The 2019-20 Season

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
So I’ve been thinking about the season so far, and have read lots of comments in the forum, studied game logs, rewatched games, etc. Here is what I really like (2011’ish like), some of our best players are yet to have their best and or average games. It’s pretty amazing the fact that we are 8-2 and lost by only 6 points total in both losses. I think this team is very capable, and the best is yet to come. Im drinking what Mike Rhoades is serving, and I’m all in with my Rams!!!

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
VCU not even receiving votes in this week's AP Top 25 poll. Dayton drops to #18 and Wichita State moves up to #26. LSU also not receiving votes this week.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Who cares. He is a FUR guy now.
He is? Richmond is nowhere in his latest bracket, and neither is Duquesne. VCU is the only other A-10 team besides Dayton that gets in on his bracket.

On Bracket Matrix VCU shows up in 24 of the 32 member brackets as a 10-seed. Richmond and Duquesne are "next four out".

Mar 2, 2014
He is? Richmond is nowhere in his latest bracket, and neither is Duquesne. VCU is the only other A-10 team besides Dayton that gets in on his bracket.

On Bracket Matrix VCU shows up in 24 of the 32 member brackets as a 10-seed. Richmond and Duquesne are "next four out".
He was hired by UR to assist with scheduling. Look it up.

Reactions: SWV

Ululating Daddy

Top Member
Jan 13, 2016
Like a lot of folks here, my expectation was that this team would pick up right where it ended the conference season last year. After all, we returned 4 of 5 starters - 3 seniors and a junior. Whether you argue that is or isn't a reasonable expectation, it's what mine was. For whatever reason, that clearly hasn't happened. It feels, to me, as if the seniors are all trying to do too much on their own. The chemistry that let everyone trust that whoever got the opportunity would come through, and that no one needed to force anything, just isn't there. I don't know how to fix that - any move that MR makes could come across as a lack of trust from him, and that will make things even worse.

I still think this team is better than last year's was at this point in the season. At this point last year, we'd lost to Charleston at the Stu. At the Stu! Will the team catch fire again, like they did last year? I have no idea, but I'm sure eager to get on the conference season bandwagon and give it a try.

Go Rams!!

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
A year later and this team still can’t shoot (a combination of some bad mechanics, some questionable decision-making/shot selection, and lack of easy attempts like breakaway lay-ins, dunks, stickbacks, tip-ins, lobs, etc.).

Five seniors (four of them starters and hoisting most of the shots) - none of them are shooting better than 40% from the field. That’s also having played 8 home, 2 road, 2 neutrals. The rest of the way is 10 home, 9 road, at least 1 neutral. It likely won’t get much better.

First six games, all at home (mostly cupcakes), 6-0. Averaged 77 points per game. Scored 70+ points five times.

Last six games, only two at home (and much tougher competition), 3-3. Averaging 66 points per game. Only hit 70+ points once. The KP offensive efficiency numbers have plummeted as the competition has stiffened. Right now, the remaining 19-20 games could include as many as 12-14 Top 100 NET opponents.

Our seniors are “college” old (as in 23-24 yrs old). They are a finished product. Their careers will be over in three months. At this point, they are what they are (skill-wise thru Mar 2020).

Going to have to try to “grind out” 15 more wins (somehow) by Selection Sunday to keep dancing in March.

Last edited:

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
A year later and this team still can’t shoot (a combination of some bad mechanics, some questionable decision-making/shot selection, and lack of easy attempts like breakaway lay-ins, dunks, stickbacks, tip-ins, lobs, etc.).

Five seniors (four of them starters and hoisting most of the shots) - none of them are shooting better than 40% from the field. That’s also having played 8 home, 2 road, 2 neutrals. The rest of the way is 10 home, 9 road, at least 1 neutral. It likely won’t get much better.

First six games, all at home (mostly cupcakes), 6-0. Averaged 77 points per game. Scored 70+ points five times.

Last six games, only two at home (and much tougher competition), 3-3. Averaging 66 points per game. Only hit 70+ points once. The KP offensive efficiency numbers have plummeted as the competition has stiffened. Right now, the remaining 19-20 games could include as many as 12-14 Top 100 NET opponents.

Our seniors are “college” old (as in 23-24 yrs old). They are a finished product. Their careers will be over in three months. At this point, they are what they are (skill-wise thru Mar 2020).

Going to have to try to “gut out” 15 more wins (somehow) by Selection Sunday to keep dancing in March.
If we win 14 more games are we automatically not allowed to play in the dance? Asking for a friend.