mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
1) MBJ my new favorite player;
2) this team plays the best defense without racking up the fouls we have seen;
3) the team can play against the zone . . . that wasn't true 2 weeks ago;
4) team leaders are asserting themselves;
5) Coach can coach; and
after VCU beat Northeastern (coached by Jim Calhoun) in the NCAAs in one of the most joyous VCU games I've attended, they lost the next day to a Pearl Washington-led Cuse team. I can now rest.
Man, you've seen some things if you remember the Pearl. Glad we got a little bit of long-awaited payback tonight.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
so why did we decidew to wait until game 5 to actually start going inside out ?
yes we had a good game and thats great.
I'm suggesting that we had a good game because of what we did differently. One of the things we do a lot (get the impediment to us in foul trouble namely the center) also made the rest work so much better.
have a drink.
started now because they are a bunch of young guys, many of whom haven't played together before and it took a while to click. Get used it, we're dealing with college students after all, they are still learning.

rammad90

Elite Member
first we shot a little better then we started going inside out and started shooting a lot better as a result.
they got rattled, their only effective big got his ass in foul trouble and that was that. That 5th foul he committed was so darn stupid I couldnt believe it. that sealed the deal. Him being out much of the 2nd half made Levi's job way kind of easier and hurt their offense by taking awau their inside out.
Can we now give Levi his due? Some were calling for him to be benched. Does that same crew still want him to sit?

As I stated earlier, if we play inside out, instead of just jacking up 3's as the clock runs out, we will be successful. Not saying we win all our games but with our D we will be competitive.

Levi was working his butt off in the UT-C game but he didnt get the ball in the post. This time he did we got a win over an ACC team, a TV win, a Tournament win, and a much needed win.

This feels great!

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Can we now give Levi his due? Some were calling for him to be benched. Does that same crew still want him to sit?

As I stated earlier, if we play inside out, instead of just jacking up 3's as the clock runs out, we will be successful. Not saying we win all our games but with our D we will be competitive.

Levi was working his butt off in the UT-C game but he didnt get the ball in the post. This time he did we got a win over an ACC team, a TV win, a Tournament win, and a much needed win.

This feels great!
It was pretty amazing ro see Levi operate in the paint. It was Vince who was getting the ball to him consistently. Having received the ball Levi either hit the open man or went to the rim with the ball. I have not seen a VCU team so disciplined on offense since J.D. Barnett

HBK

Elite Member
I'm suggesting that we had a good game because of what we did differently. One of the things we do a lot (get the impediment to us in foul trouble namely the center) also made the rest work so much better.
have a drink.
What games have you been watching? Players have been coached from day one to play inside out. In other words, to get paint touches. That doesn’t always mean throwing an entry pass to a big at the block. It can mean drive and kick, for example. They’ve been trying to go inside out, but haven’t been very good at it. That’s been the problem. Heck, we weren’t very good doing it in the first half against Syracuse either. As guys get game experience playing with each other, they’ll improve. Also, the other team tries to win, too. They have coaches who watch video and scout, just like we do.

I posted on here before the season that we may lose some games to teams that make people scratch their heads. Had two of those already. There may be more. I also mentioned that we’d improve and be much better by Christmas, and hopefully much, much better by March.

Our offensive flow was better against Vandy than it had been in games 1 and 2, even though it didn’t show in points scored. Our flow and shooting was better against Chattanooga than it was against Vandy, but it didn’t result in a win because we are very much a work in progress (way too many turnovers and missed FTs in that Chattanooga game). Against Syracuse, the 2nd half was beautiful. We played inside out, made shots, and only turned the ball over 4 times. That’s called improvement. It’s when players carry over what they’ve been taught and what they practice every stinking day to the game.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Yes. It’s situational. Yesterday was the perfect situation for him just like it was for Marcus( non extending zone allowed him the time to set and get his shot off). A single game does not change the collective. We are almost certain to not play against that style again. For argument sake. Khris Lane was a 7/4 guy his season at VCU(13/7 before coming to VCU) At George Mason he went 25/12. Should his role have been different based on that one. Game?

HBK

Elite Member
Man, you've seen some things if you remember the Pearl. Glad we got a little bit of long-awaited payback tonight.
I still remember watching live on ESPN as Pearl hit that epic half court shot to beat Boston College at the buzzer in the Dome. He shot itand never stopped running into the locker room.

Ramdog

Elite Member
have a drink.
I know a lot of posters say this but it bears repeating

you are truly clueless