Team Ramnation (TBT 2019)

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Great game...Gibbs on the OSU alumni team was fun to watch...6'2", 245 lbs, and plays small fwd (maybe XS?). Bucking stereotypes.

Reactions: SpiderRAM
May 15, 2014
It was great game, really strong defensive effort from both teams and that Gibbs was a beast down low. But really, how do you guys feel about the Elam ending falling on freethrows? There are arguments for and against obviously, but as far as ending on a made shot... I think it was kinda lame

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
It was great game, really strong defensive effort from both teams and that Gibbs was a beast down low. But really, how do you guys feel about the Elam ending falling on freethrows? There are arguments for and against obviously, but as far as ending on a made shot... I think it was kinda lame
Honestly to me.... I'm totally against this Elam Ending nonsense... have been since it was started. For a couple of Reasons.

1. There are some games where the Elam Ending just simply is not needed. Case & point... Overseas Elite against HillTop Dawgs, when OSE was up by A LOT; only reason Hill Top Dawgs score 70 some points and only lost by about 30... is because OSE let them. Otherwise, HillTop Dawgs woulda lost by 50 or more & prob not have even hit 50 points.

But there was no rule put in place that if a certain team was down by "X" number at points... that the Elam Ending would not be used.... or that the game would just end right then and there. Because in that situation, it woulda taken much longer than 4 minutes for HillTop Dawgs to catch up to OSE... so by the end of the regular 4 minutes (if you play it out with no Elam Ending)… they still woulda been down by at least 20+.

2. The whole purpose of the Elam Ending in theory was to get rid of the intentional fouling at the end of games, prolonging it. Yet you have games ending on FT's... granted, most of which are not intentional fouls... but it still takes a lot of the buzz & excitement out of the game, ending it on a FT.

Also, especially this year (in the 2nd year of this dumb Elam Ending)… commentators kept mentioning that everyone who's ever played pick up basketball has played with the Elam Ending.... The difference is, when people are outside or in the gym playing pickup basketball.... there's a set score (Usually 21) from the start of the game, and usually you have to win by 2. Also in most pick up basketball games, you don't shoot Free Throws. If you get fouled, you just take the ball up at the top of the key & start over.

In pick up basketball, you don't play quarters or halves, there's no clock whatsoever... so if it takes you 4 hours to play a game of 21... it takes you 4 hours. If it takes you 20 minutes... it takes you 20 minutes.

Look at the BIG 3 tournament.... they have set guidelines that they use for the entire game.
1. Once a team reaches 25 points... it's halftime.
2. In order to win, a Team must score 50 points & be ahead by 2.
3. The only kind of clock that BIG3 uses is a 14 second shot clock.

And it's like that from the start of the game. None of this nonsense where.... "Oh let's play 9 minute quarters for the first 3 quarters, and start of the 4th..... and now instead of making everyone play the clock... now we are going to invoke a target score."

No other league on any level that I know of does this. FIBA, 3x3, the Olympics, the NBA, NCAA, High School, rec league.... none of them do it.

So to me, TBT, you need to make up your mind... do you wanna be like the Big 3, 3x3 and have Target scores... or do you wanna just play like every other league and either play halves or quarters? Stop trying to mix the 2.

Reactions: pumraWr

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I like the Elam ending overall and I think it works well for the TBT. Having it end on free throws takes some of the excitement away, but that is going to happen sometimes. It can happen in any format.

Reactions: pumraWr

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I like the Elam ending overall and I think it works well for the TBT. Having it end on free throws takes some of the excitement away, but that is going to happen sometimes. It can happen in any format.
Yes but also think about some of the buzzer beaters that have happened in close games over the years. Remember when Butler almost hit that prayer to beat Duke in the Nat'l Champ. game? Remember when Sherrod Wright drained a shot from well beyond Half Court to beat us? You won't get crazy ridiculous things like that with the Elam Ending.... shots that people would be talking about for weeks or months, whether they hit or they miss.... depending on which side of the situation they are on.

Remember when Treveon hit that shot against UVA? Or Maynor's Dagger against duke? If you're using the Elam Ending... those shots could be the official end of the game possibly... but I bet you there wouldn't be the dramatics, nor would the players be going as fast as they were in those situations because there's no game clock.... it's simply just playing to a set score. Also, while Tre & Eric's shot's were obviously huge shots.... imagine how UVA & Duke woulda felt if they had managed to score the game winning bucket with 2 secs or whatever was left on the clock?

Also, personally I love watching overtime games against 2 really good teams.... prime example would be Syracuse & UConn. That was a great game to watch against 2 evenly matched teams.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Yes but also think about some of the buzzer beaters that have happened in close games over the years. Remember when Butler almost hit that prayer to beat Duke in the Nat'l Champ. game? Remember when Sherrod Wright drained a shot from well beyond Half Court to beat us? You won't get crazy ridiculous things like that with the Elam Ending.... shots that people would be talking about for weeks or months, whether they hit or they miss.... depending on which side of the situation they are on.

Remember when Treveon hit that shot against UVA? Or Maynor's Dagger against duke? If you're using the Elam Ending... those shots could be the official end of the game possibly... but I bet you there wouldn't be the dramatics, nor would the players be going as fast as they were in those situations because there's no game clock.... it's simply just playing to a set score. Also, while Tre & Eric's shot's were obviously huge shots.... imagine how UVA & Duke woulda felt if they had managed to score the game winning bucket with 2 secs or whatever was left on the clock?

Also, personally I love watching overtime games against 2 really good teams.... prime example would be Syracuse & UConn. That was a great game to watch against 2 evenly matched teams.
The Elam Ending trades the buzzer-beater for a walk-off finish. If the target score is 85 and Team A is winning 84-83 with Team B having the ball, you bet your bottom dollar it's going to be a great finish even without a clock. I think we're conditioned to love the buzzer-beater and I do as well, but it's not like you're devoid of drama by playing to a target score, it's just formatted differently.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
May 15, 2014
Yeah everybody has a point here. Games can come down to some exciting drives towards the "end", thinking of one Melvin game winner last year but it is fun playing the clock sometimes. I like the added pressure of the game clock winding down into winning time. The Big 3 format would be fun maybe but then it's just a longer game of pick up - to 100 maybe

The announcers say it speeds up the game, A) I enjoy watching basketball so... more time is good time B) all the posturing that would happen in the last 4 minutes ends up happening in the 4 minutes leading up to the last 4 minutes and C) it was fun and it brought attention to the tournament and the guy has a cool Elam name but we all know what can be done with 0.4

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienAiden

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009

Did you not see the end of 3 headed monster game? A step back 4?

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
here here. I think this ending is one of the worst. Just like the Big 3 play to 50. I cants stand the thought of having a gamewinning freethrow on an iffy call far away from the basket when someone is leisurely dribbling since they know they can win.
Most close college games essentially end with game winning free throws. If you go to the line with 2 seconds left in a 2 point game you are shooting game winning free throws.

Nov 10, 2012
For the TBT, the Elam ending is fine but I do not want to see it any other level of basketball.

Reactions: SpiderRAM