The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Unfortunately, I just don’t see how we have much of a shot here. And I’m not sure what Vegas is thinking with a spread so close. I expect the line to move a lot. We just don’t have an alpha dog like Toppin (they have more than 1 alpha dog), they can hit from 3, deadly inside, and no issues vs a press defense. Meanwhile we aren’t a good shooting team, our bigs get pushed around when we play teams with other good bigs, and we do not have an alpha dog player. I’m just not seeing it but hope I’m proven wrong.
We did turn them over 20+ last time
...of course we cant throw it in the ocean so it didn't help

Nov 10, 2012
I don't know if we are going to win tonight or not. It's going to take an A+ game from everyone. But I will be there cheering loud and proud. I'm all in no matter what. I have no idea what's going on with this team, haven't been able to figure this team out all season, but what I can do is support this team through the hard times. So I will be there wearing black and cheer like crazy!

Last edited:

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
our youngest decided not to sleep last night so her mom was up with the kid until around 3 and I have been up since then, this 8:30 start isn't doing me any favors but I will be there as loud as I can be haha. Either Dayton is going to run the table or somebody is going to catch them just right and give them the taste of L for the first time in a long while. Might as well be tonight!

#LetsGoVCU

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
I can tell you for one @rambunctiousrowdyram is one of the faithful fans... but he's also realistic. Just like me. And lets be honest, even prior to the Mason Loss & the Fur loss (on the road)… there was already a lot of discussion this year about the energy level in the Stu.... was it because of the Band, Lack of Student involvement, the on court promotions in game.... or was it just our play in general that was hurting the environment. Maybe it was a little bit of all of it.

And sure we have a Top 5 team coming into the Stu tomorrow.... and if you just look at the matchup, and don't look at how we've played 3 of the last 4 games... then yeah... there's A LOT to get excited for... It would be like Butler when they came back to the Stu after beating us in the Final 4.... that place was absolutely Bonkers.

However, with the recent trend of events, going from Firmly entrenched in the Top 3... to losing 3 out of 4 games, our starting PG getting hurt AGAIN, and just trying to fight to stay in the Top 8.... and fans with a lot of questions about the "elephant in the room" and who or what it is.

He's got a valid level of concern about whether fans are going to blow the roof off the STU... sure it may start off loud like any game, especially against a Rival or Ranked Opponent....

But what happens if we start struggling offensively again, and what happens if on the defense we are giving up wide open 3's & layups. And what if we give up another 10-0, or 20-0 nothing run again? Which Dayton is certainly capable of as we saw in the first match up before "the sky was falling" for VCU & their fans. The STU would end up being an ice cold environment for everyone except for Dayton & their fans.

Uva, Texas & LSU were most certainly not face value... and if they were someone musta been desperate to get rid of them (for some reason)… because especially for Texas and LSU tickets up in the corners were going for $100 for a ticket.... heck we had posters on here (who I won't call out) who were charging $300+ for a pair of tickets to those games & they were like 20+ rows from the floor & not event center court seats.

If Dayton tickets are going for face value right now.... then clearly it's either fans who can't make the game because it starts too late for them.... or it's people selling extra tickets for face value, because they know that the way we are playing as of late, and with all the fans who think "the sky is falling" or something similar to that.... no one is going to pay $75-100 for a ticket in the corner to come watch Dayton blow the doors off of us.... assuming that's what happens.

I have season tickets, so I don't have to worry about it.... but if I didn't, I certainly would not pay above face value for a ticket to this game knowing what could potentially happen based on how we've played 3 out of the last 4 games..... and I'm a diehard fan.
There’s also been ticket-selling shaming going on. Unless you give them away, “fans” are social media shaming sellers.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
There’s also been ticket-selling shaming going on. Unless you give them away, “fans” are social media shaming sellers.
Ticket shaming is only necessary when sellers use social media to hike up prices. No issues at all in my opinion when selling at face value. I see what you mean, there’s a bunch of beggars on that page. Pretty gross.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk
Dec 2, 2012
Unfortunately, I just don’t see how we have much of a shot here. And I’m not sure what Vegas is thinking with a spread so close. I expect the line to move a lot. We just don’t have an alpha dog like Toppin (they have more than 1 alpha dog), they can hit from 3, deadly inside, and no issues vs a press defense. Meanwhile we aren’t a good shooting team, our bigs get pushed around when we play teams with other good bigs, and we do not have an alpha dog player. I’m just not seeing it but hope I’m proven wrong.
MSS is not an Alpha dog?
That said, he's a 4 guarding Toppin so he would probably struggle.

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
Ticket shaming is only necessary when sellers use social media to hike up prices. No issues at all in my opinion when selling at face value. I see what you mean, there’s a bunch of beggars on that page. Pretty gross.
However, face value isn’t necessary fair value since it doesn’t include the donation value. Honestly, we forgo a vacation to be in our seats each year. Oh, and I’ve never sold tickets so this is just an observation.