The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
Looking at the box to see that MSS really handled himself well against Obi. 17 rebounds and that block, WOW! I give him a pass on the FTs. Our shooters ought to be making FTs.

Feb 16, 2017
They haven’t played well and minutes should be adjusted, but senior night is a pretty sacred thing. I won’t even accept tongue in check jokes like that. These guys are Rams forever.
Agreed. Everyone is disappointed with the results this season, but they've played hard for us for 4 years and deserve to be recognized.

Reactions: SpiderRAM and HBK
Mar 2, 2014
What a dumba$$ statement...defense was not the problem... Missing wide open shots and free throws cost us...
[/QUOTE]
Bingo. Just stop with the head fakes and shoot it off the pass or dribble. Our half court offense is tough to watch, but true, if the shots would have fallen we had it in the bag.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I am envouraged by last night's loss. We relied more on solid half court defense to get stops.

:Dayton didn't get many open looks because we had good defensive rotation.

As the commentators stated, Rhoades and VCU took Dayton's entry passing lanes to Toppin.

The ball movement was there, we got the ball inside and drew alot of fouls on Dayton. Just couldn't hit ft's.

its a step in the right direction.

If we play like this instead of the previous 2 games then we can win 4 of our last 5.

ramsareus

Top Member
Insider
Oct 18, 2019
press press press press press …..lets hope it work...no changing up.The offensive and defensive sets don't exist , its PRESS or nothing with MR! 0 adjustments lol Results CIT possibly NIT
Are you really this stupid? I was just writing It off to you being a troll, now I’m beginning to think you are just dumb. Defense was excellent last night and has been for most of the year. Our problem is offense.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

Scuffy McGee

Top Member
Jan 23, 2010
Seasons when VCU has lost 6+ regular season conference games since the 2002-2003 season:

2002-2003 - 18-10, 12-6 (no postseason tournament)

2005-2006 - 19-10, 11-7 (no postseason tournament)

2009-2010 - 27-9, 11-7 (CBI Champions)

2010-2011 - 28-12, 12-6 (NCAAT national semi-finals)

2014-2015 - 26-10, 12-6 (A10 Tournament Champions; NCAAT First Round)

2017-2018 - 18-15, 9-9 (no postseason tournament)

2019-2020 thus far - 17-9, 7-6

Last edited:
Reactions: duncanlamb

ShoeSh1ne

Insider
Mar 7, 2009
Forget the FT's for a minute.

The real story of the game right here: Vann, Jenkins, Crowfield, Simms a combined 3-20. We lost by 5. Just 3 more buckets by these guys and we win. I just don't get it.
I'd remove Crowfield from that, two 3's from him is about what we should expect at this point, so I'll take it. 2 points total from the other 3 in 60+ min is just gross though.

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
The seniors combined to go 3-20 for 10 points in 83 total minutes.

I don't know what's more amazing the fact that we were within a bucket with 30 seconds to go in the game or the stark disparity between the expectations and reality for the senior class this year 😳
If my math is correct, over the last three games our seniors have shot 21/72. That's 29% and that won't win in any tourney.

• Angry
Reactions: northernvatiger
Apr 20, 2009
Tre Clark was fun to watch last night!! Mac and Ward need more playing time. We had a chance. Vann and Jenkins are going to bring it at the A-10 tourney. Right now, I'd like to see Clark, Bones, Williams, MSS, and Ward start. They are all bringing it. We have a chance to beat anyone in the A-10, step up the Defense and we can win it.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
Tre Clark was fun to watch last night!! Mac and Ward need more playing time. We had a chance. Vann and Jenkins are going to bring it at the A-10 tourney. Right now, I'd like to see Clark, Bones, Williams, MSS, and Ward start. They are all bringing it. We have a chance to beat anyone in the A-10, step up the Defense and we can win it.
And JMac as a 6th man.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Are you really this stupid? I was just writing It off to you being a troll, now I’m beginning to think you are just dumb. Defense was excellent last night and has been for most of the year. Our problem is offense.
Yeah just ignore that dude. The defense was really good last night... sure there's a few plays I wish we could have back on both sides of the ball... but overall I agree the defense was much much better last night.... and unlike the 2nd half of the Mason game or all of the Richmond game.... I didn't see our struggles on offense affecting us on defense.

I also feel like, had we played like we did last night, against GMU and Richmond... we win both of those games.

1 thing I did hear when I was listening to Wes McElroy's show yesterday afternoon on the Radio when he was talking to Wayne Epps.... that Myself & others had been preaching for to happen.... was that after the Richmond game at Practice on Sunday, there was some airing of grievances of sorts both player to player & player to coaches. Obviously, nothing specific was mentioned as to what was said... but whatever was said... it seemed to work a little bit.

Reactions: ramsareus
Jul 27, 2017
I thought all four freshman played really well. Good things just seem to happen when Clark is in. Let's rest Evans until the A10 tourney. We are just fine at point guard with Bones starting and Clark getting 10-12 minutes off the bench. It's pretty exciting to have two freshman point guards who can make plays against the #5 team in the county. Clark absolutely seemed like he belonged on the floor.

If someone had told me that we would have less turnovers, out rebound them by 10, and hold them to 66 points I would have thought for sure we won the game. If we can consistently play like that we may still be able to salvage this season.

Jan 15, 2020
I’d like to see MSS stop whining about things though. Every time he comes to the sideline he’s got his arms outstretched or something and clearly voicing her displeasure to Rhoades. Same on the court. He didn’t use to do that.

Reactions: duncanlamb