The Beat the Nationally Ranked Dayton Flyers in the Stu Thread

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
C'mon, be serious. Nobody from Mason has ever seriously touted their academics to you unless you've only ever talked to people in their law program (which is still a stretch).
Oh it's true. Take a look at their message boards sometime when a VCU game is on the horizon. The jokes about VCU McDonalds workers flow freely.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
When we were at the First 4 game in Dayton in 2011, one of their fans came down from his seat and told me i was "cheering too loud" and asked me to be quieter. 😮😮. There were 2 guys to my right that had UNC stuff on. They just looked at me like "wow. Did that really just happen." Ive never had anything like that ever happen before anywhere. Ive been to arenas all over the place. I was dumbfounded for a second. Then i just shrugged it off and continued cheering our Rams on to victory!
I would have laughed my ass off, and then cheered louder....

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
The jokes about VCU McDonalds workers flow freely.
As opposed to the darn McFlurry machine :evil:

That's a shame, though. Defining someone by their means of employment is pretty classless; human beings are much more than the sum of their economic input and output. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. NOVA is full of entitled jerks whose worst struggle in life has been what to do when they can't get said McFlurry.*

*Defining people by the geographical area they live in, however, is in perfect taste.

Last edited:

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
That's a shame, though. Defining someone by where they're employed is pretty classless; human beings are much more than the sum of their economic input and output. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. NOVA is full of entitled jerks whose worst struggle in life has been what to do when they can't get said McFlurry.*
GMU and VCU are more similar than dissimilar. They're both large state universities and GMU's acceptance rate is identical to VCU's. The only big difference is that they're in an expensive suburb and we're in the city. To me, that's a matter of preference.

...but this is a conversation for another thread, I suppose...

Reactions: ssvcu90 and mrgeode
Nov 4, 2011
Just throwing this out there in an optimistic fashion (I have no doubt it'll get thrown right back at me)...if we, and a big IF, beat Dayton tomorrow, get some new found confidence and beat SLU, we're right back in the tournament discussion. Our metrics will see a pretty sharp increase and we would also benefit from the national buzz of taking down Dayton. I realize it's an incredibly tall task, but a little optimism doesn't hurt. Also crazy to think that it'd be possible not to get a double bye, and still be in the at-large discussion should that happen.

Here's to hoping one bad week doesn't derail a season that once had so much promise. Hit our shots, run them off the 3 point line, REBOUND, and don't let Toppin do chin-ups on the rim in transition every other time up and down the floor and we have a chance.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Just throwing this out there in an optimistic fashion (I have no doubt it'll get thrown right back at me)...if we, and a big IF, beat Dayton tomorrow, get some new found confidence and beat SLU, we're right back in the tournament discussion. Our metrics will see a pretty sharp increase and we would also benefit from the national buzz of taking down Dayton. I realize it's an incredibly tall task, but a little optimism doesn't hurt. Also crazy to think that it'd be possible not to get a double bye, and still be in the at-large discussion should that happen.

Here's to hoping one bad week doesn't derail a season that once had so much promise. Hit our shots, run them off the 3 point line, REBOUND, and don't let Toppin do chin-ups on the rim in transition every other time up and down the floor and we have a chance.
Why would this get thrown back in your face, it is both positive and reasonable......

92VCUpikapp

Top Member
Dec 21, 2010

I like it. We need to exploit the contact Toppin makes when he sets his screens at the top of the key. Need to get him and Crutcher in foul trouble early to stand a fighters chance.

Nov 4, 2011
I like it. We need to exploit the contact Toppin makes when he sets his screens at the top of the key. Need to get him and Crutcher in foul trouble early to stand a fighters chance.
Very much agree. Toppin is a lazy screen setter at the top of they key, especially in a pick and pop. It's almost like he's too excited in anticipation of getting the ball and doesn't stand his ground long enough. I've seen him do it in pretty much every game of theirs I've watched, and a lot of them could be called as a moving screen. Anyways, yeah, sell it big time (one of ME's specialties). I hate to root for such a lame, inconsequential part of a play, but we're desperate for this one, so I'll take what we can get. Obi foul trouble honestly needs to be a focus.

Jan 15, 2020
Very much agree. Toppin is a lazy screen setter at the top of they key, especially in a pick and pop. It's almost like he's too excited in anticipation of getting the ball and doesn't stand his ground long enough. I've seen him do it in pretty much every game of theirs I've watched, and a lot of them could be called as a moving screen. Anyways, yeah, sell it big time (one of ME's specialties). I hate to root for such a lame, inconsequential part of a play, but we're desperate for this one, so I'll take what we can get. Obi foul trouble honestly needs to be a focus.
I don't care if we have to smash into him driving into lane the first 6 possessions but have to get fouls on him. Make the ref think everytime there’s contact. The crowd reactions may influence them.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
We will be hosting a top 10 NCAA A-10 team, and you think the fans aren’t going to blow the roof off the Stu. I hope you will be there to see how faithful the VCU fans are as I am sure you are one of them.
I can tell you for one @rambunctiousrowdyram is one of the faithful fans... but he's also realistic. Just like me. And lets be honest, even prior to the Mason Loss & the Fur loss (on the road)… there was already a lot of discussion this year about the energy level in the Stu.... was it because of the Band, Lack of Student involvement, the on court promotions in game.... or was it just our play in general that was hurting the environment. Maybe it was a little bit of all of it.

And sure we have a Top 5 team coming into the Stu tomorrow.... and if you just look at the matchup, and don't look at how we've played 3 of the last 4 games... then yeah... there's A LOT to get excited for... It would be like Butler when they came back to the Stu after beating us in the Final 4.... that place was absolutely Bonkers.

However, with the recent trend of events, going from Firmly entrenched in the Top 3... to losing 3 out of 4 games, our starting PG getting hurt AGAIN, and just trying to fight to stay in the Top 8.... and fans with a lot of questions about the "elephant in the room" and who or what it is.

He's got a valid level of concern about whether fans are going to blow the roof off the STU... sure it may start off loud like any game, especially against a Rival or Ranked Opponent....

But what happens if we start struggling offensively again, and what happens if on the defense we are giving up wide open 3's & layups. And what if we give up another 10-0, or 20-0 nothing run again? Which Dayton is certainly capable of as we saw in the first match up before "the sky was falling" for VCU & their fans. The STU would end up being an ice cold environment for everyone except for Dayton & their fans.

UVA, Texas, LSU, and now Dayton ticket prices have ALL been face value on game day.

If you want to say the luster has been lost for this matchup because of our last two losses then you may have an argument, but ticket prices don’t affect this IMO. They probs alt should be sports in 2020 are having issues with attendance now.
Uva, Texas & LSU were most certainly not face value... and if they were someone musta been desperate to get rid of them (for some reason)… because especially for Texas and LSU tickets up in the corners were going for $100 for a ticket.... heck we had posters on here (who I won't call out) who were charging $300+ for a pair of tickets to those games & they were like 20+ rows from the floor & not event center court seats.

If Dayton tickets are going for face value right now.... then clearly it's either fans who can't make the game because it starts too late for them.... or it's people selling extra tickets for face value, because they know that the way we are playing as of late, and with all the fans who think "the sky is falling" or something similar to that.... no one is going to pay $75-100 for a ticket in the corner to come watch Dayton blow the doors off of us.... assuming that's what happens.

I have season tickets, so I don't have to worry about it.... but if I didn't, I certainly would not pay above face value for a ticket to this game knowing what could potentially happen based on how we've played 3 out of the last 4 games..... and I'm a diehard fan.

• Wow
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014

And if he does do chin-ups on the rim the zebras better give him a technical & we better make the shots. I wouldn’t be sad if Obi got thrown out of the game.
I need to settle down now.😃