The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

Feb 16, 2017
I think the Dayton and VCU fanbases are much more alike than they are different. Dayton has had *much* less postseason success (& appearances) over the last couple decades than you guys but we’ve always packed the house, travel well, and support our Flyers.

Like most VCU fans, most Dayton fans are passionate & knowledgeable. We’re also blindly loyal, which can create some conflicts online. As stated, there are a-holes online who like attention and trolling more than they do discussing hoops, and it takes away from they enjoyment for a lot of us. Block & mute are wonderful features though.

Re: Tuesday’s game, most Flyer fans have had this game circled on the calendar since the schedule was released. I’ll be honest - I have no idea what to expect. Dayton is in the middle of a dream season, our best since the 50s. You guys are a wounded animal of a squad right now - could be extremely dangerous. Feels like the start of this game will tell us a lot. If VCU comes out hot, forces a few early turnovers and takes an early lead, the crowd will be in a frenzy and it’ll be tough for UD to fight back. But if Dayton jumps out early, I could see the score ending up lopsided.

Couple of tidbits: Ibi Watson, our 6th man, had been lighting it up from deep, was at ~45% on the season from three, but he’s been 0 for his last 7 in the last three games, and 4 for his last 21. He was a big key to our success so far, but has really dropped off the last few games. UD has made a bad habit of jumping out to leads and nearly giving them back. Our last 6 games, we didn’t finish teams off like we had earlier in the year.

Interested to see if Evans plays. He surely won’t be close to 100% if he does. He killed us in both games last year.

On paper, Dayton matches up well against VCU. We start essentially 2 point guards, all 5 starters can handle the ball, we’re a very good passing team, and shoot it well, while taking good shots.

That said, Flyers are due for a loss and the Rams are due for a win so it should be a great game.
Good analysis.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
We will be hosting a top 10 NCAA A-10 team, and you think the fans aren’t going to blow the roof off the Stu. I hope you will be there to see how faithful the VCU fans are as I am sure you are one of them.
There's still tickets available the day before hosting a top 5 nationally ranked team for a team that "sells out" every game. Plenty of tickets for relatively cheap on stubhub. Definitely lost its luster.

RamCrazy

Top Member
Insider
Mar 13, 2011
Not sure if this is correct, but I heard this game is a black out. Just superstition, but we have a losing record when we wear our black uniforms. Undefeated in our Gold! Just saying. Black in the arena and gold on floor. Could look pretty cool.
Really? I know white outs absolutely guarantee a loss. Butler was a black out.

Jan 15, 2020
We will be hosting a top 10 NCAA A-10 team, and you think the fans aren’t going to blow the roof off the Stu. I hope you will be there to see how faithful the VCU fans are as I am sure you are one of them.
I have a ticket. I’ve been looking forward to this game since it looked like Dayton would run the table. To say I’m annoyed about the recent turn of this season would be a severe understatement. This game had the chance to be absolutely legacy crowd wise. You knew the Corp folks would cash in on the diehards like they do for big games and Siegel would have its real crowd. Not the watered down version these days. I was at UR and watched us get manhandled waiting for us to push back. I figure I’ll see one of the greatest home wins ever or one of the biggest butt kickings ever. Just sad this team has denied the arena and fans the hype it should have. Quite simply this game should in theory beat Texas, Butler, Oklahoma, LSU, etc

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I have a ticket. I’ve been looking forward to this game since it looked like Dayton would run the table. To say I’m annoyed about the recent turn of this season would be a severe understatement. This game had the chance to be absolutely legacy crowd wise. You knew the Corp folks would cash in on the diehards like they do for big games and Siegel would have its real crowd. Not the watered down version these days. I was at UR and watched us get manhandled waiting for us to push back. I figure I’ll see one of the greatest home wins ever or one of the biggest butt kickings ever. Just sad this team has denied the arena and fans the hype it should have. Quite simply this game should in theory beat Texas, Butler, Oklahoma, LSU, etc
Well the game has not been played yet so maybe it will still live up to the hype.

Ryan_VCURam2k1

Top Member
Mar 24, 2014
There's still tickets available the day before hosting a top 5 nationally ranked team for a team that "sells out" every game. Plenty of tickets for relatively cheap on stubhub. Definitely lost its luster.
While I won't say the luster isn't there because it's not a top 15+ matchup; the scheduling here is killing me in find someone else to go. I have tickets guaranteed and can't find another person willing to hit up Broad Street on a Tuesday night at 8:30 pm; especially some of my class of 2001 that have kids hitting the bed around then. If anything TV controlling the purse strings makes for live viewing pretty much a tougher deal for most people.

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
Every Dayton fan that has a Twitter account is absolute filth. Those that eschew social media and just show up to root for their team seem to be OK.

I hope Obi misses every dunk he tries (I'm gonna be disappointed).

Reactions: mrgeode and SWV