The 2020-21 Men's Basketball Tournament

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
That would be a good choice, but I don't know about them joining a football conference when they don't have a football team. They have our problem there. They could maybe join them as a basketball only, but I'm not sure what the Mountain West thinks of that kind of arrangement.

My guess is that the mountain west would probably not care too much. The lure of Gonzaga and all those NCAA credits should be enough to overcome the football hurdle.
I think this is true for basketball, their women's program is also pretty good, but what other sports are involved, could they stay in WCC in some sports and not others? They are basically big time only in basketball. They may still need to upgrade in other sports to meet the standards of the Mountain West. I hope they can do that. It might help them to have consistently decent competition in conference. They could also keep their rivalry games from WCC, BYU and St. Mary's. Unfortunately the West Coast doesn't have a conference like the Big East for schools that want to go big time basketball, but not football.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Mountain west courted them years ago but Gonzaga worked out a deal with their conference ,West Coast Conference, to keep more and more of the NCAA money earned by Gonzaga for each round they advance - I could not find the actual arrangement but the attached article provides a little of the details
Thanks for posting, this is very informative. Interesting how conferences work to draw schools and keep them, what compromises are made. I think this was a good deal for Gonzaga in terms of keeping more of the money for the program, but maybe not so much for the competition the team needs to be ready for the NCAAT.

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
And then they’ve lost to worse seeds most of the last 10 years. 2017 and 2021 are the two exceptions.

They’re a very good program, but they’ve been overseeded a lot over the last 10 years.
This discussion prompts me to ask, what was your opinion of the last 10 years of Ray Meyer’s DePaul?

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Mountain west courted them years ago but Gonzaga worked out a deal with their conference ,West Coast Conference, to keep more and more of the NCAA money earned by Gonzaga for each round they advance - I could not find the actual arrangement but the attached article provides a little of the details
That’s good context. I didn’t even know it had happened. At the end of the day, a short term view on money may limit long term domination. But who knows...

Reactions: share the ball

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
Crummy weight room for the women’s tournament, leaving Arizona WBB out of the Final 4 hype video, leaving VCU our of One Shining Moment. NCAA, why? Please make an effort to do better.
The National Anthem before the Championship game was so great. Loved the harmony and the decision to invite each of them to sing together.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Crummy weight room for the women’s tournament, leaving Arizona WBB out of the Final 4 hype video, leaving VCU our of One Shining Moment. NCAA, why? Please make an effort to do better.
The National Anthem before the Championship game was so great. Loved the harmony and the decision to invite each of them to sing together.
Unfortunately the national anthem was the highlight of the night.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009

What highlight were they going to use for "One Shining Moment", us getting off the bus?