The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

Feb 16, 2017
There's still tickets available the day before hosting a top 5 nationally ranked team for a team that "sells out" every game. Plenty of tickets for relatively cheap on stubhub. Definitely lost its luster.
Yep. Sad, but true. The last two losses I think are really starting to carry over.

Reactions: RamStrut
Dec 2, 2012
I hope all the corporate jackholes stay home.

I hope all the fair weather fans burn all their VCU gear and move to Austin.

I hope all the MR second guessers take a big cash payout and move to Baton Rouge.

I really, really hope they ANNOUNCE the sellout streak is broken, so the real fans can hold it over all the people who didn't show up.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Dec 2, 2012
Can’t control who is not there, but this prodigal ram expects those fans that are there to fill any voids and bring this one home!!! Now is the time to lick our wounds, circle the wagons and start a streak!
Licking?

And Streaking?

Reactions: PRock

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Tickets are going for essentially face value on tickets one day before a top 5 team comes in for the first time. That says everything.
UVA, Texas, LSU, and now Dayton ticket prices have ALL been face value on game day.

If you want to say the luster has been lost for this matchup because of our last two losses then you may have an argument, but ticket prices don’t affect this IMO. They probs alt should be sports in 2020 are having issues with attendance now.

May 19, 2015
There's still tickets available the day before hosting a top 5 nationally ranked team for a team that "sells out" every game. Plenty of tickets for relatively cheap on stubhub. Definitely lost its luster.
There are tickets available before every single “sold out” VCU game. Come on my friend. You of all posters know better than that. 😉

Jan 15, 2020
UVA, Texas, LSU, and now Dayton ticket prices have ALL been face value on game day.

If you want to say the luster has been lost for this matchup because of our last two losses then you may have an argument, but ticket prices don’t affect this IMO. They probs alt should be sports in 2020 are having issues with attendance now.
Texas and UVA went for a 100 on secondary markets if not higher and those were upper corner.

VAHills

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2013
As bad as the last 2 games were, I still believe we have enough for the stars to align and we win convincingly. Our shots fall, we find the will to play defense and rebound, and Dayton has an off-night. It will be reported to be the 150th consecutive sellout against the highest ranked team we’ve ever hosted. Here’s hoping it’s a story we tell for years!

Jan 15, 2020
Since it’s been a topic I do agree there are some Dayton tools on twitter but we have our fair share of twitter tools as well. Some of which make us look bad. The Dayton fans at their games are actually quite nice. Yeah we got a hard time from the students and young alum that honestly I think were half plastered but many compliment our team and our success. One fan took a picture of me and my vcu flag with another VCU fan in the arena last year after we won. Some even invited us out for drinks after. I think when you throw aside the sweater vest/ weird VCU attire jokes as well as the private/public stuff we’re actually not so different. Both fanbases are very knowledgeable and pretty respectful. My hope is if one of us moves the other comes because the games are great and it is nice to occasionally go on a road game where you don’t get ripped a new one by fans like you do at St Bonnie, URI(Given they have a few cool fans), and Mason.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Honestly, with four A10 tourneys and on average two away games per year on my CV, the only fans i find truly objectionable are UR and Mason.

Frankly, i can take and give a lot of smack—but the consistent and virtually universal “academics” battle cry from those two fan bases is lazy, inaccurate, undeserved and trifling. Obviously, most fans are good people call it 90-10 (good to bad), those two fan bases though, seem more like 60-40 (good to bad) in general douchebaggery, which makes this past week especially painful.

I’d rather have Bonnies on a bender and/or angry foul mouthed rhody fans to the house for dinner than those classless clowns.

• Wow

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010
Old “Eric Lopez” on twitter certainly is a colorful Dayton fan. I was just getting ready to say Dayton fans are a classy bunch.

Some of the fan base twitter comments would make some fantastic bulletin board material in the BDC prior to games. Good stuff, starting stuff!

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
As bad as the last 2 games were, I still believe we have enough for the stars to align and we win convincingly. Our shots fall, we find the will to play defense and rebound, and Dayton has an off-night. It will be reported to be the 150th consecutive sellout against the highest ranked team we’ve ever hosted. Here’s hoping it’s a story we tell for years!
It's a make or miss game. Make a few more we might've won at home against Mason even with no other changes. If DJ or Bones see some shots fall early...

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Honestly, with four A10 tourneys and on average two away games per year on my CV, the only fans i find truly objectionable are UR and Mason.

Frankly, i can take and give a lot of smack—but the consistent and virtually universal “academics” battle cry from those two fan bases is lazy, inaccurate, undeserved and trifling. Obviously, most fans are good people call it 90-10 (good to bad), those two fan bases though, seem more like 60-40 (good to bad) in general douchebaggery, which makes this past week especially painful.

I’d rather have Bonnies on a bender and/or angry foul mouthed rhody fans to the house for dinner than those classless clowns.
C'mon, be serious. Nobody from Mason has ever seriously touted their academics to you unless you've only ever talked to people in their law program (which is still a stretch).