The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

NCRam

Top Member
Feb 23, 2013
I’d like to see MSS stop whining about things though. Every time he comes to the sideline he’s got his arms outstretched or something and clearly voicing her displeasure to Rhoades. Same on the court. He didn’t use to do that.
Some of the calls he got earlier in the year are suddenly not going his way. I think the A10 more than any other conference has incredibly inconsistent officiating. I see a lot of make-up calls too because they miss something or make a poor call.

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
Some of the calls he got earlier in the year are suddenly not going his way. I think the A10 more than any other conference has incredibly inconsistent officiating. I see a lot of make-up calls too because they miss something or make a poor call.
Don't think there are refs assigned to certain conferences any more; thus, there are no "A10 refs."

Jan 15, 2020
I get that but when he misses open shots or makes a bad foul like the one 40 ft from the basket last night that’s on you. I get he’s frustrated but why are you looking at anyone else but you? Now credit when he missed two big FTs you saw him kicking himself essentially knowing we needed them.

Reactions: RamStrut

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
tis true. and Dayton worked hard to shut Jenkins down. They were all over him.

NEXT!!
Yep, not his best night, but they did put Chatman on him quite a bit—likely A10 DPOY. DJ’s defense was still very strong. Just needed 2-3 more converts.

A lot of frustration on “the senior class”, but one was injured, one was the focal point of their best defender yet still played top notch defense and another shot 40% from 3. Of course we should want more, but I saw a spirited effort—if the team continues that effort, we should win out and be dangerous in Brooklyn.

My concern is that is a big “if”.

Reactions: Beirne and mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Yep, not his best night, but they did put Chatman on him quite a bit—likely A10 DPOY. DJ’s defense was still very strong. Just needed 2-3 more converts.

A lot of frustration on “the senior class”, but one was injured, one was the focal point of their best defender yet still played top notch defense and another shot 40% from 3. Of course we should want more, but I saw a spirited effort—if the team continues that effort, we should win out and be dangerous in Brooklyn.

My concern is that is a big “if”.
Eh, you like to live dangerously, why shouldn't your team be a roulette wheel?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Thought's on last night....

1. Overall I thought we played really well last night. Just got beat by a better team, even though we could've won had a couple of shots dropped, or a couple calls go our way instead of theirs.... or we make a few more of those FTs we missed.

2. Bones did really well filling in for ME in the Starting PG position.... came out firing offensively in the first half. Thought he did a good job running the point, for the most part, I thought the offense seemed a little more fluid, not as much standing around.... even if there was nothing open, we kept passing the ball around until we found someone open.

Only thing I would fault him for was late in the game... with about 5:30 to go. I think he wanted to take the 3, but then went for a mid range jumper.... and after the miss... he committed a frustration foul trying to get the steal to make up for his missed shot. That put him at 4 fouls, which means he had to go sit for for 2 or 3 minutes, it also put Dayton back at the FT line and Dayton's lead went from 3 to 5. Simple freshman mistake but that could've been the difference in the game. Not putting it all on that sequence though.

3. Silva seemed to be back to Silva last night. He was able to get going in the paint a little more in the 2nd half, and the guy was an absolute machine on the boards last night.

4. Douglas & Ward played really well when subbing in for Silva.... Ward played some really big minutes & I thought handled Toppin fairly well. Only question I have, is why didn't Corey play much (if at all) in the 2nd half. I thought he did well for the most part in the first half.

5. Vince Williams also had a really good night last night. 13 pts, 6 rebounds... including a couple big offensive rebounds.

6. I liked what I saw out of Clark last night, played well as the backup point. Obviously still needs a little work, but for someone who doesn't get a lot of minutes, I thought he handled himself well. Also there was that one play where he put a move on Toppin & almost scored.... if that had gone in, I think the roof might have caved in.... though I think we did get the offensive rebound & ended up scoring on that play.

The 2 things more than anything that kept us in the game last night was defense & rebounding. We out rebounded Dayton 41-31 & 16-7 in terms of offensive rebounds. Silva & Williams combined out rebounded the entire Dayton team on the offensive side of the ball 8-7. And as far as the defense goes.... despite how well Dayton shot (especially in the first half)… VCU was the first team to hold Dayton under 70 pts in a game this year.

Despite the loss, there are a lot of positives to take from this game. And I'll be honest if we play like we did last night for the rest of the season (plus shoot slightly better at the FT line, and get a few more of those open shots to drop)…. we can win the rest of our remaining games before the A10 Tourney, and maybe make some noise in the A10 Tourney.... especially if we can get Evans back healthy for the A10 Tournament.

Jul 27, 2017
Thought's on last night....

1. Overall I thought we played really well last night. Just got beat by a better team, even though we could've won had a couple of shots dropped, or a couple calls go our way instead of theirs.... or we make a few more of those FTs we missed.

2. Bones did really well filling in for ME in the Starting PG position.... came out firing offensively in the first half. Thought he did a good job running the point, for the most part, I thought the offense seemed a little more fluid, not as much standing around.... even if there was nothing open, we kept passing the ball around until we found someone open.

Only thing I would fault him for was late in the game... with about 5:30 to go. I think he wanted to take the 3, but then went for a mid range jumper.... and after the miss... he committed a frustration foul trying to get the steal to make up for his missed shot. That put him at 4 fouls, which means he had to go sit for for 2 or 3 minutes, it also put Dayton back at the FT line and Dayton's lead went from 3 to 5. Simple freshman mistake but that could've been the difference in the game. Not putting it all on that sequence though.

3. Silva seemed to be back to Silva last night. He was able to get going in the paint a little more in the 2nd half, and the guy was an absolute machine on the boards last night.

4. Douglas & Ward played really well when subbing in for Silva.... Ward played some really big minutes & I thought handled Toppin fairly well. Only question I have, is why didn't Corey play much (if at all) in the 2nd half. I thought he did well for the most part in the first half.

5. Vince Williams also had a really good night last night. 13 pts, 6 rebounds... including a couple big offensive rebounds.

6. I liked what I saw out of Clark last night, played well as the backup point. Obviously still needs a little work, but for someone who doesn't get a lot of minutes, I thought he handled himself well. Also there was that one play where he put a move on Toppin & almost scored.... if that had gone in, I think the roof might have caved in.... though I think we did get the offensive rebound & ended up scoring on that play.

The 2 things more than anything that kept us in the game last night was defense & rebounding. We out rebounded Dayton 41-31 & 16-7 in terms of offensive rebounds. Silva & Williams combined out rebounded the entire Dayton team on the offensive side of the ball 8-7. And as far as the defense goes.... despite how well Dayton shot (especially in the first half)… VCU was the first team to hold Dayton under 70 pts in a game this year.

Despite the loss, there are a lot of positives to take from this game. And I'll be honest if we play like we did last night for the rest of the season (plus shoot slightly better at the FT line, and get a few more of those open shots to drop)…. we can win the rest of our remaining games before the A10 Tourney, and maybe make some noise in the A10 Tourney.... especially if we can get Evans back healthy for the A10 Tournament.
Hopefully Vince is back to being Vince the rest of the season. Having him and MSS playing at the same time solved a lot of our rebounding issues we have had all year.

MarylandRamFan

Top Member
Feb 18, 2018
Tied for 6th place with Davidson and St. Louis at 7-6 in the A10; 9 total losses; our best win is by 4 points in November against a free falling LSU team; hardly the resume of a NCAA tourney team. Might be a stretch for the NIT at this point.
I recall seeing the Rams as high as #14 in a CBS poll back in November, touting the teams performance in 2019 and how 'experienced' they were.
My how things have changed.
I'll agree that they fought hard last night and came close..........but close doesn't count.

Reactions: ssvcu90 and mrA10

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Don't think there are refs assigned to certain conferences any more; thus, there are no "A10 refs."
to go with what @SWV said.... I think you are right. There may be 1 or 2 "A10 refs" per game... but not always every game.

One of the refs specifically from last night I recognized as more of a "regional ref".... Mike Eades. I've seen him ref several of our games, as well as ref'ing games at UNC & Duke.

Heck... the referee crew that officiated our game against Davidson on Feb 7th.... was the exact same officiating crew the ref'd the Duke-UNC game at Chapel Hill... the very next day.

Reactions: NCRam and SWV

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Tied for 6th place with Davidson and St. Louis at 7-6 in the A10; 9 total losses; our best win is by 4 points in November against a free falling LSU team; hardly the resume of a NCAA tourney team. Might be a stretch for the NIT at this point.
I recall seeing the Rams as high as #14 in a CBS poll back in November, touting the teams performance in 2019 and how 'experienced' they were.
My how things have changed.
I'll agree that they fought hard last night and came close..........but close doesn't count.
Yep. At this point it is all about getting right and hoping for a run in Brooklyn. That is where they are at.

Mar 1, 2015
Hopefully Vince is back to being Vince the rest of the season. Having him and MSS playing at the same time solved a lot of our rebounding issues we have had all year.
He makes mess in there and just keeps ball alive.

I hope he can play the 3 next year with Silva and Ward in the floor. The offense is so crude anyway, just pound it and grind out wins.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Tied for 6th place with Davidson and St. Louis at 7-6 in the A10
Here's the good part... both of them lost last night just like we did.... plus we currently hold the tie breaker over Davidson.

Assuming Dayton & Rhody finish 1-2... then you look at the teams behind them.... Richmond (we split), Bonnies (We own tie breaker), Duquesne/SLU.... still yet to play, Davidson (we currently own tiebreaker.. but still have to play one more time).

So lets say we use last night as a launching pad & go on a 5 game win streak to end the regular season. That would mean at worst we gain 1 more game on Duquesne (currently trail by 1.5 games going into tonight) and we could be at least 1 full game ahead of both Davidson & SLU... and would own the tie breakers over all 3 of those teams. Then if us and the Bonnies ended up in a tie... we'd also own the tie breaker over them.

Here's the remaining schedules for Richmond, SBU, Duquesne, SLU & Davidson & us.

VCU- @ SLU, @ UMass, GW, Duquesne @ Davidson
Richmond- GMU, @ SBU, @ GW, UMass, Davidson, @ Duquesne
SBU- Richmond, Duquesne, @ La Salle, Saint Joes, @ SLU
SLU- VCU, Saint Joes, @ Rhody, @ GMU, SBU
Davidson- Rhody, La Salle, @ Dayton, @ Richmond, VCU
Duquesne- GW, @ Dayton, @ SBU, vs GMU, @ VCU, Richmond

So there will be a lot of beating each other up for the 3-8 spots.... with pretty much every one of these 6 teams having at least 3 games against teams competing for a Top 4 spot.

If we play like we did last night... get a few more of those open looks to drop & increase our FT % a little bit... we could beat any team remaining on our schedule.... though none of them will be easy... and we can't take any of them lightly.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
I have yet to hear the press conf but, if coach said we need to stick with the seniors as a previous poster said, than that's just straight up stupid for so many reasons. You don't play someone because they are seniors, you play because they produce on the court. Also, when recruiting, if a potential recruit that's top 50 for example heard this, they would ask themselves...."why in the heck would I ever want to come here if they are going to give minutes to someone simply because they are seniors, even tho they play like crap?"