The 2019-20 Season

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
Really

By pickup games, I mean vcu players going out and running full court with non vcu players at cary street gym or outside on the playground..games are self-refereed and the rules aren't so cut and dry.

The type of game in which say, Vince William's goes up for a rebound and some douche bag on the opposing team wants to prove a point and decides to use "hook and hold" technique to keep him off the ball and separates Vince's shoulder.

When I went to school, vcu players used to play pick up all the times in fsg with students, you always had some clowns out there would wanted to prove they could dunk on or do something to show up players.

The last four critical injuries (Marcus's two Achilles and both of Vince's shoulders) came off pick up games.

The end result was Marcus lost 18 months of basketball development and this the second straight summer vince lost a chance to develop his skills.

I have no problem with the players running full court with each other in the bdc where its monitored by the coaching staff.

I do have a problem with players going a playing unsupervised old fashion "street ball" pickup games where the probability of injury increases.
1-Guys get hurt in real games too.
2-If you want to get better at at sport, it's probably a good idea to play said sport.
3-These guys play pickup at BDC against our players, alums, other pros in town for the summer, etc. This isn't Tyler and Hunter from the Sig Ep house at the YMCA. Marcus got hurt playing at BDC.
4-Not only is unrealistic for the staff to be around at all hours to "supervise" these games, it's actually against the rules.
5-Nobody wants to see guys get hurt, but you are completely overthinking this.
6-I like numbered lists.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
2-If you want to get better at at sport, it's probably a good idea to play said sport.
3-These guys play pickup at BDC against our players, alums, other pros in town for the summer, etc. This isn't Tyler and Hunter from the Sig Ep house at the YMCA. Marcus got hurt playing at BDC.
4-Not only is unrealistic for the staff to be around at all hours to "supervise" these games, it's actually against the rules.
6-I like numbered lists.
@duncanlamb underthinks everything. 8-)

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
6-I like numbered lists.
don't sleep on Tyler...Hunter can only go to his right

May 4, 2012
Should they not drive? Never know if you are going to get in a wreck. What about walking across the street? Seems risky.
It was interesting to see that the top google results for injuries in pick up games were for lawyers. And then came big names missing time from these injuries.
You can make light of the risk but you ignore that most players at the college level and above play hurt to some degree or other.
It must be a concern when the Orioles forvade Cal Ripkin from pick up games.

Reactions: duncanlamb

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009
It was interesting to see that the top google results for injuries in pick up games were for lawyers. And then came big names missing time from these injuries.
You can make light of the risk but you ignore that most players at the college level and above play hurt to some degree or other.
It must be a concern when the Orioles forvade Cal Ripkin from pick up games.
Did it prohibit him from playing baseball?