That stats/coaching choice that has puzzled me the most this year

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
I've wondered this all season and 28 games deep (and 9th in the A-10...oof), I suppose this is just how it's gonna be, but I gotta talk about it...

Tonight we played a 4 man a TEAM-HIGH/GAME-HIGH 37 minutes. That player ranks ninth on the team in box +/- and 11th in player efficiency ranking. Ranks eighth on the team in total rebound percentage, is 11th in blocks %, ranks last among scholarship players (that's 13th overall) in points per 40 minutes in conference and 11th in true shooting percentage.

I just can't understand how our coaches can look at the numbers, see our record and say, "yeah...this is the way to go". That gives me longterm concerns. It's just depressing to me.

Why are we doing this? Please text me the answer or DM me. Please tell me the stats and eye test that I'm just not seeing somehow. This has felt like a self-inflicted wound for quite a while. It's obviously not the only reason we're struggling, but a huge one. And those types of mistakes are a killer in a close loss against what was the 187th-ranked team in the country coming into tonight's contest.

Coach Rhoades talked about turnovers in the past and about valuing the ball, the ball is the program, that kinda thing. Well I'm of the opinion that the roster is the program as well and that we need to value the minutes we hand out. Those minutes are the program.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I've wondered this all season and 28 games deep (and 9th in the A-10...oof), I suppose this is just how it's gonna be, but I gotta talk about it...

Tonight we played a 4 man a TEAM-HIGH/GAME-HIGH 37 minutes. That player ranks ninth on the team in box +/- and 11th in player efficiency ranking. Ranks eighth on the team in total rebound percentage, is 11th in blocks %, ranks last among scholarship players (that's 13th overall) in points per 40 minutes in conference and 11th in true shooting percentage.

I just can't understand how our coaches can look at the numbers, see our record and say, "yeah...this is the way to go". That gives me longterm concerns. It's just depressing to me.

Why are we doing this? Please text me the answer or DM me. Please tell me the stats and eye test that I'm just not seeing somehow. This has felt like a self-inflicted wound for quite a while. It's obviously not the only reason we're struggling, but a huge one. And those types of mistakes are a killer in a close loss against what was the 187th-ranked team in the country coming into tonight's contest.

Coach Rhoades talked about turnovers in the past and about valuing the ball, the ball is the program, that kinda thing. Well I'm of the opinion that the roster is the program as well and that we need to value the minutes we hand out. Those minutes are the program.
Kind of like my question to you earlier. How can the stats be staring the staff right in the face, yet they ignore them? Coach said he’s sticking with the seniors. I think that’s great; support them as young men and in their lives. But he’s being paid to win basketball games. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t use every trick and tool he could to realize that goal, including using stats to help figure out who to play.

RAM_IT

Top Member
Aug 19, 2013
I'm just a casual know nothing fan but feel most any other team would roll with Ward at the 5 spot or Corey when healthy and get lots of affected shots, rebounds and maybe 4-6 points a game (but on 50% shooting) Then Marcus would be a monster at the 4 spot.

Not fair to this guy to have to play at the 4 spot either so much.

Reactions: RamStrut
Nov 20, 2009
One of the first stats I look at is minutes played.

I was extremely surprised at those stats in last nights game.

I'm not going to look back and over analyze, but, I recall, Smart went to a shorter and shorter bench depending on the quality and importance of the game.

I think, this is the first time Rhoades went with a short bench. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But, having a deep bench is a weapon. A very good weapon.

game over.

NEXT!!

Reactions: mrgeode
Jul 27, 2017
Rhoades has no idea who to play or the best style of play to win games. Not saying I know either but for $1.5m and being three years in he should be able to figure this out.

He seems like a good CEO of the program but I do not think we ever have a tactical advantage in any conference games. Have to depend on superior talent. May work in the future but not working this year.

Apr 19, 2009
Rhoades has no idea who to play or the best style of play to win games. Not saying I know either but for $1.5m and being three years in he should be able to figure this out.

He seems like a good CEO of the program but I do not think we ever have a tactical advantage in any conference games. Have to depend on superior talent. May work in the future but not working this year.
Rhoades has had zero success as a D1coach without Marcus Evans carrying him. It happened at Rice, they were crap until Evans took over his sophomore year and it has happened here. I'm hopeful that he will prove himself starting next year, but losing faith every game.

Reactions: wavevcu

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Rhoades has had zero success as a D1coach without Marcus Evans carrying him. It happened at Rice, they were crap until Evans took over his sophomore year and it has happened here. I'm hopeful that he will prove himself starting next year, but losing faith every game.
Egor Kolechov averaged 18 points a game at Rice, good for second highest in CUSA, and grad transferred to Florida when we hired Mike. He put up 13 and 6 in the SEC and his team came within a basket of the Sweet Sixteen. He now gets paid to play in Israel.

Beyond that, a healthy or even mostly healthy Evans is a game changing player, despite his faults. Who recruited both?

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
This I dont understand. Say you are sticking with seniors but then bench the senior who is the second best outside shooter on the team. I would much rather crow be out there shooting those 4 3's than Simms.
The problem is Crow can't make a layup. Mike'l is in a shooting slump but he seem to go harder than Crow. I get it, I dont want Mike'L to shoot any more 3's either but hey if teams know all they need to do is force Crow inside the 3 point line, he in effect is useless.

Fwiw, I'd like to see us set screens for guys like Crow, DJ, and Bones. They all seem to only shoot when wide open. If the defender is on them then they really aren't an option.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I'm just a casual know nothing fan but feel most any other team would roll with Ward at the 5 spot or Corey when healthy and get lots of affected shots, rebounds and maybe 4-6 points a game (but on 50% shooting) Then Marcus would be a monster at the 4 spot.

Not fair to this guy to have to play at the 4 spot either so much.
If you play Ward at the 5 spot and MSS at the 4 spot, who is going to back them up? Douglas is out indefinitely and Williams is also out. Three of the top 6 players on this team did not dress last night. This team does not have an abundance of big guys.

I was one of the first to say it this year and I am sticking to my statement. Vann should have been benched a long, long time ago. Last year posters were saying this team went how Vann went. This year really proves that point. Coach Rhoades is really losing me by the way he kisses the seniors' feet on this team. He has lost this team in a big way. This season CAN'T end soon enough.

Unless VCU wins the lottery by winning the A-10 Tournament, this will be the second out of three years that a Coach Rhoades VCU team has not made the NCAA's. What's even worse is this team is very close to not making the NIT in both of those years. This year is definitely on Coach Rhoades and staff. You're talking 20+ years since the last time VCU lost 6 out of 7 games. It was the 1997-98 season, which was Sonny Smith's last season, and a low point in the program's history. There needs to be change within the coaching staff during the off-season, or Coach Rhoades is going to find himself on the hot seat. If he is as loyal to the coaching staff as he is to this senior group, then this program is in deep trouble.