
They can’t make rules that courts will overturn. And the courts could make it much worse for the NCAA than they have so far.