The 2020-21 Men's Basketball Tournament

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Another great point by the great basketball mind that is VCU Heel.

To review, since Mark Few took over back in 1999, Gonzaga has made it to the tournament every single year. That's better than Arizona, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Indiana, etc.

Since the 2014-2015 season, Gonzaga has made it at least to the Sweet 16. They also made it to the Elite 8 twice, and they made it to the championship game twice.

All this from a small private school from the WCC.

But hey, you're right, VCU Heel. What an overrated program. :roll:
Being a condescending a$$hole seems to be your thing. GFY

• Haha
Reactions: BradRamFan

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
If getting to the tourny every year and to this year's championship game is adversity, count me in.
I don't care what league you play in or the toughness of your schedule, especially for a non P6, getting to where they are is tough.
I’d love for VCU to be where Gonzaga is. But they regularly underperform in the tournament. They did a bit better this year, but they’ve underperformed based on their seeding all but 2-3 years in the last decade.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Gonzaga played Kansas, Auburn, WVU, Iowa, UVA, and their Baylor game was cancelled. Regardless of their conference, that is Battle Testing 101, and far from overrated. And St. Mary's and BYU gave them good tests. We'd kill to have that schedule.

Not to mention the years preceding this one. They have recently played and beaten Oregon, Washington (three times), Arizona (three times), UNC, Baylor, FSU, Duke, Ohio State, Texas, West Virginia, Xavier, South Carolina, Iowa State, Tennessee, and Florida. This is just in the last few years. They have beaten bigger name programs many more times than they have lost to them.

To even suggest that Gonzaga is overrated is simply laughable. Sure, they’ve had some tough tourney losses, but who hasn’t?

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Not to mention the years preceding this one. They have recently played and beaten Oregon, Washington (three times), Arizona (three times), UNC, Baylor, FSU, Duke, Ohio State, Texas, West Virginia, Xavier, South Carolina, Iowa State, Tennessee, and Florida. This is just in the last few years. They have beaten bigger name programs many more times than they have lost to them.

To even suggest that Gonzaga is overrated is simply laughable. Sure, they’ve had some tough tourney losses, but who hasn’t?
And they move up the rankings by not playing more than one quad one game between January 1 and the NCAA Tournament most years. Just take a look at the crappy conference they play in. It’s pathetic.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
And they move up the rankings by not playing more than one quad one game between January 1 and the NCAA Tournament most years. Just take a look at the crappy conference they play in. It’s pathetic.

I hear you. Not disagreeing there.

The conference is pretty bad, but they do load up pretty well otherwise. They battle good teams every year, and win. A lot.

Reactions: Ramlove81

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012

The conference is pretty bad, but they do load up pretty well otherwise. They battle good teams every year, and win. A lot.
And then they’ve lost to worse seeds most of the last 10 years. 2017 and 2021 are the two exceptions.

They’re a very good program, but they’ve been overseeded a lot over the last 10 years.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012

So I have a theory on this that seems unpopular with my friends. The conference is actually a huge problem for them. Not because they can’t schedule out of conference games, but because the last half of the season is a cake walk. There no pressure and the edge falls off a little bit. If they moved to a marginally harder conference I think you’d start to see them clean up instead of falter down the stretch.

I need to be VERY clear though. In no way do I think Gonzaga underperforms or is over rated

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
So I have a theory on this that seems unpopular with my friends. The conference is actually a huge problem for them. Not because they can’t schedule out of conference games, but because the last half of the season is a cake walk. There no pressure and the edge falls off a little bit. If they moved to a marginally harder conference I think you’d start to see them clean up instead of falter down the stretch.

I need to be VERY clear though. In no way do I think Gonzaga underperforms or is over rated
I hate responding to my own post, but they should try and join the Mountain West. Geographically they line up (Boise State is only a few hours away) and the competition would give them some scares in conference that would force that edge to stay there.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I’d love for VCU to be where Gonzaga is. But they regularly underperform in the tournament. They did a bit better this year, but they’ve underperformed based on their seeding all but 2-3 years in the last decade.
They’ve made the second weekend of the NCAA in 6 straight tournaments. I wouldn’t really call that underperforming.

The only times in those 2 years they lost to lower seeded teams were 2018 as a 4 seed vs 9 Florida State and 2019 as a 1 seed vs 3 Texas Tech.

Either you are trolling or you are a fan of a blue blood and you view college basketball programs from that elitist lense.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I don't think Gonzaga is overrated at all. I do think there their often weak conference schedule works against sometimes. They simply come into the tourney without looking battle tested. So, what should they do? Can they get into another conference based just on their men's basketball team? Probably not. Can they schedule a few national powers in late February to get them ready? Probably not. This Gonzaga team was as good or better than anyone else in the country all season long. Maybe they can get the PAC12 or Big 12 to let them at least play in their tournaments in the future, to get the tough competition they need. Probably not. In the mean time, I root for VCU. If VCU is out, I root for Gonzaga because they show us a mid major in a less than power 6 conference can do it. Here's to Baylor, they played great, but I won't tell you I'm not disappointed they didn't get their butts kicked by a mid major in that championship game.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
I hate responding to my own post, but they should try and join the Mountain West. Geographically they line up (Boise State is only a few hours away) and the competition would give them some scares in conference that would force that edge to stay there.
That would be a good choice, but I don't know about them joining a football conference when they don't have a football team. They have our problem there. They could maybe join them as a basketball only, but I'm not sure what the Mountain West thinks of that kind of arrangement.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
That would be a good choice, but I don't know about them joining a football conference when they don't have a football team. They have our problem there. They could maybe join them as a basketball only, but I'm not sure what the Mountain West thinks of that kind of arrangement.
You'd think basically any conference would say yes pretty quick if the Zags said they wanted to sign up.

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
My guess is that the mountain west would probably not care too much. The lure of Gonzaga and all those NCAA credits should be enough to overcome the football hurdle.

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
My guess is that the mountain west would probably not care too much. The lure of Gonzaga and all those NCAA credits should be enough to overcome the football hurdle.
Mountain west courted them years ago but Gonzaga worked out a deal with their conference ,West Coast Conference, to keep more and more of the NCAA money earned by Gonzaga for each round they advance - I could not find the actual arrangement but the attached article provides a little of the details