Supreme Court Decision on College Athlete compensation

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
4 super conferences of 16. Book it. Gonna take a Presidential and public decision to change it now.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider

I’ve been thinking about this ever since the NIL bill came out,’’ Lands told the Syracuse Post-Standard. “I haven’t had the opportunity to be recruited in that way.’’

So a 4* recruit decommits from Sysracuse because he's looking for a school with a better NIL deal. Maybe VCU does have an advantage in this area regarding furure recruits?

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Ultimately, the winners will be from Blue Blood schools with very affluent alums that are willing to throw money around as though it's confetti in a ticker tape parade. that is not VCU nor program in the A10. UR will beat VCU in this area. UVA will do well, but will have to compete with the likes of Duke, UNC... Yes our Brand Center can help, but only to the extent that it can entice donors and sponsors (who are already get squeezed by VCU for tickets, premium seats and ammenities/ access).

VCU Heel

Elite Member
It depends on the donors actually wanting to spend their money on this type of thing. Harvard has 188 billionaire alumni (and that doesn’t even include some of the richest people from there that never finished school) and their richest 14,000 alumni are worth a combined almost $5 trillion. If they wanted to have the 13 best players in the country on scholarship, then they could probably make that happen. But I don’t see that being something they would do there. Most of the Ivy League is in the top 20 for most wealthy alumni, but I don’t see the Ivy League becoming the premier basketball or football conference in the country.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
It depends on the donors actually wanting to spend their money on this type of thing. Harvard has 188 billionaire alumni (and that doesn’t even include some of the richest people from there that never finished school) and their richest 14,000 alumni are worth a combined almost $5 trillion. If they wanted to have the 13 best players in the country on scholarship, then they could probably make that happen. But I don’t see that being something they would do there. Most of the Ivy League is in the top 20 for most wealthy alumni, but I don’t see the Ivy League becoming the premier basketball or football conference in the country.
Most likely correct. But it takes one eccentric multi-billionaire with something to prove to change that.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Most likely correct. But it takes one eccentric multi-billionaire with something to prove to change that.
It also takes the university and the athletic department agreeing to allow that eccentric multi-billionaire to do it. Some schools will have varying opinions on all of this. While football/basketball money is pretty big, it pales in comparison to the money these schools bring in each year from donations and research grants.

Ramdog

Elite Member
It will be the school's that have a history of success and also have donors with large amounts of disposable income.
Donors that are used to winning and now will want to win at all costs.
The Dukes of the basketball world are the programs that will benefit the most.
Some Miami booster gave every single player ..even the back up punter...6k..that is nothing more than paying the players...it has nothing to do with NIL. Except now the system allows it

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
if this were true, Oklahoma State would be top 5 in all sports. They are not, but it’s not because T Boone wasn’t willing to go all in.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
if this were true, Oklahoma State would be top 5 in all sports. They are not, but it’s not because T Boone wasn’t willing to go all in.
It’s also because T Boone is dead.

And as rich as he was, he wasn’t remotely on the level of the many super rich donors.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
Past performance is not indicative of future results. Nothing about how big money donors influenced college sports in the past has any relevance here. We are in the brave new world

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Boone wasn't off keeled or eccentric. He was a very wise and prudent man. He loved his school, but I think he would have stopped short of gaming the system and would have found better uses for his money. I am thinking more along the lines of what we are seeeing with the "space race" b/w Musk, Branson and Bezos. Those guys are far more interested in pissing away billions to beat each other than making any real progress in space or getting a sound return on investment.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Boone wasn't off keeled or eccentric. He was a very wise and prudent man. He loved his school, but I think he would have stopped short of gaming the system and would have found better uses for his money. I am thinking more along the lines of what we are seeeing with the "space race" b/w Musk, Branson and Bezos. Those guys are far more interested in beating each other than making any real progress in space or getting a sound return on investment.
There is no space race between those 3. SpaceX is a real space company. The other two aren’t even close to orbital flights. They’re novelty companies by comparison.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
There is no space race between those 3. SpaceX is a real space company. The other two aren’t even close to orbital flights. They’re novelty companies by comparison.
And IBM shouldn't have worried about Apple or Microsoft in the 80s. If I would bet against any of those men it would be against Musk. He is his own worst enemy.