18. Auburn
19. X
20. St Mary’s
21. Memphis
22. Purdue
23. Tenn
24. Ohio St
25.VCU
I could TOTALLY live with that to start the season. The A10 definitely looks to not be so disappointing this year, at least at the top. The bottom feeding dumpster fires will remain.

Reactions: mrgeode

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The Way Too Early ESPN Top 25 has us at 28....

I am keeping track of all this. Not that VCU is snubbed but there is some material out there that will motivate the team. They are in the mindset of winning the conference regular season and tournament. Marcus Evans alluded to it among other season goals in his interview with MattRock. So far Blue Ribbon, ESPN, Lindy's and NCAA MarchMadness all have Davidson winning the league. Athlon did not have Marus Evans on their first or second all-A10 teams. There is definitely some motivational material out there for a team that is being lauded by pretty much everyone.

PhantomRam

Top Member
Apr 30, 2009
I keep hearing about bulletin board material and "getting our guys fired up"....... If you are a 18-22/yo collage kid should you really need this in order to want to compete at your best? I would question someone who told me theu get fired up over what some goofy media person says. I am sure the teams current motivation is not ahhhh gee, hope we finish second.

EDIT: 33% of the teams that finished in the top 25 were not in the preseason poll, including Texas Tech.

Preseason Final
WVU Texas Tech
Syracuse Houston
Mississippi St LSU
UCLA Buffalo
TCU Wofford
Clemson Maryland
Washington Wisconsin
Nebraska Iowa St

All the preseason teams that did not finish in the top 25 were 13 or below..... tells me that ranking anything below the top 10 is a bit arduous .

So, what am I rambling about.... I don't know.... but it's nice to be mentioned, but a ton of games to go. Will be an exciting season and I am sure the first loss by our Rams will be met with much consternation and finger biting and coach smashing on these boards. I for one, can't wait for it all begin.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I think we’re a better overall squad than Davidson, much like we were last season.

Much respect for Davidson, though. Unlike George Mason, they’ve been a fantastic addition to the conference.
Should've swept them last year. Doing so would be a good goal this year. Maybe a bullet point on winning the conference.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I keep hearing about bulletin board material and "getting our guys fired up"....... If you are a 18-22/yo collage kid should you really need this in order to want to compete at your best? I would question someone who told me theu get fired up over what some goofy media person says. I am sure the teams current motivation is not ahhhh gee, hope we finish second.
They don't need any. Lots of times fans like me overstate things although it is out there as public knowledge that they do use this stuff as motivation. Being picked 7th last season is still being mentioned by players and coaches. They do pay attention. Did you listen to Marcus Evans' interview? He mentioned lots of instances of snubs. For example, Issac Vann wanting to prove to the A10 that he is the best defender because he did not make the all-defensive team last season. Jenkins wanting to prove that he is an elite player in his senior season. Lots more. They are motivated and you can bet the motivation does not all come from perceived snubs. They have their own goals and want to win every game.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017
Besides the big three and URI, St Bona, Duquesne, St Louis and Richmond all have the mindset of winning the conference. And if things break their way, all have at least some chance of doing so. The talent level at all 8 of those schools is considerable, and all of them, except St Louis, should be markedly better than last year. The coaching at two of those schools gives them a significant advantage, and at two of them a significant disadvantage. There are a ton of really good players, especially guards. I don't know who Athlon had ahead of Evans, but some who could be ahead of him include JAG, Grady, Dowtin, Gilyard, Lofton, Goodwin, Carry and Jenkins, just to name guys that come immediately to mind.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Besides the big three and URI, St Bona, Duquesne, St Louis and Richmond all have the mindset of winning the conference. And if things break their way, all have at least some chance of doing so. The talent level at all 8 of those schools is considerable, and all of them, except St Louis, should be markedly better than last year. The coaching at two of those schools gives them a significant advantage, and at two of them a significant disadvantage. There are a ton of really good players, especially guards. I don't know who Athlon had ahead of Evans, but some who could be ahead of him include JAG, Grady, Dowtin, Gilyard, Lofton, Goodwin, Carry and Jenkins, just to name guys that come immediately to mind.
I posted it. They had Justin Kier on their first team. Marcus Evans played most of the season while he was still recovering from his achilles injuries yet he finished first team all-A10. I know that the league is strong and has many very good players.