The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

Gopher+RamFan

Top Member
Dec 9, 2010
I’ve had a ton of great conversations with Dayton fans in Brooklyn and Pittsburgh for the A10 Tournament.

VCU has a few posters that will not be named that are definitely sociopaths in the twitter world too. It’s just how fan bases are, specifically big ones.

Tbh, the only fan base I’ve ever had issues with in the A10 is Rhody. Some fans were poopty to me in Pittsburgh for no reason and I witnessed some Rhody fans harassing VCU fans in DC. Just the way it is, I know we have some too.
Rhody can be aggressive, I got into some good banter at URI a few seasons ago. They were chill, but one of their cops was pretty rough and honestly unprofessional.

Bonnies fans are the worst. Spitting on VCU fans for no reason (they were on the second floor of a bar we were just about to walk into - no prior interaction, so only hating because we had VCU gear on). I don't like Dayton twitter, some of that is because they're beefing with *some* VCU fans on twitter. Sully is kind of repulsive, but that's only my twitter reading of him.

Reactions: Hoos A Ram

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Rhody can be aggressive, I got into some good banter at URI a few seasons ago. They were chill, but one of their cops was pretty rough and honestly unprofessional.

Bonnies fans are the worst. Spitting on VCU fans for no reason (they were on the second floor of a bar we were just about to walk into - no prior interaction, so only hating because we had VCU gear on). I don't like Dayton twitter, some of that is because they're beefing with *some* VCU fans on twitter. Sully is kind of repulsive, but that's only my twitter reading of him.
There are definitely some sh1t head Dayton fans that fight with a specific VCU female twitter user who lets face it - she does it to herself. As for Sully, I actually like him. I met him in Brooklyn last year and he knows basketball. I think his whole twitter persona is to be a d1ck.

Reactions: PRock
Mar 6, 2016
It took me a few years to realize this, but most Dayton fans are 100% class. Yes, they have like 3 people or so at the top of their fan hierarchy (that are probably sociopaths) and a handful of people that hold their jockstraps on Twitter, but every Dayton fan I've run into IRL has been nothing but great.
I think the Dayton and VCU fanbases are much more alike than they are different. Dayton has had *much* less postseason success (& appearances) over the last couple decades than you guys but we’ve always packed the house, travel well, and support our Flyers.

Like most VCU fans, most Dayton fans are passionate & knowledgeable. We’re also blindly loyal, which can create some conflicts online. As stated, there are a-holes online who like attention and trolling more than they do discussing hoops, and it takes away from they enjoyment for a lot of us. Block & mute are wonderful features though.

Re: Tuesday’s game, most Flyer fans have had this game circled on the calendar since the schedule was released. I’ll be honest - I have no idea what to expect. Dayton is in the middle of a dream season, our best since the 50s. You guys are a wounded animal of a squad right now - could be extremely dangerous. Feels like the start of this game will tell us a lot. If VCU comes out hot, forces a few early turnovers and takes an early lead, the crowd will be in a frenzy and it’ll be tough for UD to fight back. But if Dayton jumps out early, I could see the score ending up lopsided.

Couple of tidbits: Ibi Watson, our 6th man, had been lighting it up from deep, was at ~45% on the season from three, but he’s been 0 for his last 7 in the last three games, and 4 for his last 21. He was a big key to our success so far, but has really dropped off the last few games. UD has made a bad habit of jumping out to leads and nearly giving them back. Our last 6 games, we didn’t finish teams off like we had earlier in the year.

Interested to see if Evans plays. He surely won’t be close to 100% if he does. He killed us in both games last year.

On paper, Dayton matches up well against VCU. We start essentially 2 point guards, all 5 starters can handle the ball, we’re a very good passing team, and shoot it well, while taking good shots.

That said, Flyers are due for a loss and the Rams are due for a win so it should be a great game.

May 19, 2015
I think the Dayton and VCU fanbases are much more alike than they are different. Dayton has had *much* less postseason success (& appearances) over the last couple decades than you guys but we’ve always packed the house, travel well, and support our Flyers.

Like most VCU fans, most Dayton fans are passionate & knowledgeable. We’re also blindly loyal, which can create some conflicts online. As stated, there are a-holes online who like attention and trolling more than they do discussing hoops, and it takes away from they enjoyment for a lot of us. Block & mute are wonderful features though.

Re: Tuesday’s game, most Flyer fans have had this game circled on the calendar since the schedule was released. I’ll be honest - I have no idea what to expect. Dayton is in the middle of a dream season, our best since the 50s. You guys are a wounded animal of a squad right now - could be extremely dangerous. Feels like the start of this game will tell us a lot. If VCU comes out hot, forces a few early turnovers and takes an early lead, the crowd will be in a frenzy and it’ll be tough for UD to fight back. But if Dayton jumps out early, I could see the score ending up lopsided.

Couple of tidbits: Ibi Watson, our 6th man, had been lighting it up from deep, was at ~45% on the season from three, but he’s been 0 for his last 7 in the last three games, and 4 for his last 21. He was a big key to our success so far, but has really dropped off the last few games. UD has made a bad habit of jumping out to leads and nearly giving them back. Our last 6 games, we didn’t finish teams off like we had earlier in the year.

Interested to see if Evans plays. He surely won’t be close to 100% if he does. He killed us in both games last year.

On paper, Dayton matches up well against VCU. We start essentially 2 point guards, all 5 starters can handle the ball, we’re a very good passing team, and shoot it well, while taking good shots.

That said, Flyers are due for a loss and the Rams are due for a win so it should be a great game.
Congratulations on a fantastic season! Dayton and Obi have brought a lot of positive media attention to the A-10 conference. We look forward to welcoming, likely by now, a top 5 NCAA top challenger to the Siegel Center.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009

I appreciate your insight on the game DrBluff. Dayton is absolutely having a dream season right now and Dayton fans have every right to enjoy that. I think as a program Dayton will have more seasons hovering between the 7 - 11 seed range like the Archie Miller years, but this particular year is a season where a good program has a lottery pick and a lot of efficiency and confidence.

Dayton is definitely due for a loss and this will probably be the most hostile environment they will play in all year. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
It took me a few years to realize this, but most Dayton fans are 100% class. Yes, they have like 3 people or so at the top of their fan hierarchy (that are probably sociopaths) and a handful of people that hold their jockstraps on Twitter, but every Dayton fan I've run into IRL has been nothing but great.
yes, they act like they've been there. i've never met one I didn't like and that was respectful even after their team lost.

Mar 19, 2014
I vote Lord Alfred Hayes and Gorilla Monsoon. Nobody could call a squash match like them.
We'll need to be the rock meeting the immovable object, show lots of intestinal fortitude, an avoid taking repeated shots to the solar plexus if we want any chance at this one. One thing's for sure, you'll be able to cut the electricity in the Stu with a knife.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I've always liked Grant a lot. He has an intimidating persona which is what I've always liked about him.
Also, that dude is still absolutely ripped. Gotta respect a guy in his 50s who still does push-ups and sit-ups.
When he spoke during interviews he reminded me more of an English or history professor. He was always very intent on his words, and it looked like he was really thinking about what he was saying, and was going to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beirne and wavevcu
Mar 1, 2015
We'll need to be the rock meeting the immovable object, show lots of intestinal fortitude, an avoid taking repeated shots to the solar plexus if we want any chance at this one. One thing's for sure, you'll be able to cut the electricity in the Stu with a knife.
Irresistible force meeting the immovable object. Get your wrestling terminology straight buster.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010

Sully is good people—just trying to make a place in this world doing what he loves, like the VRN team.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Although I want us to win badly, I would like to see a couple of Obi monster dunks!
Obi’s gonna get his. Haven’t seen a game yet where he hasn’t had a least 2-3 dunks.