The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

Mar 26, 2011
I just had someone offer folks two tickets to tonight's game because they didn't want to experience a blowout loss at home...sheesh!

• Haha
Reactions: SZQ VCU
Mar 19, 2014
I don't even care for court storms, personally. I think it's kind of dumb. That said, I understand the catharsis and if there were ever a time for catharsis for our fan base, it's right now.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
On one hand... we didn't storm when we beat St. Louis who was Ranked #10 (I think).... and last court storming at VCU I remember was Oklahoma back in November 2009. But then again when we beat SLU.... our team was playing well... we didn't come in losing 3 out of 4, on the verge of missing the tournnament, and battling to stay in the Top 8 of the conference.

Heck I don't even think we rushed the court against Butler.... who we lost to in the Final 4 & I believe they were ranked when we played them (albeit not Top 10)

As for Dayton, sure they are the first ever Top 5 team to come into the Stu.... Not UVA, Oklahoma, LSU, St. Louis or anyone else who has come to the STU was ranked in the Top 5. And clearly with this recent stretch of games.... VCU is struggling to keep it's NCAA Tourney hopes alive. If VCU wins this game, it would be HUGE.

So, while I don't plan on rushing the court if we win.... If people wanna try to rush the court if we win.... thats on them.

I'll be perfectly happy just getting the win... but first we gotta get the win before we can worry about anyone rushing the court... so I say we cross that bridge when we get to it.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
In case anyone didnt know, THIS IS THE TIME THE KIDS NEED US.

You got a problem with the PROGRAM?
Save it for the offseason.
We can't make any changes now, but we can show up and be loud Tuesday.

I know it looks bad, and there are issues with the team.

The team has given us a lot of joy over the years, and as far as I'm concerned Tuesday is my day to pay back.

You already gave UP? You think we got no chance?

Heres what we do have, we have a chance to show the snooty 1% in Henrico that we are better fans than they are, because we support the team even when they are down and dont put up passive aggressive billboards.

We get a chance to show those stinking Skyline chili rubes what "loud" really sounds like, even if it's just for the first 10 minutes of the game.

Its easy to be loud when we have locked up an at large bid and are rolling. This is the hard part.
I mean, I'll be there, and I'll cheer, and I'll get loud and support the young men who have given so much to this program...but I'll also be happy if we keep it within 20.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Heck I don't even think we rushed the court against Butler.... who we lost to in the Final 4 & I believe they were ranked when we played them (albeit not Top 10)
We didn't. They were ranked #20 at the time.

I personally have no issue with it, VCU has never beaten (or even played, for that matter) a top-5 ranked team at the Stu before, so it would be a first-in-history thing. However, storming the court also requires winning the game, which is not exactly going to be an easy task and I still think it's a long shot.

Of course the question is moot because RMC Events usually works to prevent any sort of postgame shenanigans anyway and wouldn't allow a court storming to happen in the first place.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
We didn't. They were ranked #20 at the time.

I personally have no issue with it, VCU has never beaten (or even played, for that matter) a top-5 ranked team at the Stu before, so it would be a first-in-history thing. However, storming the court also requires winning the game, which is not exactly going to be an easy task and I still think it's a long shot.

Of course the question is moot because RMC Events usually works to prevent any sort of postgame shenanigans anyway and wouldn't allow a court storming to happen in the first place.
Yeah I didn't think we did.... and I mean heck.... if there was ever a time to do it, why didn't we do it then? Against the team who knocked us out from a shot of playing for a National Title. Plus we didn't do it against SLU (which I'm going to guess was the first time we hosted a Top 10 team right?)..... so why do it against Dayton?