The “What if” Thread

I know I know I know what’s in the past is done. BUT are there any moments you think about as far as if they went different for VCU? Maybe a certain game, moment in a game, certain player, coach, etc? Maybe even another VCU program besides basketball?

Off the top of my head

-VCU soccer in 2004- The campus had soccer fever and were keeping updates on the games in the NCAAs all the way to the quarters. If they had won the title I feel there would have been a big following going forward at VCU.

What if Tates Locke hadn't resigned as Jacksonville coach following 80-81 season?
Locke had signed Calvin Duncan out of Oak Hill Academy ... but that all changed when Locke resigned, much to the surprise of many, and Duncan re-opened his recruitment .... he enrolled at VCU instead and coach Barnett's Rams rolled to a 90-30 record, with three NCAAs, over next four seasons.

Sethjax

Elite Member
What if Bones had come back for one more
What if Briante doesn’t tear his ACL
What if Shaka doesn’t leave and Murphy Mack Larrier KennyWilliams all stay
What if we didn’t play Butler in the final 4 and another P5 instead
What if Will Wade actually ran more than one mile per day
What if Ed lost all his hair overnight
What if ODU was still good
What if

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
What if Bones had come back for one more
What if Briante doesn’t tear his ACL
What if Shaka doesn’t leave and Murphy Mack Larrier KennyWilliams all stay
What if we didn’t play Butler in the final 4 and another P5 instead
What if Will Wade actually ran more than one mile per day
What if Ed lost all his hair overnight
What if ODU was still good
What if
What if Rhoades would just listen to this board in recruiting, player substitutions, calling timeouts, and basically every aspect of his job.

rampart

Elite Member
What if Nolan Richardson hadn't gotten the Tulsa coaching job in 1981 and Former Milwaukee Bucks star Paul Pressey had returned to Richmond to play for VCU

What if Moses Malone chose VCU over the ABA,......

Just talked to Reggie Cain Saturday. Coincidentally, the former Ram (70-75) guard from New York spoke of Malone and how he was seriously considering VCU and coach Noe. Of course Malone signed with Maryland before changing his mind and going to the ABA Utah Stars. In in those days, "one and dones" were rare, so VCU could have had him four years. The subject of Malone came up because of the recent death of Carl Peal, who coached Malone at Petersburg. Some may be unaware that Malone's first cousin and best friend, 6-7 Morris Fultz, played for VCU (a little bit) in 74-76. Morris was one year older than Moses.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Hey @N Mollen , what if Calvin Duncan had elected to play for the Chicago bulls behind Jordan instead of electing to play for Athletes I'm Action? 🤔

For those don't remember, Calvin was the 2nd highest rates SG behind Joe Dumars in the '85 NBA draft.

Calvin was the 30th overall pick by Cleveland in '85 ... he did not make the NBA team's roster .... instead he played for two teams in the Continental league (similar to G League now) before hooking up with AIA. In that same '85 draft, Rolando went in third round (64th) by Detroit and Mike Schelgel 96th (fifth round) by his hometown Knicks. Rams have been playing good basketball for a long time.