Recruiting Survey: Would the 10-11 Final Four Team won the NC if Larry Sanders Stayed?

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
We would have been seeded higher. I dont kmow if we would had the focus or motivation to make that tournament run.

Bonus: How would the FF team matched up against last year's Obi Toppin Team?

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I'll try to find the interview at some point but Larry himself said they probably would not have made it if he had stayed

I'll try to find the interview at some point but Larry himself said they probably would not have made it if he had stayed
You are correct. He said something along the lines of he "was holding the team back."

My observation was that he went what I would call soft. He knew he was going to go to the NBA and stayed away from the physical stuff, avoiding contact. I get it. Why risk getting an injury and ruin an opportunity? Made sense for him personally, but when you're a mid-major making a F4 run, you need all hands on deck giving 100%, not somebody protecting their NBA body/career.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
NO!

Larry Sanders would not have been good for team chemistry on that 2010-11 team. He was not the "team player' poster child his junior season before he left the program. He, by far, lead the team in fouls his last season at VCU, including a few technicals. There were also some off the court issues that year.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Just imagine if we had won the CAA tournament instead of losing in overtime to odu. Maybe that bumps us up a couple of seed lines and we end up as a nine-seed playing Butler in the first round. Maybe we lose a close game to a last second tip in and the whole run never happens. I wouldn't change anything about that season.