The 2019-20 Season

LazyStegosaurus

Top Member
Insider
Oct 31, 2018
I am interested in any feedback on the quality of the streaming games for anyone using FIOS. I'm moving and can't get Direct Tv in the new place which I've had for 20 years so I'm considering going all in on streaming. My final decision depends on being able to watch VCU basketball. If we're certain the MASN games on are ESPN+ then I'm going with HULU streamed through FIOS. If anyone went this route last year I would love your opinion.
As long as you have a decent wireless router you should be good to go. Most, if not all, of the packages FIOS offers should be plenty fast to stream in full HD even with multiple devices streaming at the same time in the house.

Mar 1, 2015
I am interested in any feedback on the quality of the streaming games for anyone using FIOS. I'm moving and can't get Direct Tv in the new place which I've had for 20 years so I'm considering going all in on streaming. My final decision depends on being able to watch VCU basketball. If we're certain the MASN games on are ESPN+ then I'm going with HULU streamed through FIOS. If anyone went this route last year I would love your opinion.
It will work fine. But Fios internet with router taxes fees will be like 55 or 60 $. Hulu live 45 before tax and the the espn service.

I just canceled fios. Price went up and they wanted 2 year agreement with auto draft. I’m not giving the freaking cable company legal access to my bank account for 2 years. Got Comcast Xfinity with no contract, can pay however I want. All the channels VCU is on masn, cbssports, can stream any game I want etc etc. movie channels, nature and cultural stuff, everything. Plus TEVO to watch later. Comes to 120 a month after all taxes and fees. You will spend more than that piecemealing it, and probably have less. All though I don’t know why I buy it. The wife watches the housewives and crap. I go in the other room and watch pbs on an antenna or listen to music and drink.

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
I‘ve tried them all. Sling, Hulu, FobuTv and now You Tube Tv. I REALLY like YouTube TV now that it works with Amazon Firestick. I turn on my ESPN+to stream MASN games as well. I’d look at YouTube TV.

Apr 19, 2009
I‘ve tried them all. Sling, Hulu, FobuTv and now You Tube Tv. I REALLY like YouTube TV now that it works with Amazon Firestick. I turn on my ESPN+to stream MASN games as well. I’d look at YouTube TV.
Bingo. That's my solution, too. I just switched from HuluTV Live to Youtube.tv. Youtube much better signal, same channels and more (no NFL TV but I can live), and then WatchESPN. Hulu was getting annoying for me on one too many sporting events (MLB playoffs, NFL games).

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
We have the base FIOS internet-only package available in RVA (at least as far as I know), which is 50 mbps. We've never had an issue with Hulu Live TV for NBC Sports, CBSSN, or with ESPN+ for MASN. Hulu also includes 50 hours of DVR, which is nice if you want to record a game to rewatch or if you have to miss one. Streaming to your phone during the A-10 tournament and the NCAAs is pretty cool too. Would recommend.

Am interested in trying out YouTubeTV though. Not a big Sling fan.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
We have the base FIOS internet-only package available in RVA (at least as far as I know), which is 50 mbps. We've never had an issue with Hulu Live TV for NBC Sports, CBSSN, or with ESPN+ for MASN. Hulu also includes 50 hours of DVR, which is nice if you want to record a game to rewatch or if you have to miss one. Streaming to your phone during the A-10 tournament and the NCAAs is pretty cool too. Would recommend.

Am interested in trying out YouTubeTV though. Not a big Sling fan.
What does the internet-only package cost you?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
What does the internet-only package cost you?
$60 and change without a router, $70 if you rent one. They do promotions pretty regularly and you can usually talk them into a lower rate. $50 including router rental is the best I've done thus far. Usually talk to them about the contract when basketball starts.

Reactions: SWV

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
$60 and change without a router, $70 if you rent one. They do promotions pretty regularly and you can usually talk them into a lower rate. $50 including router rental is the best I've done thus far. Usually talk to them about the contract when basketball starts.
Thanks! We already have Verizon, but couldn’t ever see on the Website how much just internet would be. I’ve seen fans of my football school (VT) say YouTube TV is the way to go. I’m intrigued and would love to be able to get rid of cable.

Reactions: mrgeode